LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Feb 18th, 13, 11:04 am   #1
judibean
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 2,920
Gallery: 7
My IKEA: USA-New York:Brooklyn
Question Using milk or chalk paint on Ramsjo white cabinets?

Hi,
I'm planning to redo my kitchen with the Ramsjo white cabs. I'm not entirely happy with the pink undertone, so I've been researching ways to paint it, both in this forum and elsewhere. I know people have used oil-based alkyd paint with a roller or sprayer. A thin layer of milk or chalk paint sounds more appealing to me, especially since I'm going for a less-than-perfect country kitchen look. I would then follow up with some Johnson furniture wax to buff the fronts to a low sheen. Has anyone done this and wouldn't mind sharing their experience and the results? I'm thinking of going with a pure white to hide the pink.

Share |

judibean is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 18th, 13, 11:43 am  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 167,556
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise
Doorstyle: Stat or Lidi

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Re: Using milk or chalk paint on Ramsjo white cabinets?

Honestly, while I think it would look fab at first, I'd never paint kitchen cabinets with chalk paint unless I planned to make this an annual event. It's one thing to paint a side table that you aren't going to be grabbing all the time, but personally I'd either have the cabinets repainted in the hardest finish I could find or learn to embrace the pink.

Share |
Harpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 13, 6:39 pm  
IKEA FAN

Call me crazy but I went ahead and painted a Ramsjo door with DIY chalk paint. The reason why I'm thinking this route may work best for me is because I don't want the baked-in paint look - that is what I'll get if I order custom doors painted white from online door companies. FYI - the Conestoga doors are like this - plastic to the touch over solid wood. I haven't gotten a sample from Scherr's but would think that they would apply white paint in the same way. Probably a very durable finish, but not what I'm looking for in aesthetics.

Anyway, I used a 4" dense foam roller and applied two thin coats. I did a test on the front - I sanded a third of the door, left the middle un-sanded, and didn't touch the remaining third. The paint went on smoothly on both the sanded and un-sanded side and as you can see in the pic , (under incandescent kitchen lighting) you can't tell any difference in texture or color. In contrast, what you can clearly see is that the untouched third is suddenly more pink in comparison.

My next step is to experiment with the topcoat - obviously I need something to protect from chipping, grease, and water - on the white part, I'll do half in wax (buffed to a very low sheen) and half in polyacrylic (in matte finish). I'll update tomorrow with the results using wax (need to find the matte polyacrylic somewhere local - much harder than I would've thought!).

Again, if anyone has already pioneered this type of experiment on Ikea doors, please share! I can't be the first!

Share |
Old Feb 23rd, 13, 7:37 pm  
Head IKEA Geek

iKarma: 189,363
Gallery: 1455
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 3

Nice! Keep posting pics as your project progresses!

Susan

Share |
Old Feb 24th, 13, 10:11 pm  
IKEA FAN

As I discovered, waxing is not the way to go, especially over bright white paint (see top left portion of the door). This is after 2 coats of Johnson Wax, buffed to a low sheen.

Notice the darkening effect? Not acceptable. When I bring the door down to base cab level where there is less light, the darkened effect is more pronounced - it starts looking much warmer like the original Ramsjo color.

I'm rethinking this whole painting idea. I did some more research on the water-based polyacrylic top coat - seems like you run the risk of yellowing over white paint even though it's water-based.

Hope this lesson has been helpful to some people who were curious about going this route. I'm going to research some more door companies that might offer painted white fronts with less sheen on them.

Share |
Old Mar 7th, 14, 7:41 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 248
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Paramus

Judibean, I am curious on how your project went with the paint on the ramsjo white cabinets...I am also wanting to paint these for my kitchen project (to get a brighter white) and am wondering what you ended up using for paint and sealer, if it is wearing well and if you happy with the outcome. Hope it turned out well!

Share |
Katalakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 14, 9:32 pm  
IKEA FAN

Katalakk - I ended up getting custom-made white shaker doors and drawer fronts for my cabs. It was going to be too much work painting everything and I wasn't happy with the brush marks showing on the surface.

Share |
Old Mar 8th, 14, 6:34 am  
IKEA FAN

Thanks Judibean, I may consider this as well, Did the company pre drill the holes for the ikea hardware for you?

Share |
Old Mar 8th, 14, 7:32 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 7,357
Gallery: 11
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Elizabeth
Doorstyle: Ramsjo

As soon as the weather warms up, my plans are to paint the ramsjo doors with Rustoleum Painters Touch Ultra cover 2X Semi-gloss white spray paint (#249060, got at Home Depot). You must use a liquid deglosser first and no sanding or priming. Last year I did some tests on a spare door and that method looked the best. It is pretty durable, but it is still just one coat of spray paint and you have to wait 48 hours for it to really cure before hanging.

My Kitchen remodel was interupted last year, but I am getting back to it this year!

Here are some pics. The two at the near end are the Semi-gloss paint. Right is with primer, left is without primer.

different view of my test door, the ones at the far end are different paints and primers.

Share |
kevin-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 14, 3:36 pm  
IKEA FAN

That looks pretty good and smooth, would love to see some pictures of the outcome when your done. Curious,Did you hang the test doors to see how they would wear with use? Thanks for sharing.

Share |

Comment

Tags
cabinets , chalk , milk , paint , ramsjo