LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Mar 25th, 10, 4:14 pm   #1
Cuckoomamma
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 338
Gallery: 0
Average cost for 10x12 kitchen

Dh and I are planning to completely move our bathroom and expand our kitchen. We're toying with the idea of doing it this year vs. waiting until next year. What would be a really rough estimate for cabinets for a kitchen that is 10x12? Dh says we can just use plywood for a countertop until we have the money next year for the granite.

Thanks!

Share |

Cuckoomamma is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 25th, 10, 5:52 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 18,924
Gallery: 33
My IKEA: USA-Orlando
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown-Black, Applad White
I've been blogged!
Re: Average cost for 10x12 kitchen

Honestly thats a very vague question and I don't think you will get much usable feedback from any answers you may get. That said, my kitchen is roughly 15x12 with 61 sq ft of counter space (its a lot) and my cabinets and appliances (fridge, oven, cooktop and DW ) cost under 5000 during a 20%off sale.

Your best bet is to download the planner and plan out a kitchen of your own. There are lots of people on here that can help you with that if you need it. You can use the prices the planner gives as an estimate, but it is usually off. In my case, the planner was estimating more than I actually paid, but YMMV .

Share |
Espo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 10, 6:00 pm  
Formerly cecfconsult

iKarma: 88,242
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-New Haven
Doorstyle: ALL- I'm a designer.

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Smile Re: Average cost for 10x12 kitchen

Hi and welcome to IKEAfans!

You'll need to make a lot more of a plan before knowing the cost- if you look at the kitchen catalog, the same layout of a 10x10 kitchen can range from $799 (for Harlig white doors) to $2899 for Askome Ash. That's not the only variable, as drawers are more expensive than doors and shelves, glass is more expensive than plain doors, and on and on.

If you can download the kitchen planner:

IKEA | Download planner

you'll be able to design your own kitchen, with whatever doors/drawers/etc that you want, and look at the price right there. It's a great tool, especially for pricing.

You may also find that IKEA counters are a better (and maybe even cheaper) temporary solution than plywood counters!

What you'll totally find here is lots and lots of help and great advice, once you input some basic info about your kitchen and how you want it to look and work!

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Share |
I-PIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 10, 7:00 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 338

Thanks so much for your replies. I downloaded the planner and have some of the cabinets and appliances layed out. I just am really having a tough time using the planner. I'll go read what the tips are for using it. I'm just so anxious to do the kitchen THIS year :-)

Share |
Cuckoomamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 10, 7:05 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 370

The range is HUGE for a 10x12 kitchen. The cabinets are typically the most expensive item - followed by the countertop - then appliances or flooring and then the 100 other little things.

I just met with a kitchen planner at Lowes and in 1 hour they had a nice plan for a 10 by 15 kitchen for me of all prebuilt kraftmade cabinets with an island for $15k. I used ikea cabinets in a den and they worked pretty well and i did the installation myself.

My 2 cents is get someone to help youwith the layout like at lowes or someplace they do it for free and sometimes they are pretty good. Then have ikea and others quote on the size and number and features for the cabinets.. It will take some time but it wont cost you anything and you will get pretty much waht you want at the price you want to pay.

Your idea about plywood and save up for the countertop sounds great to me! You can do a similiar thing with a cheap vinyl floor that will look ok for a few years then when you have the $ and decided what you want you can upgrade..same with appliances..buy used now and then replace. THere is a good website that has lots of tips on remodeling for less www.saveonmyremodel.com. Also www.remodelormove.com has a kitchen remodel cost calculator - but it sounds like you are into the details so you will ahve to do the homework to get your estimate or have a contractor/kitchen designer give you a quote.

Good luck!

Share |
remodelingdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment