No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Mar 19th, 10, 2:19 pm   #1
Peggie74
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,847
Gallery: 0
AKURUM Custom drawer/door fronts - high gloss laminate

Hi there,

Does anyone know of a cabinet manufacturer that produces high-gloss laminate or thermofoil doors (in a rainbow of colours), which would be compatible with IKEA AKURUM cabinet and drawer bodies?

I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada .
I want something modern, and/or to combine a white/woodgrain with some solid colour, but the limited IKEA solid colour choices offered wouldn't work in my home.

I could literally pay about 3 times as much and buy cabinets from a local place that specializes in European Imports.

Or, beg a Canadian company to ship me their "Lamineer" doors in a colour that for some reason they only market in Asia, but then still have to drill/modify the doors/drawer fronts myself.

Thanks!

Share |

Peggie74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 19th, 10, 4:20 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 13,049
My IKEA: USA-Orlando
Doorstyle: Adel MB, Applad White
Re: AKURUM Custom drawer/door fronts - high gloss laminate

Have you considered buying Harlig doors/drawfronts and then applying sheet laminate yourself? Formica makes laminate sheets in 46 solid colors, all of which can be ordered in a "Polished" (high gloss) finish.

I have never done applied sheet laminate myself, but I have seen it done and it doesn't look like it would be too challenging for a confident DIY 'er. It looks like you just glue it on then trim it with a special little router (although it may be harder than it looks).

Share |
MCODave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 10, 5:07 pm  
ted
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 108,005
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!

Or just take the doors
to an auto paint shop
and have them sprayed
and clear coated.

Share |
ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 10, 5:37 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 121,172
Gallery: 8
My IKEA: USA-Tampa:Ybor City
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown-Black +Abstrakt & Rubrik White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 6

I've been blogged!

Yeah. What @ted said...

Share |
Old Mar 20th, 10, 12:35 am  
IKEA FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltmaster View Post
Yeah. What @ted said...
Unfortunately I'm not a confident DIY 'er.

I also estimate that the cost of ordering pieces of sheet laminate, the materials, time and effort required to undertake such a project for the enromous size of my kitchen would cost me more than to order same from a factory.

No guarantee that my home-methods would stay stuck, either.

Share |
Old Mar 20th, 10, 2:18 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 121,172
Gallery: 8
My IKEA: USA-Tampa:Ybor City
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown-Black +Abstrakt & Rubrik White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 6

I've been blogged!

Please re-read @ted's suggestion. There's no DIY involved, other than a trip to the local auto body shop.

Share |
Old Mar 20th, 10, 6:46 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 181,285
Doorstyle: Ramsjo BB

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

The auto body shop idea is excellent. As for laminate - it's shockingly inexpensive and my husband and I had no trouble creating a custom L-shaped countertop with an angled wood edge on our first try. (Okay - really, it was all him,...but I designed it!) The downside to using laminate for the doors is the dark line along the edges. For a sleek, seamless look, auto paint would be better.

Share |
personalshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 10, 10:25 am  
ted
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 108,005
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!

And with paint you can have absolutely any colour,
including all those wonderful (to me) metal flake and
pearlescent finishes. There is really no limit.

Share |
ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 10, 2:42 pm  
IKEA FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCODave View Post
Have you considered buying Harlig doors/drawfronts and then applying sheet laminate yourself? Formica makes laminate sheets in 46 solid colors, all of which can be ordered in a "Polished" (high gloss) finish.
Formica makes high gloss sheet laminate in the colour I'm looking for, but they don't keep it in stock - I've already inquired.
They'd have to manufacture it specially which would price it out of my range.

For the paint suggestions:

I'm a commercial painter's daughter.
I'm familiar with all of the paint coatings out there, and how even a "professionally applied" spray coating can turn out horribly bad, sun fade, chip, crack, wash off, off-gas toxic fumes for months, you name it.
Which is why I DO NOT want a painted finish.

There are plenty of people suggesting taking their IKEA non-wood laminate, MDF or thermofoil doors to an auto shop or finishing shop to get sprayed - but precious few that have actually done it or achieved the look I'm going for.

If I can get a high gloss laminate, lacquer-finish, or acrylic door straight from the factory, all the better.
There's just no colour selection locally in Winnipeg for anything remotely ressembling a high-gloss finished european cabinet door.

Which takes me back to my original question:

Has anyone a source for high-gloss laminate/acrylic/lacquered doors in Canada , that they've fitted to IKEA cabinet/drawer bodies?

Share |
Old Jun 13th, 10, 7:54 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,269
Gallery: 5

Have you had any luck with this? I am thinking of trying to match my current kitchen cabinets, which are 1970's laminate in a yellow-gold shade with large bright blue knobs. I want to move my current peninsula to another spot in my kitchen, and make a new run of drawers that match the look of the old cabinets (which I'm convinced will be classic one day, and I'll kick myself if I make them look 2010!)

But I can't find the right shade of laminate on the Wilsonart or Formica websites. I guess harvest gold is just too out of fashion. I'm thinking maybe an alternative might be plain paintable wood slab fronts for the drawers, and get them painted to match. The current cabinets have a matte finish, so I don't need the high-gloss look.

Also, can anyone tell me, is it easier to attach custom drawer fronts than it is to attach custom doors with the hinges?

Share |
summerkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment