LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Oct 31st, 09, 7:51 pm   #1
one1cent
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 4,521
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Philadelphia:Conshohocken
Doorstyle: Applad white, Lidi, adel white ??
open upper cabinets, no doors

Has anyone used the upper cabinets without the doors for an open shelf look. I am set on doing this, but I am wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of OR do differently.

Share |

one1cent is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Oct 31st, 09, 10:38 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 2,710
My IKEA: USA-Pittsburgh
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch
Re: open upper cabinets, no doors

Which door style are you planning to use? The cabinet boxes only come in white and birch, so if you're not using white or birch doors, the open cabinets will look very different from the rest of your cabinets.

Also, most of the cabinets have pre-drilled holes running down the entire length of both sides of the interior. This is to give you options as to where to place shelves, etc. So with open cabinets, you'd be able to see the holes.

Share |
pintlala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 09, 11:09 pm  
IKEA FAN

I am using applad white on the base cabinets and a few wall cabinets and 1 wall cabinet with lidi glass

Share |
Old Nov 1st, 09, 12:24 am  

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!

We have some open cabs and it looks pretty decent with the Stat/Lidi/Applad white finish.
You can see a door next to an opening of just cabs here--and I'd say the lighting in this photo actually exaggerates the difference--I don't usually notice it even this much:
Click for larger version

Share |
NBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 09, 12:37 am  
Installer

iKarma: 18,053
Gallery: 51
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Kalsebo, Arlig Beech
I've been blogged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1cent View Post
but I am wondering if there is anything I need to be aware of OR do differently.
Two words: DUST and GREASE.

Share |
Old Nov 1st, 09, 12:39 am  

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 

I've been blogged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd40 View Post
Two words: DUST and GREASE.
Dust is a factor for us, yes, but not grease.
And that's considering that we only have a downdraft range, which is less efficient at catching grease than other alternatives might be.

Share |
Old Nov 1st, 09, 11:34 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 120,815
Gallery: 8
My IKEA: USA-Tampa:Ybor City
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown-Black +Abstrakt & Rubrik White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 6

I've been blogged!

Your downdraft may be a LOT more efficient than you think. I collect Fiesta, a line of vintage American dishware. In my last kitchen we installed open Lack shelves to display some of my collection. I can tell you that grease was a major problem for us. We had to take everything down and wash it at least once a quarter.

Luckily, we only displayed washable dishes. Then again, we also had to wash down the cabinets, glass doors, pulls, backsplash, and even walls from time to time. Maybe we're just slobs, but in our kitchens, grease seems to get everywhere. But, we are also everyday cooks who do a lot of stovetop frying, pan frying, sauteing, and grilling.

I'm certainly not trying to change anyone's mind about open display. Dare I talk! I love it and am still committed to display space in the new kitchen. Just reiterating that, in my case, grease was a problem. Dust was a problem only that it collected on the grease... So I am researching and plan to invest in the best ventilation system I can afford and use it religiously. (Recommendations welcomed!)

This is even more important now because we have knocked down walls and moved to the popular open concept plan. Basically, our whole house has become one big kitchen - which has opened up a completely different set of livability challenges, but that's another thread all by itself.... Did I mention that we need a low sones exhaust system? Arrrrgh....

Share |
Old Nov 1st, 09, 2:22 pm  
IKEA FAN

I guess I should have been more specific... I'm not really concerned about the cleaning aspect. I won't be using it so much as display, but for everyday items that will be within reach while cooking ect... so they will be cleaned on a regular basis anyway.
I guess what I want to know is, will they look OK without doors and is there anything I'll need to do differently with installation. What about the part that attaches to the rail and those plastic cover things? Will they look bad? Any way to disguise them?

Share |
Old Nov 1st, 09, 2:30 pm  

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

We no longer do deep frying since we moved into this place. We grill outdoors (California lifestyle!) but we do cook sausages or bacon once most weekends with a splatter screen. The downdraft IS more effective than I had feared, but maybe I just don't notice the grease!

Share |
Old Nov 1st, 09, 2:59 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 13,550
Gallery: 10
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Elizabeth
Doorstyle: Fagerland

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I think that the boxes themselves should look good, but it's good that you are thinking about the plastic rail covers. What I might do in your case is to get some white electrical tape or even just white paper and cover them before snapping them on to the attachment points. If they're white they won't be noticeable at all. If you leave them gray, you could also hide them by putting one of the top shelves fairly high up, so that the shelf is in the way of the sightline to the back edge of the cabinet.

The other place you might have trouble (with or without doors), is on the outside sides of the cabinet where they meet the wall. If you aren't planning on any cover panels, there will be a small gap. Some folks cover this nicely up with a piece of white trim, others choose to use cover panels for this reason. If you aren't having doors, I think it might look funny to have a cover panel on the side of your open cabinets.

Share |
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment