No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Nov 6th, 11, 1:42 am   #1
mrspopo
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,057
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Portland
peninsula with overhang counter?

My original plan was to keep the kitchen half-wall and stick a bar counter on it... but it's not sturdy enough so as long as I'm taking out the wall why not have cabinets there with an overhang countertop? My main goal is to have some sort of counter space that you can eat at.

So the design would have a peninsula of cabinets coming out from the wall (with one end becoming a corner connecting it to other cabinets). I'm hoping to have it very narrow, but also have an overhang so a couple of stools can go there. Does something like this exist?

Can I stick 2 of the 24 or 30 inch cabinets there that are only 12" deep but put a 12" overhang on it? Since it would connect to the other cabinets in an L shape, I'm hoping it would be a slab granite or similar countertop to hold it in place. Is this going to be sturdy enough with one end mounted to a wall? Can 12" deep cabinets be drilled into the hardwood floor/subfloor to make them sturdy?

And is there some sort of ikea corner cabinet that would connect a 12" deep cabinet to a 24" deep one?

Share |

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Nov 28th, 11, 3:01 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 6,349
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-Philadelphia:South Philadelphia
Doorstyle: Fagerland
I've been blogged!
Re: peninsula with overhang counter?

If you install the wall cabinets with the suspension rail to the half wall, you won't need to secure them to the floor. The L for the granite is not strong enough to hold the overhang though, you should use brackets attached to the studs in the half wall to support your 12" overhang. There are no corner cabinets designed to connect a deep cabinet to a shallow cabinet. You can mount a wall corner cabinet to the floor, pulled forward to line up with the base cabinet but against the half wall so it lines up with the wall cabinet. Otherwise, you can devise your own blind corner cabinet using maybe a 30" base cabinet with only one 15" door, cover panel and filler.
Posted via Mobile Device

Share |
SueB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 12, 1:15 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,057
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Portland
Re: peninsula with overhang counter?

UPDATE and help still needed:

Most of our cabinets are in, but I'm not sure how to secure this peninsula. We are attaching 2 cabinets together that are 24" (wide/deep) so they come out from the wall 4 feet.

We'd still like to have an overhang of 12-15" (standard countertop height). And we are using slab quartz countertops. With this design we ended up having the stove right next to it, so the the peninsula will just end up being a big rectangle coming out 48" from the wall, and be about 36" wide.

I've seen diagrams of the 2x4 frame to set this on so it will match other cabinets and have the same toe kick and plinth. Is that going to make it sturdy enough? Anyone have detailed instructions to make a good base frame?

The cabinet is about 4.5" from the wall except for one remaining stud/post from the wall that was taken out. That 4x4 is less than 2 inches to the cabinet. Is there a way to attach the cabinet to the wall even though there's a 4" gap? If I make a frame for the ground and attach it to the wall will it be sturdy enough for a decent overhang?

My kitchen is halfway done and I'm falling in love but ready for it to be over. I was hoping to get it done before my baby starts walking. Too bad she's an early walker. Oh well.

Share |
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment