LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Mar 27th, 07, 10:20 am   #1
cz9h3d
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 450
Gallery: 0
Ikea Appliances - any good?

I'm getting ready to go pick up a ton-o-parts to begin our kitchen. We weren't specifically looking at getting new appliances right away (ours are currently white, we'd prefer stainless with our Adel Birch). However the 10% offer currently available has me considering it. I'd probably buy all but a couple cabinets, then use the gift card for those!

Anyways, just looking/touching the whirlpool appliances hasn't impressed me terribly. Of course I tend to research the heck out of things and then spend way too much!

I'd be looking at an electric range and micro for the time being. I don't believe any of theirs are slide-in, are they?

Share |

cz9h3d is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 27th, 07, 6:59 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 17,440
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Doorstyle: Avsikt/Kalsebo

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!
No slide-in ranges.

Ikea's pricing is competitive - not necessarily the lowest for what features they offer, but not outrageous either.

That said, since they are made by Whirlpool, they are going to perform similar to other Whirpool models sharing the same chassis. Akin to the kitchen cabinets, the guts are often the same through many models, with just differences in the looks/controls.

Share |
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 07, 7:57 pm  
IKEA FAN

If I'm going to spend some more money (now), I want a slide-in range - although slide-in essentially seems like a way to increase the price a few hundred. I like to learn and research the heck out of things.... and I'm not finding a lot of online resources - or getting that excited about researching ovens, refrigerators, etc. I kind of feel like since I know I'm not going to spend the big bucks on subzero, viking, etc, just give me something that looks good for the best price...

Share |
Old Mar 27th, 07, 7:59 pm  
IKEA FAN

I wish I would have bought some of the Siemens units that were on clearance at Best Buy or on Ebay last year (where I bought my Siemens dishwasher, washer, and dryer!).

Share |
Old Mar 28th, 07, 7:47 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 190
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Doorstyle: Adel MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cz9h3d View Post
If I'm going to spend some more money (now), I want a slide-in range - although slide-in essentially seems like a way to increase the price a few hundred. I like to learn and research the heck out of things.... and I'm not finding a lot of online resources - or getting that excited about researching ovens, refrigerators, etc. I kind of feel like since I know I'm not going to spend the big bucks on subzero, viking, etc, just give me something that looks good for the best price...
Like you, I'm pretty tempted to buy a couple of appliances in order to take 10% off of my total kitchen order. And like you, I'm not terribly impressed with most of the IKEA appliances. Yep...like you--I totally research my purchases, too.

Initially I was expecting to purchase all of our appliances from IKEA. Gas range, micro/hood, fridge and dishwasher. Unfortunately, I didn't find the features we wished for on the range either. Specifically, we wanted a slide-in and we wanted a continuous grate on top. No joy with the IKEA ranges. So...

...we decided to purchase the slide in range (go to Sears and look at GE, Amana, Maytag and KitchenAid). We purchased a KitchenAid.

For dishwasher, we wanted hidden controls and, again, no joy at IKEA. We found a $599 Frigidaire at Sears. Both, by the way, were on sale 10% off recently. They (Sears) often has 10% off sales or other rebates.

As for the other stuff...we decided to buy the IKEA Luftig hood and the IKEA fridge. Why? The fridges are pretty good looking with typical (read "generic") performance. And although the micro/hood combo was tempting, we liked the way the Luftig hood would look over the slide in range. We purchased a stainless steel microwave from Sears (again with the 10%sale) for about $120 bucks and plan on building it into our IKEA cabs.

So, we'll report when all is installed and complete. And we'll probably wind up saving about $1000-1200 bucks because of buying an IKEA fridge and hood.

Food for thought anyway. Good luck with your project!

SCR

Share |
SoCentralRain is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
kitchenaid