No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Mar 26th, 12, 3:36 pm   #1
dcmom123
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 360
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Bolingbrook
12 inch tall horizontal cabinets?

I am brand new to this website, and you all seem like a knowledgeable bunch so I thought I'd ask this:

I am removing a soffit in my kitchen that is 12 inches tall. There is an exhaust pipe above the stove/microwave that needs to be covered so our plan was to insert 12 inch cabinets above the 30 inch regular wall cabinets.

I thought I had seen some of these on the Ikea website, but I can't find any. Does ikea not make anything like this? The shortest I can find is 15 inches.

Is there anything we can finagle, such as turning a regular 12 inch wall cabinet sideways and omitting the shelves?

Share |

dcmom123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 26th, 12, 4:05 pm  
Formerly cecfconsult

iKarma: 90,542
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-New Haven
Doorstyle: ALL- I'm a designer.

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I've been blogged!
Re: 12 inch tall horizontal cabinets?

Hi dcmom and welcome!

IKEA does not make 12" high cabinets, they can be hacked/fabricated, but the main problem is that they don't make 12" high doors, so the only alternative is a 12" wide door hung horizontally. I've also hear that the 30" horizontal cabinets (available in 30" and 39" widths) do not exactly match the width of the 30" wall cabinets, nor would a 12" wide cabinet laid on its side, I don't think.

I'm not clear but are you replacing all the current wall cabinets when you take down these soffits? If so why not just use 39" high cabinets and boost them up an inch or so (a higher backsplash is usually good) and then add some trim at the top? This might be less work and less money too.

I've had clients with an unattractive exhaust vent just build a small 3-sided box to cover what's visible between the top of the cabinet and the ceiling.

Have you posted a copy of your plan here (we love plans!)

Best of luck with your project,

Pia

Share |
I-PIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 12, 6:01 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 360
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Bolingbrook
Re: 12 inch tall horizontal cabinets?

Here is my plan:
http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/US/UI...SharedDesign=1

I am still working a lot of things out. The corner by the sink and stove is very tight (I don't actually have the sink in the picture but it is below the window). I am using the high cabinet you see to represent a walled, built-in pantry closet. The room is not actually square--stairs to our lower level begin where the pantry door starts, if that makes sense. I currently have a 24 inch cabinet to cover the exhaust pipe above the microwave.

I was hoping to remove the soffit and put cabinets above to display my china and other rarely-used pieces, since I am very short (five feet tall) and need lower cabinets for regular use. I will have to look into alternatives. Thank you for your advice.

Share |
dcmom123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
12 inch cabinets , horizontal cabinets , soffit