LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Dec 13th, 06, 11:47 am   #1
eheimlich
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
Over The Range Microwave

We'll be adding an OTR Micro where there wasn't one before. Will we need to have an electrician install the micro? There is a vent hood there now, but it only has a light, no vent.

Share |

eheimlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Dec 13th, 06, 12:30 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 43,014
Gallery: 88
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Stat White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

OTR Microwaves usually plug into a regular plug in the cabinet above it. So, you've likely got electricity there for the light in the hood, and would just need to install an outlet inside your cabinet above the microwave. It's pretty easy to DIY if you've ever worked with electrical before (or even if you haven't, a book will show you how to hook it up - black to brass, white to silver). If not, an electrician would be needed.

Share |
kisaacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 06, 12:53 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Are you going to vent it? If so, you'll need a HVAC guy.

Share |
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 06, 5:12 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,318
Gallery: 109
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Kitchen: Adel Med. Brown / Laundry: Applad White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!
If there was a vent there before there's a good chance it's a drop in - both for the venting and the electricity. Ours plugged into an outlet in the cabinet above and fit right into the existing old vent

Share |
stacylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 06, 11:51 pm  
IKEA FANatic

Gallery: 20
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:College Park
Doorstyle: Hallarum
another thing to consider is that such a unit will require its own circuit in most instances or you'll be resetting the breaker relatively frequently. We just had our electrician finish up running a circuit dedicated to the microwave (countertop style) that's going into our island.

A vented hood circuit may be all on its own already, even if your current hood doesn't have a vent or fan. Definitely check that out.

Share |
animes2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 06, 10:28 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 229
Gallery: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eheimlich View Post
We'll be adding an OTR Micro where there wasn't one before. Will we need to have an electrician install the micro? There is a vent hood there now, but it only has a light, no vent.
A vent but no vent? You mean it's one of those recirculating-charcoal-filter-that-never-gets-cleaned units?

Two things:
1. You want external ventilation.
2. You really want 250-300 cfm on the fan. Most microhoods can only delivery about 200 cfm. Dedicated hood/vents are also much quieter than microhoods.

The question implies you don't have the chops to cut a hole in your kitchen to the outside of your house. Not many of us have such ambition. You will need an HVAC company or a full-service electrician to do the work for you. Use someone you know or get at least two bids. It's a simple, two-hour job for an experienced outfit but it can also be a total disaster if there is hidden stuff in the wall or you do not do your homework and prep.

You will want a very high quality vent cover on the exterior fitting. Do not scrimp on this since it protects your kitchen from bugs and birds and chilly breezes.

david boise ID

Share |
bogiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 06, 11:47 am  
IKEA FANatic

Gallery: 20
Doorstyle: Hallarum
We also would really want an external vent, but since it's a condo we don't have that option. There is a positive airflow vent connected to a stack for all of the units on our side of the building (3, we're top floor) to the left of the range, though... Hardly the kind of power our hood has, but unless we figure something else out, our 400cfm hood is recirc/decorative only.

Share |
animes2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 06, 10:19 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 19,754
Gallery: 9

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

i am getting rid of my microhood..

mainly because it doesnt' do a good job with popcorn.

i'm not putting in any hood at all. i've never had a hood that vented to the outside and in several of my homes i had no hood at all. once in a blue moon it caused me to have to run around throwing open windows to desmoke the house, but for the most part, it was no problem at all.

Share |
Toxigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 06, 10:52 am  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
I don't have an externally vented hood, either. Maybe later on I will, if I get a more powerful range, but frankly after reading the real-life experiences of those who have even high-performace hoods, I don't see that their experience is better than the setup I have now.

I have a window next to the range, and I bought an under $30 twin window fan with an exhaust feature. I put the fan in the window, open a window on the other side of the house and that little fan pulls the smoke out like a champ. It does get a bit greasy, but everything dissasembles for cleaning and it's all plastic so it's really simple to clean. I think it works better and cleans easier than those $2K hoods, frankly! If you don't have a window close to the range it might not work quite as well, but I have to say for $30 I am highly impressed. For people in condos or apartments, it would certainly do the trick.

Yesterday I used it with my gigantic new George Foreman grill, and there was NO smoke, grease or steam anywhere in the house at all.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...074181-0776869

Share |
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 06, 11:21 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 19,754
Gallery: 9

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

oh! i'll have to get one of those..

i have a window right next to my range. i assume you install it backwards so it's suckiing the air out instead of blowing air in?

Share |
Toxigal is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
island