(0 notes)
Soft-close Blumotion drawer retrofit
Image 6
(0 notes)
Soft-close Blumotion drawer retrofit
Image 7
(0 notes)
Soft-close Blumotion drawer retrofit by chylld
Click the plus button to add a note to any image on this page. Then, discuss the highlighted area in the thread below
NEW! Add YOUR notes to chylld's image!
Click the "+" button to add a note.
Loading tags ...
Add Note to Image
Add Note
Posted By chylld   |   Visit chylld's Gallery   |   Original image in the Kitchen Planning Gallery

Old Jul 12th, 10, 7:34 pm   #1
chylld
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,744
Gallery: 7
My IKEA: Australia-Sydney:Homebush Bay Drive
Successfully retrofit RATIONELL Blumotion drawer dampers

Just registered to report on my project which I completed yesterday I hope this proves helpful for someone looking to make a nice improvement to their kitchen.

I wanted soft-close drawers for my kitchen without changing the appearance. I tried some cheap piston dampers, however they only work well for doors and not drawers. What I needed was a long-throw spring + damper combination, like the Blumotion system.

To retrofit Blumotion to a standard gravity-closed drawer, you need to have around 12mm clearance on one side of the drawer as well as the back. Most standard drawer rail systems require this clearance anyway.

First, DON'T be tempted to buy the RATIONELL drawer damper kit - the existing gravity-fed closing force is nowhere near enough to overcome the damper and your drawers will not close.

What you actually need is an entire drawer - go for the smallest one which is the RATIONELL 35cm drawer+damper kit. You will still have a functional sliding drawer after you take out the damper+spring, so it is pretty good value for money.

Once you open the kit, all you need to do is extract the spring+latch mechanism (just using a small flathead screwdriver) and the damper itself (using a hacksaw) and then install these onto the cabinet wall. Install a small M2.5 bolt into the drawer door in a position that catches on the latch and you're done! Take the time to measure the position accurately and it will work first time.

I bought 4 drawers which gave me 8 spring+damper mechanisms, so my 7 existing kitchen drawers are all now self-soft-closing Don't know what I'll do with the spare yet. Will upload some pics tonight

Share |

Last edited by chylld; Jul 13th, 10 at 7:08 pm..
chylld is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jul 13th, 10, 5:24 pm  
IKEA FAN

Re: Successfully retrofit RATIONELL Blumotion drawer dampers

I've written up an instructable with full steps and photos here:
Retrofit soft-close to almost any drawer (Blumotion)

And a video of it in action
YouTube - Blumotion soft-close drawer retrofit

Share |
Old Jul 13th, 10, 6:33 pm  
Administrator

iKarma: 220,591
Gallery: 1457
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 3

AWESOME! You should totally enter this in the 'What's Your Story?' Contest! Competition begins on Friday.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Susan

Share |
Old Jul 13th, 10, 7:09 pm  
IKEA FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
AWESOME! You should totally enter this in the 'What's Your Story?' Contest! Competition begins on Friday.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Susan
Thanks for the kind words Susan! I'd be happy to enter the competition, will submit my entry tonight.

Share |
Old Jul 14th, 10, 10:26 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 12,074
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Akurum

maybe i am missing something? i have the rationell drawer dampners on all my akurum base cabinets and they have no problem soft-closing the drawers.

Share |
rawlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 10, 4:57 pm  
IKEA FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
maybe i am missing something? i have the rationell drawer dampners on all my akurum base cabinets and they have no problem soft-closing the drawers.
if your existing drawers were closed by a spring, then simply adding the rationell drawer dampers would probably do the trick. however most drawers are closed using gravity (no springs), and in these cases just adding dampers will not work.

Share |
Old Aug 28th, 10, 3:27 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 121
Gallery: 0

OK, I am still confused.
I just installed my first rationell drawer sans damper. I thought they all had the dampers. I would like dampers.
So, can anyone tell me if the door damper kit (you would hope it would work as they are selling it seperately) will prove compatible?
Please help.
Thanks,
colin

Share |
colwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 10, 7:56 pm  
IKEA FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by colwelsh View Post
OK, I am still confused.
I just installed my first rationell drawer sans damper. I thought they all had the dampers. I would like dampers.
So, can anyone tell me if the door damper kit (you would hope it would work as they are selling it seperately) will prove compatible?
Please help.
Thanks,
colin
Hi Colin,

If your Rationell drawer pulls itself closed in the last inch or two, then yes all you need is the damper. However you need to check whether the damper is compatible with your drawer, since there are 2 sizes of Rationell drawer slider and I think it only fits on the larger one (the one that appears in my guide is the smaller one.) Your best bet is to ask one of the IKEA staff to see if the add-on damper is compatible with your drawer.

Best of luck!
Jonathan.

Share |
Old Aug 29th, 10, 3:15 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 194,540
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: Cyprus-Verginas
I've been blogged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post
First, DON'T be tempted to buy the RATIONELL drawer damper kit - the existing gravity-fed closing force is nowhere near enough to overcome the damper and your drawers will not close
I must admit to being confused by this. Are you saying that IKEA supplies different Rationell drawers for the Australian market?

I have been installing kitchens for IKEA for 3 years using these drawers along with the Rationell soft closers and have never known one not to close.

I cannot see where the advantage is in dismantling drawers and screwing bits onto carcases when you can just clip the IKEA supplied closers onto the back of the runner. What am I missing?

Share |
bigredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 10, 3:46 am  
IKEA FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredbird View Post
I must admit to being confused by this. Are you saying that IKEA supplies different Rationell drawers for the Australian market?

I have been installing kitchens for IKEA for 3 years using these drawers along with the Rationell soft closers and have never known one not to close.

I cannot see where the advantage is in dismantling drawers and screwing bits onto carcases when you can just clip the IKEA supplied closers onto the back of the runner. What am I missing?
It is important to realise that not everyone has IKEA drawers to start with. True, the standard IKEA Rationell drawers auto-close, but most (i.e. non-IKEA) drawers only use gravity to auto-close in the last inch or two, if at all. For example, these are commonly the only types of drawer rails available at home hardware stores.

As you have only been installing IKEA kitchens, the guide is of limited use to you. However, for the other 99.99% of people in the world who do not have IKEA-only experience, the guide shows a way to use an IKEA product to add a nice feature to their existing kitchens.

Share |

Comment