(0 notes)
Plans for a Small Kitchen
Image 2
(0 notes)
Plans for a Small Kitchen
Image 3
(0 notes)
Plans for a Small Kitchen by LennyMM
Click the plus button to add a note to any image on this page. Then, discuss the highlighted area in the thread below
NEW! Add YOUR notes to LennyMM's image!
Click the "+" button to add a note.
Loading tags ...
Add Note to Image
Add Note
Posted By LennyMM   |   Visit LennyMM's Gallery   |   Original image in the Kitchen Planning Gallery

Old Sep 9th, 09, 8:36 am   #1
LennyMM
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 3,895
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-New York:Hicksville
IKEA Kitchen Photo: Plans for a Small Kitchen

Image Title: Plans for a Small Kitchen
Description: Small Kitchen

Share |

LennyMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Sep 9th, 09, 8:45 am  
IKEA FAN

Re: IKEA Kitchen Photo: Plans for a Small Kitchen

Sorry, I didn't quite know how to do this. But here goes anyway.

The plans need a bit of explanation for you can't do everything you want with the planning program.

Doors are just entrances; there are no "doors".

The two 30" wall cabinets are intended to be mounted higher, matching the others at the top. A lap top computer and a bulletin board will live underneath.

A full size FD refrigerator will be set back 3" or so into a wall cavity.

The "white" cabinet will not be there, just a space under the counter for a stool.

The counters will be "shaped" near the small door.

Groceries come in through the small door.

The 18" cabinet to the right of the DW is a Rev-a-Shelf Waste pull out 5349-18DM-2

The counters will be quartz with an undermount double SS sink.

Should we mount the dining room light over the table or in the middle of the room?

All suggestions gratefully welcome.

Thanks.

Share |

Last edited by LennyMM; Sep 9th, 09 at 3:02 pm..
Old Sep 9th, 09, 10:49 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 24,765
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
I've been blogged!

You sure did a great job designing this kitchen; it looks very functional to me. The only thing that jumps out to me is the size of the cabinet above the fridge: "Can you make it taller?" You only need about 1" on all side for heat to dissipate unless your fridge vents on the bottom.

Share |
designbymeiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 09, 12:48 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 360

Hi LennyMM,

Looks like you did a great job with the design! I'm just starting the process of redoing my kitchen, so I'm always looking for ideas.

One thing that jumps out at me is the jog in the base cabinet to the left of the stove. I can't tell the width of the narrow-depth one, but make sure you aren't crowding the entry into the kitchen. You'll want at least 36" or so in front of that door/opening before an obstruction (it looks like you've got maybe 24"?) I'm not sure if you have the ability to squeak the stove over to the right a bit, or better yet, lose the desk area (or cabinet next to the fridge if you want the workstation) and relocate the opening. Then you could put full depth cabinets all the way to the wall.

I'm not sure if that is feasible for you, but it would improve the function of the layout (moving an opening isn't really as scary as it may sound!)

Cheers!

Share |
Jurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 09, 3:23 pm  
IKEA FAN

Thank you very much for your comments.

Designbymeiny, I agree with you about the cabinet over the refrigerator. But DW saw a model kitchen at IKEA which had the short cabinet with two straw baskets on the refrigerator and under the cabinet. Our present refrigerator has a bunch of stuff on top (including lots of candy) and she thought getting all of the things into baskets was a neat idea.

Jurfie, you're entirely right about that jog. It's one we live with now. Each of those cabinets is 15". We could go to an 18" near the door and a 12" full depth, but we've tried to keep away from 12" cabinets as much as possible. The counter on the right will have a smooth "S" curve. I don't thnk DW would want to move the range over, but that never occurred to us. That's why having someone peek over our shoulders is great. No, the door cannot be budged.

Share |
Old Sep 9th, 09, 4:37 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 24,765
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
I've been blogged!

Jurfie makes a very valid point about about moving the door opening to be able to place a full 24" deep cabinet there. Just wonder what is in the way of moving that doorway 12" towards the fridge? I would not move the stove closer to the sink but rather center it on the width of the kitchen.

Share |
designbymeiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 09, 3:45 am  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 46,526
Gallery: 44
Doorstyle: Adel Medium Brown

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!

One of the tricks I learned from hanging around here is how to show entrances into rooms. You create them as windows that are 0" off the floor and then the actual width and height of the opening. I found it much easier to visualize my openings after I did this in my planner.

I too am concerned with the configuration near the range. I understand the reasoning behind why you put shallow depth cabinet to the left of the range. However I am still concerned that you will not have adequate space for an easy entry into the kitchen. Moving the range is a logical option but in your case that would encroach on your corner cabinet.

I think you'd be better off with a narrower cabinet there. A 12" pullout for spices, oils, etc. or a 9" Perfekt shelf for cookbooks followed by a shallow depth cabinet as you have now? I know that it is preferable to have as much landing space as possible on each side of a range and while my suggestion is not an ideal solution you would have some space albeit most of it shallow. I feel that every inch you gain near this smaller opening is important to establishing an efficient and safe flow in the kitchen.

IMO you may also want to rework the laptop bulletin board area. I think that area you intend to have an overhang for a stool is extending too far into the opening into the kitchen, especially since you enter this way with groceries. I also feel that the wall cabinet above that space is going to be dangerous as it juts into the room. I've seen some people use a shallow depth cabinet with a full depth counter to accommodate a small desk area for a laptop. This way the stool would fit in front of the cabinet and you'd be able to eliminate the overhang which would help open up the space. My thoughts are that if you did this you'd be able to go with a cabinet that is a few inches wider on the left side of your range as the traffic flow would now be more towards the right rather than straight into the kitchen.

I too like the look of baskets on top of the fridge. I had wanted to do it in my kitchen. Are you using existing your fridge or buying new? The reason I'm asking is that the door style can be a factor on whether baskets are an option. For example on my fridge the hinges are hidden by the door. This means that the doors are actually higher than the top of the fridge. I couldn't remove a basket on top of my fridge unless I opened the doors.

The only other option I am seeing is eliminating both Perfekt corner shelves and then replacing the corner wall cabinet with a regular cabinet. This way you would be opening up the window a bit more; that is assuming you don't intend on using the corner shelves for a specific purpose.

How about adding some glass doors? The cabinet next to the larger opening would look really nice with glass doors. You'd be able to see them from the adjacent room. This is what I did in my kitchen which looks especially nice when I turn on the lights inside the cabinet.

One final note, don't forget you'll need fillers next to the walls in order for the doors to open fully.

Share |
Old Sep 11th, 09, 9:55 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,341

It seems to me that you could do with a bigger sink. I think that could be a bigger sink centered in front of the window there.

Yes, your fridge is cabinet-depth which is 24" deep - make sure you know that when you are shopping.

That's a narrow passage way from the narrow door past the stove.... on the diagonal - how far is that ?

I'd make the high cab next to the stove a pullout, but leave the high cab next to the large door just a simple door if people tend to congregate there.

Share |
Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 09, 9:00 am  
IKEA FAN

Thanks again everyone for comments.

We've lived with this entrance "jog" for a whilde and have a sense of what we can get away with. Do wish that Ikea offered diagonal fronts like some of the traditional lines.

crg2mis, DW wants the Perfekt shelves for plants and such. Interesting that these shelves have been discontinued in all but white for the 2010 catalog. However I picked up one of the last pair in birch. It's the only item I've purchased to date. As a close out I got them for 1/2 price.

We will, I think adopt your suggestion of glass doors for the last cabinet to the right of the sink. I think the Adel Birch glass has been changed. Do you know?

Goodwin, yes we are planning on a larger under mount sink, probably a double Ticor, but maybe a single.

The refrigerator will likely be a Samsung standard FD. Though it's against a supporting wall, part of it will be removed and a header installed. So the refrigerator will be set in about 3 inches. I think we can live with that.

Interesting suggestion about the high cabinet next to the stove. Do you mean the 12" one to the right of the stove? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a wall cabinet pullout. Any pictures?

Thanks.

Share |
Old Sep 13th, 09, 5:09 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,341

Not a wall cabinet, a high cabinet with a pullout.

If you are in the Kitchen Planner, go to High Cabinets, 80" high, Pantrycabinets with pull out function. THere are two sizes 15x80x24 and 24x80x24.

The "door" is actually a panel that pulls straight out from the cabinet frame and it pulls the top and bottom shelves out with it. Inside the cabinet are three more pullout shelves that pull out individually.

Since it doesn't completely obscure your view when it's open, I like it a bit better in a cramped space. Also, you can open it just a couple of inches if you put the most used items on the front of the shelf nearest the door.

I just checked the 2010 catalog, and there is no picture of one. Sorry.

Share |
Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment