iKarma: 13,613
Gallery: 54
My IKEA: USA-Baltimore
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Re: Info on Ramsjo door in white?

thank you for posting these, the wide stiles aren't as bad as I initially thought.Your kitchen is going to be gorgeous!

Your pictures show the center panel as being whiter than the stiles, but not on the flash picture. Is this an artifact of the lighting, does it come off as two-tone in real life?

thank you!

Share |
scrappy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 10, 2:46 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 8,115
Gallery: 12
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Ramsjo white

in case people still have not seen enough of the new ramsjo in 'white', i picked up a couple 'as is' pieces - 1 each of ramsjo white and adel white - when i was at the store a couple weeks ago, to get a feel for it in my house...

here are the pics...the first three were in-store. then at home, i photographed it without flash next to white paper, a white fridge, our gutted kitchen studs (florescent light) and natural front porch light...

it is definitely pinker than the other white options. in some light that doesnt seem to be noticeable. it is apparent next to white appliances. but i really like the details on it.

we did notice that the rails and stiles seem to vary in color. markedly from door to door. the guy helping us said that it was bc its natural wood, but i think its more than that. there were some pieces in the as is pile that i would have returned bc the stiles were so clearly different in color than the rails...on other pieces they looked fine...

and sorry, coffee is spilled on both doors - the idea was to see how easy they were to clean (then i never got around to cleaning them....)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5768.JPG (1.13 MB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5769.JPG (1.14 MB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5770.JPG (1.14 MB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6067.JPG (1.27 MB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6066.JPG (1.22 MB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6071.JPG (1.12 MB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6074.JPG (1.29 MB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6064.JPG (1.39 MB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6062.JPG (1.23 MB, 199 views)

Share |
sahric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 10, 5:48 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 2,807
Gallery: 0

Oh, thank you! Thank you! I've really been wanting to see more of Ramsjo. (Our nearest Ikea is over 4 hours away.) The "pinkiness" reminds me of Askerum... it would be interesting to see Ramsjo and Askerum together. Did you feel like the pinkness was always apparent, or just when the door was contrasted against white? How did the finish feel? Similar to the other wood doors or different? I've hesitated over choosing Adel white or Lindingo because of the "plasticky" finish.

Thanks again for posting!
Stacie

Share |
meggswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 10, 7:28 pm  

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!

Isn't it beech? I think that's where the pink comes from--people often read it as pinkish.

How easy do you think it would be to paint over this surface? Ikea doesn't have any paint ready doors, but this might be a close second....

Share |
NBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 10, 7:35 pm  
IKEA FAN

hi stacie,

im pretty sure that i compared the ramsjo to the ash cabinet door at my ikea (i dont think they sell it anymore, so i dont know why it would still be on display, but hey) and thinking that the ramsjo is much much whiter, and painted, in comparison. not woody in color. the comparion to the adel white of course goes the other way...

we do not find the pinkness to always be apparent. but ramsjo is definitely different than the other whites. stat matches my white appliances better, adel is creamier than my white appliances, and for lack of a better way to describe it, ramsjo is a bit pink. (although next to the white paper, it did not look pink, and in the kitchen, against the studs, it did not look pink either). my husband suggests it might look a bit pale grayish, especially in a darker room...

and it feels like a painted wood. it isnt super smooth like the adel sample i brought home. but its not a raw rough wood thing either. im not sure how the feel is in comparison to the other wood doors actually,. i didnt do that test. but i dont think any of the others are painted, so it would be hard to compare....i imagine it might be rougher than a stained door.

i just wiped off the ol dried coffee stains and it wipes clean very very easy. i guess i should let some tomato sauce dry up on it....

Share |
Old Aug 25th, 10, 7:41 pm  
Administrator

iKarma: 220,471
Gallery: 1457
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 3

Thanks for posting all those fabulous pictures, sahric!

Scrappy25 - GREAT to see you again! Are you back at it?

Somehow I missed posting this link here? I must be slowly losing my mind... anyway, here's a short video featuring RAMSJO in white.

YouTube - IKEA RAMSJO White Doorstyle - New for 2011

Susan

Share |
Old Aug 25th, 10, 7:45 pm  
IKEA FAN

Oh thank you! That is super helpful! We've done three Ikea kitchens, (two of our own in two different homes Adel Birch and Liljestad - and one for a friend - Tidaholm oak), and each of the doors felt different. Adel Birch was so smooth, (and so beautiful in our kitchen - it glowed), Liljestad was a bit rougher, you could definitely feel the wood texture, and Tidaholm felt more like a laminate to me, almost slick. We've recently bought our third home and I can hardly wait to remodel the kitchen! (I know, I'm a glutton for punishment... I just love remodeling kitchens.) It will probably be a year before we can tackle the project, (finances), but I am knee deep in research again. I was so happy that Ikea came out with a white painted door! I wish they had used mullions on the glass uppers though. It sounds like Lindigo white wouldn't be a close enough match... maybe we can paint Liljestad to match Ramsjo... Anyhow, I've been scouring the web for more Ramsjo pictures and I was so happy you posted your, (in addition to all the others here at Ikea Fans). Let me know how the tomato spill/wipe up goes.

Stacie

Share |
Old Aug 25th, 10, 8:12 pm  
Administrator

iKarma: 220,471
Gallery: 1457
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 3

OMG , it's like a reunion! First we saw LilithNS (member #3) a couple of weeks ago, and now both Scrappy and meggswife are back around. Welcome back all!

Susan

Share |
Old Aug 25th, 10, 8:19 pm  
IKEA FAN

Ah, thank you Susan! It's funny, I was around before Ikea Fans, (back on GW), and then saw Ikea Fans start, and now... wow! has it grown!! It's fun to see familiar faces around here and I am so excited to be doing our fourth Ikea kitchen! I love Ikea!

Stacie

Share |
Old Aug 25th, 10, 8:32 pm  
IKEA FAN

nbeth, my husband thinks that it would be pretty straightforward to paint these ramsjo doors, either sanding them a bit first or possibly just wiping them down with a good degreaser? but we have never painted cabinet doors before - so what do we know. the finish that is on there is quite hard - harder than any wood ive ever painted ...the video susan just posted indicated that it was actually a stained finish. so maybe thats more durable than a paint?

Share |

Comment

Tags
ramsjo