No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Mar 6th, 12, 6:42 pm   #1
dawlski99
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 583
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Ikea kitchen quality review???

Please help! We are having an Ikea kitchen designer come out at the end of this month. I just found out that the kitchen framing of the cabinets are made of particle board and only some of the doors are made of solid wood, depending on what you get. I also found out the countertops are formica. To do the whole kitchen, it would cost about 5k with the oven, microwave, stove, sink, cabinets, hardware, and I think that is it, according to the ikea online kitchen planner. What kind of quality am I going ot get and how much is installation usually going to run for a smaller size kitchen? Am I doing the right thing going with Ikea?

Share |

dawlski99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 6th, 12, 8:05 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 34,347
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Doorstyle: Lidingo in the kitchen, Liljestad for the library and media center

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Re: Ikea kitchen quality review???

Don't panic!
This isn't the usual cheap particle board we're talking about here. This is a high density product, which is more stable than plywood in this use. Same for the doors. They don't warp, shrink, or split. They are also made to the higher European standards for off-gassing, something you will not find in the US at this price point.

You can use laminate countertops, butcherblock, or go outside IKEA and use any countertop you'd like.

Add to that the high-end hardware (drawer runners and hinges), and the fact that you really can do it all yourself, and IKEA is a no-brainer. For more info, look on the Forums under "Why Ikea" under "Welcome to IKEAfans"

For more info on the appliances, look under "Kitchen Appliances" also.

Share |
good42n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 12, 8:21 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 181,285
My IKEA: USA-Orlando
Doorstyle: Ramsjo BB

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 

Ditto everything said above. You won't be disappointed in the quality and versatility of the Ikea cabinets. The hardware (Blum hinges and drawer slides) can't be purchased elsewhere for anything close to Ikea prices. And 5 years from now, if you want to change the look of the kitchen, just snap on new doors.

Appliances: decent value if they have the features you want. Otherwise, shop your local outlets for bargains.

Countertops: okay, Ikea laminate are serviceable, but leave a little to be desired when it comes to how to handle corner installations and longer than average countertop runs. The butcherblock countertops are a fantastic buy, however. If you want to splurge on an upgrade for the kitchen, countertops would be a good place to do it.

Sink: with the exception of the Domsjo farmhouse sinks, I'd go elsewhere for this. I'm delighted with a couple of sinks we purchased from ebay vendors at prices I think were bargains. A nice deep sink adds a touch of quality to the kitchen.

Share |
personalshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 12, 10:11 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 26,908
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-Dallas:Frisco
Doorstyle: Stat

Also, remember the warranty! And the fact that you can do drawers in ALL the cabinet sizes not just one or two. I think if you really look and compare Ikea with the big box stores you will see that you get a lot better quality!

I do have to admit there is one small disadvantage to having the quiet close drawers and doors.....I can't hear when my kids are sneaking a snack!

Share |
momofEAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 12, 10:35 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 337,796
Gallery: 99
My IKEA: USA-Pittsburgh
Doorstyle: Fagerland, painted
I've been blogged!

Be aware that plenty of contractors are intimidated by IKEA cabinets. They are used to screwing faceframe upper cabinets into studs and all of them don't want to make that quantum leap into the beautifully-engineered frameless/ rail system. And many really don't want to have anything to do with putting them together. You lose a lot of the economy if you pay someone to assemble.

That being said, after you carefully follow those wordless IKEA instructions for 1 or 2 cabinets, assembly is a pleasant, rewarding activity to do with your friends, family or by yourself.

Many people want and need the other trades - plumbing, electrical, changing walls, drywall, floor installation, painting, trim carpentry. Installing the cabinets is a beautifully simple system. Don't get stuck with a contractor who isn't willing to follow it. They will not only void your warranty, the cabinets may (dangerously) not hold up. And that has nothing to do with IKEA's quality.

Share |
tbb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 12, 11:27 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 34,347
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Doorstyle: Lidingo in the kitchen, Liljestad for the library and media center

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 

OH yes, the rail system. Truly the best way to hang wall cabs! And the easiest. I am not a contractor. I do not do construction. I had only minimal issues putting in my cabs, and attaching the doors and countertops. I had much more trouble dealiing with contractors.

Share |
good42n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 12, 7:47 am  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 173,466
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise
Doorstyle: Stat or Lidi

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

You might also want to read the three sticky threads at the top of the Why Ikea? section:

Why IKEA? - IKEA FANS

Share |
Harpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 12, 2:02 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 6,454
Gallery: 41
I've been blogged!

Sounds like you're on a budget. If so, then it's a no brainer to go ikea. It is pretty universally agreed (and not just by this website) that in the price category, it's pretty much impossible to beat ikea for quality and price.

their frames are high density particle board. they are every bit as sturdy as solid wood and a fraction of the cost.

Their hardware (hinges,drawers etc.) are usually only found on much higher-end cabinets.

If you're concerned about the counters, go with their butcher block counters or source other options. If you want to stay within your budget go with their butcher block for most of the counter and splurge on a solid surface remnant from any local counter company for an island.

For doors, their quality is fine and what's super cool is if you change your mind down the road, you can run to ikea, grab whatever new style you like and have an entirely new kitchen look in an afternoon! Or, do what I did and custom order doors from Scherr's.

marc

Share |
mrcysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 12, 3:46 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 583
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown

Thanks for all the incredible advice everyone... you are all very helpful and I need all your input. So, you think we could install it ourselves. I feel so much more confident in our decision! Do you recommend we buy the oven, microwave, and stove through ikea since we will get 20 percent off if we spend more than 4,500 on everything kitchen? I think the butcher block is a great idea... no on to finding a remnant somewhere to go around our possible island with sink. Is it okay to have butcher block around the oven? I like rustic or cottagy look, which doors do you recommend? Any other suggestions are welcome

Share |
dawlski99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 12, 4:39 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 6,454
Gallery: 41
I've been blogged!

dawlski99,

Glad to hear you're stepping away from the ledge. Trust us, you're making the right choice.

RE: installing yourselves. This all depends on the complexity of your design and your own level on the handy scale. If you know your way away a tape measure, level, stud finder, etc. then by all means, do it yourself and save the money. As mentioned above, if your design requires moving plumbing, electrical, adding Sheetrock etc., best bring in the pros. My suggestion is to design your kitchen and do research here to understand exactly what is involved in putting the thing together. Then make the decision. There's no shame in hiring professionals.

RE: Appliances - Ikea appliances are nice. They're all made by larger brands for ikea. If you find an appliance you like, you can probably search for it on here and find out who made it and any issues there are with it. If you want the most cost effective route, going the ikea route with 20% off is likely to be the best bet.

RE: butcher block - no problem installing it near an oven or stove. just remember, like any counter top, you don't want to put hot pans directly on it. Good thinking about searching for a remnant piece of marble or Ceasar Stone for your island. It's a very cheap way to get a great custom look. Now you're thinking like an "ikea fan"

RE: rustic or cottage look - This depends on if you want martha stewart white cottage or warm inviting lodge rustic. white cottage? I'd go with STAT base with STAT Glass Door uppers. Lodge? I'd go LILJESTAD base with LILJESTAD uppers. (these are solid wood doors) To save money, you could go with ADEL and get a similar look.

Just remember, the sky's the limit for your kitchen. Pretty much anything you dream up can be done via ikea and a little creativity. Welcome to the forum.

cysco

Share |
mrcysco is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment