No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jan 30th, 07, 11:06 pm   #1
chompersmama
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
Question HELP

I love this white kitchen!! I want my kitchen to look like this

...but the previous owner installed an UGLY IKEA kitchen. OK, maybe it's not ugly to someone else, but it does not suit my home at all. I dont even know what it's called, but its modern and light pine colored. My house is over 100 years old and is screaming for a traditional white kitchen. My question is, can I buy new doors only from IKEA for my cabinets. I have a huge amount of cupboards including 2 pantries. My other question is, can I paint my IKEA cabinets,? or will the knotty pine come through, also what about the edges of the cabinets, they are pine too...its a nightmare.

thanks for any and all help.
R. in ontario canada
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kitchen2.jpg (21.5 KB, 686 views)

Share |

Last edited by chompersmama; Jan 30th, 07 at 11:49 pm.. Reason: added picture
chompersmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jan 30th, 07, 11:43 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 600
Is the kitchen recently remodeled? Does it look like a 'normal' kitchen, or like re-arrangable 'furniture'? I'm guessing it looks 'normal' (like, built in).

I would imagine that you could easily (well, easier then a complete redo) change out the door style to something that suits your home better. Maybe Adel? It's a 'Nantucket' type door. It comes in birch (which is what I assume you have now), white (my fav) and medium brown. If you went w / the white or brown door style you would put end panels on your exposed edges and that would cover the current birch 'outer walls' of the cabinets. You would still have the birch interiors, but that (or white) is how they would have been even if you had gone with the non-birch doors to begin with (the actual cabinet boxes only come in white and birch). -- So, to completely redo the kitchen using the existing boxes you would need the doors and also trim and end panels if you went w/a non-birch door.

If you have a local store, you can take in one of your doors to verify that you have an Akurum kitchen (basically their built in design...what *most* of their kitchen products are) and go from there.

Share |
imjustagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 07, 11:46 pm  
IKEA FAN

Question I HATE MY IKEA KITCHEN

Can someone please give me some ideas on how to change this kitchen to a more traditional look without spending a fortune. I like the quality of the cabinets and functionality, but the style is horrible for my house. My house is over 100 yrs old, I have big huge baseboards, stain glass windows, pine floors and the previous owners put in this hideous kitchen and took out all the old light fixtures and put in these terrible modern ones as well. The rest of the house is traditional. If I had my way I would have an all white kitchen with those lovely pewter pulls on the drawers and pewter knobs...My questions are:
1. Can I buy new white IKEA doors for my cupboards? I cant seem to locate anything on their website for doors only(I am in ontario canada )
2. Can these cupboards be painted? The main problem being that the edges are this wood colour also
3. What knobs/handles would give my cupboards a more traditional feel

TIA for any advice you can give!
Renee
p.s. I hope I can figure out how to load some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kitchen2.jpg (21.5 KB, 190 views)

Share |
Old Jan 30th, 07, 11:51 pm  
IKEA FAN

more questions

thanks so much for your speedy reply. I have added a picture of the kitchen. Do you know where I can find a list of door prices? I looked on the IKEA website, but could not find a link for doors on their own. I am in ontario , canada .
thanks,
R.

Share |
Old Jan 31st, 07, 12:14 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 600
I think for individual door prices you'd probably have to ask at IKEA directly. If you take a measurement of your door sizes they can just go down the list for you. The price sheets include the price of the 'box' (cabinet) and you don't need that.

K. Just looked at your pics and I hate your kitchen too.... LOL . I think that's a discontinued door style, but used the Akurum system so the door should be interchangable w / the other door styles. It's kind of an odd configuration too though....everything about it seems a bit off for a 100 year old house. Are you trying to give the kitchen a redo on a budget w/little mess? You could just change out the doors and actually, the end panels I talked about before, you probably actually DO have end panels (that are that pine look) and you would just take those off and replace them w/ the material that matches the new door style. If you're looking to completely change everything you could reuse those boxes w/ a new design and door style that suits the home/your taste better.

Share |

Last edited by imjustagirl; Jan 31st, 07 at 12:19 am..
imjustagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 07, 12:26 am  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,801
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Hi, I'm wondering if you can post a picture of a close up of your door... i can't tell what kind it is and i'm super curious

That said, here's a link to door/drawer front prices. it's last year's catalog, so some prices have changed (stat went down) and some of the doors are discontinued. but it's a start.

you can definitely buy white doors for your cupboards.
Here's a link to most of the available doors. same disclaimer as above
http://www.ikeafans.com/door_styles.htm

Just for kicks here's the list of materials used
http://www.ikeafans.com/materials_reference_chart.htm

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 07, 12:32 am  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,801
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!
ok, i think most would agree that the cup pull (snacka) is one of the more traditional looks. and it's a fraction of the cost of most you will find. i also really like the gravyr IKEA | home | Work area | Work area series | EFFEKTIV workspace series | GRAVYR Handle

i've got the snacka on my Stat White in my kitchen (i mixed it with the Gila short pull which is a bit modern, but works in my home). I used the Gravyr on my Lindingo doors in my upstairs landing and I get a lot of compliments on it (looks so much better irl )

some of the doors can be painted, but it's not for the faint of heart. the materials list might help you with that

Good luck and welcome!
oh yeah, and happy TKO

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 07, 8:40 am  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,740
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!
Hi and welcome! I'm sorry you don't like your kitchen. One of the wonderful things about IKEA is that the doors and other parts are easily interchangable. You don't even have to make any modifications to change out doors, just buy the ones you want and pop in the hinges, and snap the doors on. Easy peasy!

I agree that Lidingo and Snacka handles would be the perfect choice for you. You'll also want to change out the large panel next to the fridge, so measure that because there are a couple of different sizes. You'll also want to get either cover panels or doors to cover the exposed sides of your cabinets to match your new door style. You could get glass doors for the uppers in white, too. And change out the toekick, which should just pop right off because it's clipped to the legs. You can also get some light rail (also called decor trim) to run along the bottom of the wall cabinets to conceal the lighting fixtures if you have any there or plan to use any.

Are you planning on keeping the countertop?

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 07, 8:44 am  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,740
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!
Moderator note: I combined the two threads on this topic into this thread.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 07, 4:52 pm  
IKEA FAN

Hi. To be very honest with you. Your kitchen cabinet doors are not the problem. The problem is your checkerboard black/white tiles.

You must look no further than the backslash right under your wall cabinets. There are white/black tiles 2/3 way up against red painted walls. Good grief what were they thinking. Sorry if it sounds bad. I'm just being honest. I will re-tile the whole kitchen with a stone look. Just a personal opinion.

Having that said, may I have your all oak countertop and the pieces with glasses inset if you plan on giving it away?

Share |
cinamax is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
akurum , kitchenaid , tko