Old May 12th, 11, 3:19 pm   #1
aplatime
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 580
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke
Ikea space savers or useful things you couldn't do without

Hi All,

I'm currently planning my small U-shaped ikea kitchen (12x9 with a table and two doorways!) and so I'm interested in really useful space saving ideas from ikea. Is there a particular kind of cabinet, shelf, appliance, organizer, hanging rack, etc. that you love in your kitchens (especially very small ones) and use all the time? Alternatively, anything that you thought might be useful, but never turned out to be?

For instance, I could fit in one of the little 9"x30" wine racks, but would I ultimately ever use it? Other ideas are a built in flour bin, or bin for holding onions and potatoes.

Thanks for reading and happy spring!

Share |

aplatime is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old May 12th, 11, 3:26 pm  
Administrator

iKarma: 220,591
Gallery: 1457
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 3

Re: Ikea space savers or useful things you couldn't do without

Drawers, drawers, drawers, plus don't waste 'filler' space. Put small shelves in, or leave open for storing sheet pans, cutting boards, etc.

Susan

Share |
Old May 12th, 11, 3:52 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 347,241
Gallery: 99
My IKEA: USA-Pittsburgh
Doorstyle: Fagerland, painted
I've been blogged!

Drawers, drawers, drawers - can't repeat that enough! I really like my 18" 4-drawer. One shallow drawer is devoted to coffee, tea and their accessories. So much handier than digging through to find them in an upper cabinet.

Also love my 37" corner carousel. This set-up would be even better:
Quote:
Originally Posted by personalshopper

I put in my beloved 37" corner, because it provides easy access to a lazy susan that can hold a big collection of pots and pans. If you're inclined to do so, you can use kidney shaped wood lazy susans attached to shelves, instead of Ikea's carousel. Make the decision before you assemble the cabinet unless your hobby is building ships in bottles. The 32" size is the same as Ikea's, but you'll never have to work around a center pole. The Hardware Hut - Product #OME-T8332K30TRDCBMNL1 - Omega National 32" (813mm) Kidney Shelf & Swivel Bearing - 2 Shelf Set (Maple)

If you'll post your plan (file -->e-mail --> e-mail to self --> cut and paste provided link into the text of your post) we'll put our heads together to wring out all the function possible from your space.

Share |
tbb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 11, 8:00 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 181,285
My IKEA: USA-Orlando
Doorstyle: Ramsjo BB

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Well, okay...since you brought it up:

1-Lazy susans in corner cabinets - both base and wall cabinets. Ikea's base carousel is good. I'm not so wild about the one for the wall cabinet. Just use shelves there and buy an 18" plastic lazy susan at Bed Bath and Beyond.

2-Accessible trash can inside a cabinet. Pull-out, slide-out or tip-out, your choice. Find a place for one and modify a drawer as an undersink pullout (great examples here on Ikeafans) or buy a Rev-a-Shelf unit...but get the trash out of sight, while keeping it close.

3-Knives. A problem, if you don't like knifeblocks. Once upon a time you could buy these undercabinet swing-downs Buy Merillat Accessories in our Online Store
for a reasonable price. (Obviously, non-Ikea) Fast-forward to 2011. If you don't want to spend $140, you have to look for them on ebay. Worth the hunt. Mine is still functioning perfectly after taking 20+ years of daily abuse. Second choice: the wall-mounted magnetic knife rack. Ikea's is a generous size, and I have the pinched finger to prove how strong the magnets are.

4-Cutting board storage. Best use of wasted space ever is the open shelf arrangement suggested by Susan. It should be required in every kitchen. When the cutting board slot is just below the knife rack, life is much easier.

5-Has anyone mentioned drawers? No? Really, I'm surprised.... Any size stack of drawers is good, but like tbb, I think the 18" one is just right. The spoons, spatulas, measuring spoons, graters etc live in the shallow drawers; plastic containers of flour and sugar, Crisco and a handmixer are in the deeper one. I could mix up a batch of cookies or brownies in 4 minutes back when I needed to (kids), without expending any of the calories I was about to take in.

6-If you can, take advantage of Ikea's wonderful 24" deep cabinets for over the refrigerator. With vertical dividers installed (Ikea sells a version), your baking pans, cookie sheets, cooling racks etc. will stand on edge in their own compartment, not exist in tangled, noisy pile in that miserable drawer in the bottom of the stove. Designing Your Dream Home: Kitchen: Vertical Storage Option Series Part Two – Cabinet Vertical Storage

That's what comes to mind right now. Sorry you asked?

Share |
personalshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 11, 8:12 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 17,721
Gallery: 48
My IKEA: United Kingdom-Southampton
Doorstyle: Lidingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by personalshopper View Post
6-If you can, take advantage of Ikea's wonderful 24" deep cabinets for over the refrigerator. With vertical dividers installed (Ikea sells a version), your baking pans, cookie sheets, cooling racks etc. will stand on edge in their own compartment, not exist in tangled, noisy pile in that miserable drawer in the bottom of the stove.
Have you got a link to an Ikea version? Not that it should be too hard to make my own...

Share |
RobUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 11, 8:37 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

Sorry, I can't find a picture, and they're easy to overlook at the store. Ikea's dividers are metal hoops that screw into the base of the cabinet. They're inexpensive and, of course, readily available, but the large-ish upside-down U shape makes it easy for the corners of pans to catch on them. I like the DIY wood dividers in the pictures better. Another option: the kind of plastic or metal file holders designed for desks. SteelMaster® Steel Vertical Organizer, 4 Compartments, Black | Staples®

Share |
Old May 13th, 11, 12:34 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 580
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

Wow! Excellent advice. All of your posts are super helpful. Here's the plan I'm working with currently. I'd definitely appreciate any input anyone is interested in giving! I love the idea about using a lazy susan without the central bar in the corner cupboard, and all of the other ideas are very sensible as well! I'm thinking, based on your responses, that I should make my sink a single one rather than double, and expand the drawers. I do love the idea of a pull out garbage can, though, so maybe I want the sink cabinet to be large?

Thanks again, you've definitely got my ideas percolating!

http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/CA/UI...SharedDesign=1

Share |
aplatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 11, 2:38 am  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 347,241
Gallery: 99
My IKEA: USA-Pittsburgh
Doorstyle: Fagerland, painted
I've been blogged!

You've done a really nice job with your plan!

A few tweaks - Click here to start planning your room
(The Canadian and US planners aren't speaking to each other. I set this up in the US planner, which you can open, but not fiddle with.)

The over-stove microwave/fan combination is available by choosing "fan cabinet" under wall cabinets, and then the microwave of your choice. The cabinet you've chosen would go anywhere but over a cooktop - not safe.

However, I took a different route. I put your microwave under a cabinet next to the fridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat94
I don't know if this works for you, but for best use of space, we decided NOT to use the microwave cabinet, and instead use an under cabinet micro.

Click for larger version

The Micro is a GE Spacemaker II PEM31SMSS. It hangs about 1.5 to 2 inches below the edge of the cover panel/light rail, but the cabinet above is a full cabinet that gives us a lot more accessible space than a micro cabinet would.

Here's a link to the micro at AJ Madison

GE PEM31 1.0 cu. ft. Countertop Microwave Oven with 800 Watts, 10 Power Levels, 6 Sensor Settings, Glass Turntable, Optional Built-in Trim Kit and Optional Hanging Kit

You have to buy the hanging kit (about $20) to install it as an under-cabinet.

The thing I really like about it is how "built in" it looks. It is just about 1/8" narrower than the full width of the cabinet (about 1" wider than a micro that would go on the micro shelf cab - because is includes the width of the side walls of the cabinet). And it is just about perfectly flush with the doors above it on the cabinet - it sticks out maybe 1/16"

Ted
In addition to having the microwave user standing in a different place, I thought a hood opened things up. I'm not sure the cabinet over the microwave gets used much. Some fan wisdom:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltmaster
Ventilation alert....

Since you've knocked down a wall, your stove is now basically in the family room. You will need to upgrade your ventilation. I recommend 800 cfm or better. Nearly all microwave/hood combos have only about 300cfm of power; not nearly enough. They are limited becasue of the size of motor that can fit the space. Dacor makes a combo unit that has an auxilliary motor; and is priced accordingly. Easiest and most economical is to switch to a stand alone vent hood (can be contemporary or traditional) and place the microwave elsewhere. Not to mention the danger of removing hot foods from a microwave at face level. EEK!

While I love IKEA cabinets, they are not the best game in town when it comes to appliances or range hoods. There are much better deals elsewhere. I suggest eBay as a place to view a lot of options in one place with the specs printed. Once you get an idea of what you want, you can shop around.

Wait, there's more. Not only is the stove in your family room, the range hood is too. Be sure to get one of the ultra quiet models. I wouldn't accept anything less than 65dB at the highest setting.

One more thing to think about...
I also thought the wall of glass cabs, so pretty in liljestad, opened things up. If you don't want that much stuff on display, you could hang some sheers on the inside of the door, or spray the glass with frosting.

Those upper corner cabinets are in a blind arrangement.
http://www.ikeafans.com/real-ikea-ki...and-after.html
The little kitchen that could and did……my finished dream Adel White kitchen project!!

The pullout pantry makes a backrest for one of your diners. I thought you needed an additional place to store your food. I had this picture in mind for the seating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aplatime4.jpg (30.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg aplatime3.jpg (28.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg aplatime2.jpg (30.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg aplatime1.jpg (41.5 KB, 13 views)

Share |

Last edited by tbb123; May 13th, 11 at 2:47 am..
tbb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 11, 5:50 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

With either a 30" or 36" sink base, you'll be able to fit the trash under the sink, as long as you choose your sink carefully. A large single bowl version is fine (much better than 2 small bowls), but you can also squeeze a good double bowl version in even a 30" cabinet. My daughter insisted on the double, and with some surgery, we coerced one into a 30" cab, with trash and recycling containers behind the doors. She used this one, which we had to import from a Canadian ebay source at the time: Stainless Steel Under Kitchen Sink Double Bowl (3120B) | eBay
The left bowl is as large as some single bowl sinks, and the drains are placed toward the back, leaving more room for trash cans up front. Here's how another Ikeafan put a too-wide sink in her 30" cabinet, reinforcing it with cover panels: The Kitchen Sink - IKEA FANS
If you decide on a single bowl and can find one with the drain offset to either the left or right, you'll have more room for the trash can in a pullout. IKEA Fans Photo: Sink base modification - 2 pullouts installed

I know it seems absurd to concentrate so much on the sink, but the one you choose and how the undersink pipes and garbage disposal are placed will determine whether or not you can fit the trash in that cabinet, and in your kitchen, it's the best place for it. For my daughter's kitchen, I even went so far as to get out graph paper and plot the position of pipes, disposal, pullouts, etc. and compare the remaining space to every known plastic trash can on the market. They have taken away my pencils now, and will release me from the institution soon. I hope.

Share |

Last edited by personalshopper; May 13th, 11 at 5:59 am..
Old May 13th, 11, 5:55 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

And another thing: if you use the maple lazy susans, don't count on being able to retrofit them. They are shockingly big, with their attached rim. Get those puppies inside the cabinet before you nail the back on.

Share |

Comment

Tags
cabinets , kitchen , small , space saving , tiny