LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Aug 4th, 10, 2:13 pm   #1
jeniloohoo
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 360
Gallery: 0
Bad experience with Ikea kitchen cabinet doors

We installed Ikea kitchen cabinets in Land white (a laminate over particle board) 13 years ago. The boxes have held up but the doors have not. The white finish has peeled and worn off. They are stained and just look terrible!!!!

We are looking at a remodel, and I cannot believe I am even contemplating Ikea again. But I notice they now have a 25 year warranty. So maybe they have improved in quality since our remodel? We are needing to bump out the kitchen, which is going to zap our budget, so just replacing the doors would save big bucks. I am also interested in doing this renovation green, so keeping the Ikea boxes would be meet that aspect of the renovation.

I have noticed that we could go with doors from Scherr and we might go ahead and do this instead. My confidence in Ikea a second time around is not great.

Any thoughts?

Share |

jeniloohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Aug 4th, 10, 2:35 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 17,151
Gallery: 9
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Paramus
Doorstyle: Applad Black
I've been blogged!
Re: Bad experience with Ikea kitchen cabinet doors

Jeniloohoo - what was the warranty length when you originally purchased your kitchen? If you are still within warranty and have your receipt, sounds like you might be able to get a credit towards new doors.

Share |
macbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 10, 12:45 am  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,751
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

Chuck will be able to tell you how different the quality was 13 yrs ago since he's been installing for 23. But, he's out of town right now. I do know that the warranty was less at that time, it only went to 25 yrs in the last couple years.
That said, Scherr's is amazing quality and well priced (though I find their finishing prices a bit expensive) and so many options. Mitch is the sales guy there now and he's good with IKEA specs. A joy to work with. Might be worth getting a quote from him, just to know. Remember that you need to tell him you want hinge holes bored in the doors.

There are a lot of great quality doors at ikea, and some not so wonderful. Which kind are you drawn to? That's a good starting point. Oh, and welcome to the site

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 10, 10:56 am  

iKarma: 40,050
Gallery: 34
My IKEA: USA-West Sacramento
Doorstyle: Adel Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!

You will also need to double-check and be sure that the current doors available from IKEA are the same size as your existing doors. I remember reading about a switchover in the cabinet boxes ... but my memory on it is vague and I don't remember around what time that occurred.

I'm pretty sure the old warranty was for 10 years on kitchen cabinets.

Doreen

Share |

IKEAFANS Needs Your Help - Right NOW
dafogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 10, 12:50 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 360

Not only did the white covering peel and chip but it also turned yellow, like plastic does. As much as I'd like to go white again, I am afraid pets and dogs make it a bad choice. (Our kitchen remodel was pre-kids) If I have time over the weekend I'll upload shots to show you all. I would not consider white cabinets from Ikea again.

Macbride, I think the warranty was 10 years. This problem began after about 4-5 years and honestly we did not even think about the warranty. (3 toddlers at the time and permanently exhausted!). I wish we'd thought of it.

Kayla, I appreciate your giving specific names, and thank you for the welcome. Are there specific doors you would suggest in a maple or birch shaker style? We live in a traditional Greek Revival Farmhouse. (140 years old)

We are considering simple shaker doors in maple for our farmhouse but I also am also really drawn to a creamy french style finish which would hide fingerprints and general dirt. I am thinking of pairing cream cabinets with a robin egg blue wall/accents and Ubatuba granite. We have maple floors.

Dafogle/Doreen- Thank you for that suggestion. I hadn't really considered that the sizes may have changed (alignment, etc). I guess we'll have to make sure we check with Ikea about that.

I do want to say I am fairly happy with the cabinets themselves. They have held up fine and have been easy to clean and have not yellowed like the door fronts.

Thanks again! This is a great site. I used to live in Princeton NJ and spent lots of time at the NJ store (which was the first one, I think).

Share |

Last edited by jeniloohoo; Aug 5th, 10 at 12:54 pm..
jeniloohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 10, 6:33 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 29,799
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

I downloaded the Scherr's catalog, pdf, from their website when I was looking at preliminary kitchen options. They had like 15 door styles in each wood material option, plus finishes (which I didn't really look into). I asked a question about a particular style and received an email back in a day or so - very helpful.
IKEA does have the new Ramsjo door coming out which I believe is a painted wood door, correct me if I'm wrong, and would potentially hold up better than a laminated door. Kind of contemporary mission style.
Posted via Mobile Device

Share |
wruwtrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 10, 10:35 pm  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,751
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

I would skip the white doors in IKEA stock with pets and little kids. I know others disagree with me, but it's my opinion.

Are you asking simple door from Scherr's? I think the 400 with a drawer of 540 is a good match (I might be off on those numbers though. I'm 2 glasses of wine in. )

I do believe the first store was in PA and no longer there, but that might have just been the first headquarters store, which is now in Conshohocken ... a store I'm getting to know well since Chuck is greeted like a rockstar whenever we walk in. lol

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment