Old Jan 28th, 10, 6:43 pm   #1
MCODave
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 13,049
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Orlando
Doorstyle: Adel MB, Applad White
What to buy at Ikea?

In the article "Why I Love Ikea Kitchens" by Carol Reed that Quiltmaster linked to about a week ago, Ms. Reed says:

“...use only their cabinetry. Purchase sinks, faucets, lighting, handles/knobs, appliances and kitchen furniture elsewhere or your kitchen will look like an ikea showroom display,” and
“don’t buy their appliances with the Ikea logo on it!”

So, assuming a complete kitchen remodel, there are a lot of choices on what to buy at Ikea and what to buy elsewhere.

For instance, we already have our wall oven and cooktop (can’t pass up a new 30” Jenn Air convection oven for $250), so we won’t get them at Ikea. But we are planning on getting the Renlig “integrated” dishwasher because we love the look and can’t find anything like it elsewhere for under $1,000. Also, we are considering the Nutid CD fridge, but only after we shopped at the other big-boxes & realized it was a pretty good deal.

How about countertops? I like the Ikea butcherblock, but can’t see using it everywhere. The hoods? I think the wall-mount models are a good deal, but we need an island-mount and think we can save money elsewhere. What about faucets and sinks? I like the Domsjo farmhouse sinks, but don’t care for the rest of Ikea’s sinks. We haven’t even started to look at faucets, so who knows about that?

So, what do you plan on buying Ikea vs. elsewhere, and why? Is anyone planning on buying Ikea appliances to get a bigger discount on their total kitchen purchase (assuming the 2010 spring sale works like prior years’)?

Share |

MCODave is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jan 28th, 10, 7:11 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 175,863
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise
Doorstyle: Stat or Lidi

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Re: What to buy at Ikea?

She's very out of touch on several things, like the fact that Ikea gave up on that hideous badging of appliances some time ago. If you'd be happy with frigidaire quality, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an ikea appliance, since that's what they are.

I don't know why she's dead set against the hardware, either. Lots of cabinet snobs who wouldn't be caught dead with ikea cabs in their kitchens buy handles from ikea.

I'd buy butcherblock or pragel from ikea, but not granite or quartz--that's just like buying it from HD or Lowes. Same stuff only with a big premium for the store. Go direct on that.

Sinks and faucets? I'd buy a domsjo in a heartbeat. Otherwise, personally I don't think they're the same quality as the akurum / rationell products are. Faucets, I'd stick with a good name brand.

But that's all JMO.

Share |
Harpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 10, 8:32 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 121,172
Gallery: 8
My IKEA: USA-Tampa:Ybor City
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown-Black +Abstrakt & Rubrik White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 6

I've been blogged!

Wow. I thought she was just suggesting that with the money saved by buying cabinets, those who can afford to, can splurge on the kitchen jewelry. Unique handles or a special sink really sets your kitchen apart. Use your budget wisely and your kitchen won't look look any other Ikea kitchen. The details are what makes the "WOW factor."

But I do have a dig against Ikea appliances. Appliances are ALWAYS on sale. With wise shopping, you can do really well on appliances, both in price and quality. I got my LGs for 1/2 off retail because they were the 2008 model, plus negotiated another 10% because I was buying three pieces.

Regrettably, their range hoods, are no bargain either. $1000 for a 500 cfm, 8 sones range hood is laughable. I can get a quieter, more powerful one for less than half of that.

With that kind of savings, there's money to upgrade handles, or the range hood, or the cooktop. That's how you get the kind of kitchen where people say, "No.... That can't be Ikea."

p.s. I'm lusting after this range hood... Unfortunately, all of my savings went to upgrading the electrical system. You never know what you're going to find when you start opening walls...

It's never right or wrong, it's only choices.

Share |
Old Jan 28th, 10, 8:53 pm  

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

Quote:
Appliances are ALWAYS on sale. With wise shopping, you can do really well on appliances, both in price and quality.
Very true, but on the other hand, if I needed to buy a couple of ikea appliances to get a higher percentage off during the sale, I wouldn't scorn and flout them, either.

But I do wish their selection in the US weren't so lame compared to what they have in the rest of the world!

Share |
Old Jan 29th, 10, 9:08 am  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 4,000,056,763
Gallery: 34
My IKEA: USA-Baltimore
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown Akurum, bunches of others too.
Where are there better prices on range hoods? I'm quite wide eyed at the prices I'm findinng!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltmaster View Post
Wow. I thought she was just suggesting that with the money saved by buying cabinets, those who can afford to, can splurge on the kitchen jewelry. Unique handles or a special sink really sets your kitchen apart. Use your budget wisely and your kitchen won't look look any other Ikea kitchen. The details are what makes the "WOW factor."

But I do have a dig against Ikea appliances. Appliances are ALWAYS on sale. With wise shopping, you can do really well on appliances, both in price and quality. I got my LGs for 1/2 off retail because they were the 2008 model, plus negotiated another 10% because I was buying three pieces.

Regrettably, their range hoods, are no bargain either. $1000 for a 500 cfm, 8 sones range hood is laughable. I can get a quieter, more powerful one for less than half of that.

With that kind of savings, there's money to upgrade handles, or the range hood, or the cooktop. That's how you get the kind of kitchen where people say, "No.... That can't be Ikea."

p.s. I'm lusting after this range hood... Unfortunately, all of my savings went to upgrading the electrical system. You never know what you're going to find when you start opening walls...

It's never right or wrong, it's only choices.
Posted via Mobile Device

Share |
mams99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 10, 1:03 pm  
Formerly cecfconsult

iKarma: 90,492
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-New Haven
Doorstyle: ALL- I'm a designer.

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I've been blogged!

IKEA's appliances that are sold in the US are actually made by Whirlpool Canada , and haven't had the IKEA logo on them for at least the last year or so. The Renlig integrated dishwasher is just as nice looking, but I'll bet it's a whole lot noisier than its $1K counterparts. I also bet there's someone around here who has one and could tell you for sure.

I noticed that some of the IKEA kitchens in Ms. Reed's article were trimmed out beautifully by what had to be excellent craftsmen (or women). I think that's what makes the biggest difference and sets them apart from the "showroom displays" (and the lack of all those plastic-covered black, white and red tags doesn't hurt either)

Share |
I-PIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 10, 1:29 pm  

LBG Adoptions

Whoops, yes, you are right. I meant to say Whirlpool, not Frigidaire. Thanks for catching that.

Share |

Comment