Espo
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 18,974
Gallery: 33
My IKEA: USA-Orlando
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown-Black, Applad White
I've been blogged!
Blum Tip-on (push to open drawers)

I think I may have found something that will work with the Ikea Blum drawers if someone can confirm that the Ikea drawers use the Tandem 562H without blumotion. I think blumotion is the self closing mechanism, which is added onto the rails. I know Blum now makes a rail with blumotion built in. So I think this product replaces the blumotion add on, to let you open drawers by pushing on them so they pop out.

please look at this link: Heartland Hardware, Inc. - Blum TIP-ON for TANDEM

and this is the pdf of the 562H runners...looks familiar right?

http://www.cabinethw.com/description...pecs/b562h.pdf

Share |

Espo is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Nov 13th, 09, 6:15 pm  
IKEA FANatic

I've been blogged!
Re: Blum Tip-on (push to open drawers)

I spoke with someone at that link through an online chat and he said the tip-on would work with the ikea drawers as long as they were blum tandembox. So I an encouraged to think this will work. This would be perfect for someone that wanted to add a toe-kick drawer under a cabinet. I would add it to my own kitchen but these new cabinets already have 10x the storage of my old kitchen. Theres no way I could ever fill them up.

Share |
Old Nov 13th, 09, 6:36 pm  

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!

Self closing is built in, I believe. We had to add dampers so they would close gently--otherwise they're too enthusiastic

Share |
NBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 09, 6:45 pm  
IKEA FANatic

I've been blogged!

You are correct, the drawers are self-closing. From what I gather, "blumotion" refers to the smooth soft closing action that is a result of the various dampers available for the different hinges and drawers. The dampers we add to the drawer slides are what make the "blumotion" effect. This link I found illustrates this.

BLUMOTION

Therefore I belive the "tip-on" is a replacement for the blumotion damper which allows the drawer to be opened by pressing in on it slightly, eliminating the need for handles. This would be a great addition to the Ikeafan knowledge base if it does in fact work with our drawer slides.

Share |
Old Nov 13th, 09, 7:02 pm  
IKEA FANatic

I've been blogged!

I found an image of what the tip-on system looks like. Its not how I thought it was.

Since the drawers do self-close (and mighty hard I might add) this probably won't work after all. Bummer.

Share |
Old Nov 15th, 09, 2:23 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 121,122
Gallery: 8
My IKEA: USA-Tampa:Ybor City
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown-Black +Abstrakt & Rubrik White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 6

I've been blogged!

Thanks for the info. Knowing what won't work is just as valuable as knowing what will....

Share |
Old Dec 15th, 09, 12:50 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 16,992
Gallery: 41
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Abstrakt white

I think those would work. Blumotion is only the damping mechanism (the self closing of Tandem is apparently called Blumatic). The Tip-on may only work without the damping mechanism if the latter provides too much friction for the Tip-on to overcome?

I'd love handleless cabinets (though the glossy foil finish of Abstrakt White may make me regret saying so), but if I have to choose between a soft close and that the soft-close probably wins (and is already installed....)

YA

Edit: maybe not custom drawers with blumotion tip on

Re-Edit: DEFINITELY NOT: I called Blum and they said not on Tandembox rails.

Share |

Last edited by drcrash; Dec 15th, 09 at 2:43 pm..
drcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 10, 6:47 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 4,462
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Canada-Montreal:Boucherville
Doorstyle: Askome

it's because of the distance to travel. Tip-On springs push over a distance of much less than an inch. To open Tandembox requires a pull over more than an inch to overcome the hump resistance built in. Same thing for Besta springs by Ikea.

Share |
DavidRo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 11, 2:04 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 209
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: United Kingdom-London:Edmonton

those who say the self closing is very hard have not installed them for soft close - once in and connected you have to flip them off the connection then the next time they connect they operate as self close - I know as I went back to the shop to moan about the fast close and was told how to do it by their installers

Share |
olivetree61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment