No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jan 6th, 12, 5:16 pm   #1
kmeredith82
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 464
Gallery: 4
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Bolingbrook
12" deep base cabinet - trash?

this is my first post so hopefully I do this correctly...

I am wondering if it possible to use a 12" deep base cabinet for some type of pull out trash. I am planning on installing a run of shallow depth cabinets along one wall for additional storage and counter space. I can fit an 18" wide cabinet in the space, and was planning on purchasing the 3 drawer unit. Can I just install the bottom drawer and then attach a 18x30 door to the drawer to make a pull out? Can the trash can just sit on the drawer?

I'm finding a lot of information about the 12" or 15" wide pull outs with trash on the forum, but I'm not seeing very much info on the shallow depth cabinets. Hopefully someone can help...

Thanks!!!

Share |

kmeredith82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jan 6th, 12, 6:32 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 181,285
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Orlando
Doorstyle: Ramsjo BB

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Re: 12" deep base cabinet - trash?

Instead of trying to make a pullout, could you hinge the bottom of the door to make a tip-out trashcan? Single Tip out with Drawer - 61

Share |
personalshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 12, 12:45 pm  
Formerly cecfconsult

iKarma: 90,423
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-New Haven
Doorstyle: ALL- I'm a designer.

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

I've been blogged!

Hi!

FWIW , I tried to create an 18"wide, 12" deep pullout under my mom's sink... seemed ideal, until we tried to insert and remove the trash can- it just didn't open wide enough to allow it, even though the trash can technically fit.

I think personalshopper's advice of a hinged tip-out sounds like your best bet, or perhaps a trash can that is mounted to the door itself??? (although that might not hold much weight-wise)

good luck!

Pia

Share |
I-PIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 12, 8:14 pm  
IKEA addict
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 33,533
Gallery: 21
Doorstyle: Adel MB, Birch and Stainless

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

A 12" deep trash cabinet is pretty tough. If you use drawers, remember that the shallow drawers are only something like 9" front to back. That is one small trash can!

Share |
ikitchensetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 12, 5:24 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

It sounds small, but that size space can hold a decent trash can. Searching for something that would work under my daughter's sink, in front of the garbage disposal, led me to audition a lot of trash cans. For this, I went to college? Any of these would fit cross-wise in a 12" deep, 18" wide cabinet.

10+ gallon, 15.5x11x20
Amazon.com: Rubbermaid Commercial Soft Molded Plastic Wastebasket, Rectangular, 10 1/4 Gallons, Black (295700BK): Home & Garden

38 qt(?), 14.6x10.6x18
Amazon.com: Rubbermaid Home 2806TP-WHT Open Wastebasket: Home & Garden

35 qt, 14.25x10.5x18
Amazon.com: Rev-A-Shelf 35Qt Replacement Waste Bin White: Home & Garden

Share |
Old Jan 11th, 12, 6:11 am  
IKEA addict
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 33,533
Gallery: 21
Doorstyle: Adel MB, Birch and Stainless

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Yes, those would fit in the 12" deep cabinet but my impression was that the OP was looking for a pull-out. That means a very tiny trash can since you are limited by the depth of the shallow drawer (8-9").

Share |
ikitchensetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 12, 6:59 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

Quote:
a pull-out.
I definitely wouldn't try a pullout in a 12" deep cabinet, based on the laws of physics and Pia's experience. I can't imagine the mess I'd make, trying to scrape a plate into a 9" opening.
Quote:
FWIW, I tried to create an 18"wide, 12" deep pullout under my mom's sink... seemed ideal, until we tried to insert and remove the trash can- it just didn't open wide enough to allow it, even though the trash can technically fit.

Share |
Old Jan 12th, 12, 3:43 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 464
Gallery: 4
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Bolingbrook

first, thank you all for your quick responses! i can see that this forum will be a great resource!

after the first suggestion to do a tilt out, i found this tutorial online: Ana White | Build a Wood Tilt Out Trash or Recycling Cabinet | Free and Easy DIY Project and Furniture Plans (this is a great website btw , if you haven't seen it before).

i'm thinking that i can probably just make my own tilt out using the base cabinet and door, but just modify the hinges and install those extra pieces to hold the trash can.

now i'm just trying to decide if i want to put a drawer above the trash can or not.... not of the trash cans that i've found are very tall, so i should be able to use the 24" door with a drawer above.

Share |
kmeredith82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 12, 7:38 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

I accidentally ran across the Ana trash tipout the other day when I was wandering around her blog, and I forgot to post the link for you. Glad you got there.

Hers is an excellent guide for parts - like the interior - but we'll have to come up with a different hinge arrangement, since her door is inset and Ikea doors are not. It's certainly doable, but I think the hinge(s) will have to be sandwiched vertically between the back of the door and the front of the cabinet, with the visible part of the hinge (a continuous piano hinge, maybe?) on the bottom of the door. It might be time to visit the Rockler.com website and see if anything looks like an obvious solution.

Share |
Old Jun 26th, 14, 3:22 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,493
My IKEA: USA-Portland

Hi, this is my first post, so let me know if I should start a new thread. I was wondering how the shallow trash worked out? I'm thinking of doing the same.

I have an 18" shallow wall cab planned for my island that I thought I could turn into a trash or recycling pullout with a top-mounted trash can holder with some 12" drawer slides.

I was originally planning undersink trash and recyling with the rationell pullouts, but in my 30" cab and undermount bredksar sink am worried I won't have enough room for both.

Any suggestions?

Share |
pdxdiymama is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment