LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Feb 14th, 12, 10:51 am   #1
Bca1313
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,560
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Dallas:Frisco
Any insight as to how this was pulled off?

We are just about to embark on an IKEA kitchen remodel and are in the process of finalizing our plans. While googling around I found this blog and the thing that caught my eye is the hanging cabs above the peninsula. Everywhere I have read this is not possible with IKEA.

I have put an IKEA kitchen in before so get the reasoning why and have considered some work arounds but thought I would check with all of you since there are so many people much more knowledgable than I am about this.

Here is the link:
Peninsulas that (hiccup) that we love! IKDO

Thoughts???

Share |

Bca1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 14th, 12, 6:15 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 233,789
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
Re: Any insight as to how this was pulled off?

Welcome to IKEAFANS, Bca.

I have hung cabinets from the ceiling for several customers. It is something that isn't for the faint-of-heart, and should only be done by a trained professional operating on a closed course. Aside from the difficulty of this kind of installation, another factor weighing against it is that those cabinets have a tendency to be vibration and noise transmitters from human activity overhead. So footsteps, furniture moving, etc., all run through the cabinets and their contents, and into the kitchen

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 12, 8:45 pm  
IKEA addict
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 33,835
Gallery: 21
Doorstyle: Adel MB, Birch and Stainless

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I've been blogged!
Re: Any insight as to how this was pulled off?

I'm not a big fan of hanging down cabinets. It was popular in the 60's. I think it really closes up a space. In the over 200 kitchens we have installed, we have only installed these once.

It is definitely possible with the correct preparation of the framing but not my kind style.

Share |
ikitchensetc is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment