Old Sep 1st, 10, 10:54 am   #1
leer34
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 5,580
Gallery: 5
My IKEA: USA-Charlotte
Doorstyle: Adel White
1st draft of kitchen plan. Small L shaped kitchen, with a few questions

Not sure if I'm doing this right. I emailed myself a link to my kitchen plan, and pasted it below.

http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/US/UI...SharedDesign=1

My kitchen is really L shaped, with entrances next to the dishwasher, and next to the fridge, but I left it rectangle shaped becuase it's easier to view. it's a small townhouse and my goal is to redo the kitchen and sell. I'm going to use premium laminate for the counters and peel and stick tile for the floor, probably in a neutral grey color. most appliances are staying in their same location, other than the dishwasher, which is now next to the stove leaving my only storage below the sink. this plan incorporates an 18" dishwasher where now I have a 24".

about my plan:

minor details -
on the blind corner cabinet, it has a birch cover panel but I cant see how to change it to white. item# 20136074. glitch?

I cant seem to rotate the fridge, so it appears sideways.

I cant get the lagan range to show up (but I've seen this issue elsewhere)

a few of the cabinets I cant get to seem to snap up to the ceiling.

Questions -

I'm not sure about cover panels and fillers. Are they only necessary when using doors other than white or birch? or even on a white cabinet, would you see screws, therefore needing cover panels too? If this is the case, then I need one on the left side of the upper corner cabinet.

I'm not sure what to do above the fridge area. -
I have filler between the fridge top cabinet and the wall cabinet. it shows up as resizeable. how does that work? I think I can use a 1" filler, and a 36" cabinet, but the planner wont let me do it. or should I go with no filler, the 36" cabinet and leave room to scribe a piece against the wall? does Ikea really sell various filler pieces that are 88" tall?

or I can use a wider filler and a 30" cabinet. but then I have like 6" to play with. what do I do with this space?

I dont have room for any fillers on the side with the sink base. is this a problem? my friend said I need at least 3/4" beside the dishwasher and on the other side of the sink base to scribe. makes sense, but I dont have room. what to do? it sorts of looks like there is a gap when I zoom in on the planner, does it plan for that?

I know that's a lot of questions, so thank you in advance for your expertise!

Robin

Share |

Last edited by leer34; Sep 1st, 10 at 3:04 pm..
leer34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Sep 1st, 10, 3:42 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 309,369
Gallery: 99
My IKEA: USA-Pittsburgh
Doorstyle: Fagerland, painted
I've been blogged!
Re: 1st draft of kitchen plan. Small L shaped kitchen, with a few questions

Hi Leer and welcome to IKEAFans!

I've attached a picture of the uncovered 1/2" gap between my stacked cabinets and the wall. Hoping to give you an idea of why you'd want cover panels to finish your kitchen, even one with doors that harmonize well with the boxes.

I'm severely new-planner-challenged, (not unlike IKEA) so I converted your kitchen to the old planner. You can still download it from the Canadian site, however, the prices are different than in the US. IKEA | IKEA Planner Tools download page

Tweaked a few things in this version:
  • 24" sink cabinet. For some reason you had a 30" telescoped around your 18" dishwasher. I'd love to recommend the 24" domsjo sink, but it needs support on the dishwasher side. Here's a bigger double-bowl than the IKEA sink, and it's undermounted: Ticor TR1200 Tight Radius Corners Undermount 16-Gauge Stainless Sink
  • What I would do between the dishwasher and the wall to act as both filler and cleat for your countertop is use a 1/2" cover panel attached to the wall which would sit flush with the edge of the dishwasher + sit at the right height to support the counter. Chuck, Kayla, would this work?
  • Ran cabinets straight along the stove wall - no corner cabinet. Without neighbors on both sides, that cabinet looks clunky and just plain wrong, especially hard up against your window. Also used the 24" cabinets with 2 doors. One big door is more likely to bonk you in the head.
  • Did not use cover panels on the uppers on each side of the microwave because there was no room. Here's a suggestion made to kimann79 for that rather small gap:
    • Quote:
      Originally Posted by kimann79 View Post
      ...the manager at Ikea had me meet with one of their more experienced kitchen experts and she (advised if we weren't going to) buy the cover panel (budget constraints) but she suggested we run 1/4 round on the back of the cabinets to hide the gap between them and the wall.
  • Used the 36" fridge cabinet (if I'm correct in understanding that your fridge is 33.5" wide.) That ginormous cabinet needs the big cover panel for support. If I'm not mistaken, that cabinet is just too massive to build out with filler, even with the cover panel.
  • Added the cabinets on the opposite wall. You have just enough aisle space there, and that would give you more counter and more storage. Those cabinets do have cover panels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gap 2.jpg (61.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Robin.jpg (55.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Robina.jpg (46.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Robinc.jpg (55.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Robind.jpg (16.0 KB, 32 views)
Attached Files
File Type: fpf Robin.fpf (37.5 KB, 3 views)

Share |

Last edited by tbb123; Sep 1st, 10 at 4:34 pm..
tbb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 10, 7:00 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 5,580
Gallery: 5
My IKEA: USA-Charlotte
Doorstyle: Adel White

I dont understand what you mean about the sink base. that portion of the wall is 48", so I used the 30" sink base and a 18" dishwasher.

I have the old planner too, but never could import the plans into the new planner, so I just redid with the new one!

Interesting idea about the double doors instead of the one door! I'll have to think abotu that. I was worried about having so many doors in such a small space. will have to go home and study it. I sort of like it.

thanks for the ideas!

Share |
leer34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 10, 11:44 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 309,369
Gallery: 99
My IKEA: USA-Pittsburgh
Doorstyle: Fagerland, painted
I've been blogged!

Now I see what the new planner is showing - the yellow lines that appear when you click on that cabinet show the coverage by the extended drainboard. Very confusing.

The 24" cabinet will give you the room you need for filler - otherwise it's too tight. You can fit a pretty roomy sink in a 24" cabinet, especially for such a cozy kitchen.

Share |
tbb123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment