No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Feb 13th, 13, 1:30 pm   #1
helington
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,818
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: United Kingdom-Manchester:Warrington
Faktum to be replaced with Metod

Just tried to log on to my kitchen design to finally place my order and the following message appeared:

Big news!
We're changing the IKEA kitchen system
On 15 April 2013, IKEA will replace our current kitchen system, FAKTUM , with METOD, a completely new kitchen system. METOD will offer more layout, style and storage possibilities than ever before so you'll have even more freedom to create your dream kitchen.
Of course, we still love our current kitchen system, FAKTUM and are proud of its quality. If you've started planning a FAKTUM kitchen before 15 April, 2013, you have two options: 1) continue planning a FAKTUM kitchen and complete your purchase before 31 July, 2013 or 2) transfer your kitchen space measurements to a new METOD design on or after 15 April, 2013.

Have questions? Check out the METOD/FAKTUM FAQ or contact your local IKEA store.

This message only appears when I try to login through Google Chrome and doesn't show if I go through Internet Explorer (which I normally use) so thought I should post in case anyone else has missed it.

Now I'm not sure whether I should wait, if there is a greater variety of cabinet sizes, I might be able to do away with the need to modify gaps, but I worry that the prices may increase which is not good when on tight budget. The FAQ page does not work as yet.

Share |

helington is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 13th, 13, 3:37 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 4,588
My IKEA: United Kingdom-Glasgow
Re: Faktum to be replaced with Metod

wow thanks for posting that. I use safari on mac and hadn't seen that message.

I had noticed that Ikea have been changing their oven range recently. The was a new huge beech worktop saver I was coveting when I was at ikea last week.

If you can I would probably wait until April so you can see what the new range is like then you can decide. At some point they will probably be selling the Faktum units off cheaper but I'd guess you'd have to run the risk of some of the units being unavailable. Are you able to get to an Ikea fairly easily to talk to a Kitchen assistant who should have insider knowledge?

Share |
Phoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 13, 11:14 am  
IKEA FAN

I called the store today, and the man I spoke to didn't have a clue (was very polite and did his best to help - just didn't know anything useful), said I'd have to speak to the department , which I apparently can't do over the phone, and when I tried to book an appointment was told I couldn't book over the phone either which is a bit rubbish.

I only live about 20 min away, but it's still annoying that I've got to mither hubby to take me to Ikea (I don't drive) to book appointment and then mither him again to get to appointment - I feel sorry for people who live further afield.

Hubby reckons we should just go ahead, order and get the kitchen done, although I think that might be because he can't bear another trip to Ikea

Share |
Old Feb 20th, 13, 9:42 am  
IKEA FAN

Have spoken to someone at Ikea who managed to find out the Metod will be in store from April 2014. No info as to what those changes will be.

Not sure whether to go ahead with the Ikea kitchen now, if the door sizes change, I wont be able to replace the doors when needed.

Share |
Old Feb 20th, 13, 7:50 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 26,874
Gallery: 28
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
I've been blogged!

I talked to Ikea kitchen staff at the Chicago Schaumburg store today.
They told me that starting in 2015 the Metod cabinet system will replace the Akurum cabinets in the US as well.

Share |
Old Mar 1st, 13, 10:24 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 74
My IKEA: United Kingdom-London:Lakeside

Is this in the US only - or will it apply in the UK ?

Share |
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 13, 10:55 am  
IKEA FAN

Yeap will be in the UK (and Europe) too.

Helington - did the Ikea worker say it's launch had been delayed a year? Do we know what will be happening this year? Do you still see your initial message when you log onto your layout on the kitchen planner?

I would find a year and a bit, too long to wait for a new kitchen if I was ready to buy, but 2 months...

I'm a bit worried about teething problems with the new system. I'm vaguely planning a new kitchen for around 2014/2015, each time I save a bit of money I plan a bit more!

Share |
Old Mar 1st, 13, 12:44 pm  
IKEA FAN

Phoe - I used the online chat, the person I 'spoke' to contacted one of the managers who gave the date of April 2014. Wasn't able to give me any more information than that, I did not specifically ask if the release had been delayed.

I do not get that initial message anymore. The linked page I originally posted has changed (now showing a child looking under a curtain - could this be the big reveal on the 6th?), although still not a functioning FAQ page.

It's really frustrating, I do not want to buy a kitchen I wont be able to buy replacement doors for when it comes time to sell the house for example, or if one becomes damaged.

Am being advised by friends to go to Howdens but am no good at haggling, much prefer Ikeas open/visible pricing.

Share |

Last edited by helington; Mar 1st, 13 at 2:35 pm..
Old Mar 6th, 13, 10:34 am  
IKEA FAN

Small amount of info from Denmarks Ikea website - translated through google translate:

We change our kitchen series and provides 10% of FACT

We say goodbye to FAKTUM kitchen and hello to a brand new kitchen series, 15 April. You still get 25 year warranty on your FAKTUM kitchen, and you can continue to complement the kitchen the next 2 years.

If you are not afraid of a little kitchen construction mess, would you take to look a trip to IKEA from 6 March and get 10% discount FACT. Otherwise, we are pleased just to see you again when Denmark says hello to a new kitchen series, 15 April 2013.

Share |
Old Mar 6th, 13, 12:43 pm  
IKEA FAN

We'll probably be getting this next year then, in the UK .
Have you seen the pictures? IKEA METOD – välkommen

If you get your cabinets from howdens or anywhere else including ikea after they've introduced metod, there aren't any guarantees that they won't change the door sizes a few years down the line. Not that I'm trying to persuade you one way or another, I'd agree with you that I'd like to have the option of getting new doors some years late if required. I quite like the look of the new system but hope they have lots of door styles and glass doors, am quite excited.

Share |

Comment