No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jun 2nd, 13, 4:18 am   #1
joshing
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,465
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Costa Mesa
Painting Ikea Cabinets

I'm not a big fan of the white Ikea cabinets. To me, they just came across as too 'plasticy'. And, when I talked to Ikea workers, they said it wouldn't really work to try to paint over that white ikea cabinet I wanted to. (I think it was the Adel with its foil finish).

But, I remember watching Sarah Richardson on TV paint over Ikea cabinets to get the color she wanted. And, I've heard from secondary sources about a blog post by Carole Reed about painting Ikea cabinets, but I think that post might have been take down.

So, it seems that certain Ikea cabinets can be painted. Which cabinets can you do that for?

Is it possible to paint over the Adel beech to get a white Adel cabinet without the plasticy feel of the foil finish of the Adel cabinets?

And, would it be possible to paint two different cabinets where you couldn't tell they were from different lines? I'd like to paint the Adel beech white, but I don't like their glass fronts for the Adel line- I'd rather the glass to be see through. So, I was thinking about taking a door with a clear front and pair that with the Adel. Something like the Lindigo, but the white finish on it would be different that the one I painted so I'd probably have to paint the Lindigo same shade of white to match the white I'm planning on using for the Beech.

Is it possible to do something like this? Any potential problems?

Share |

Last edited by joshing; Jun 2nd, 13 at 4:28 am..
joshing is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 2nd, 13, 10:40 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 328,166
Gallery: 99
My IKEA: USA-Pittsburgh
Doorstyle: Fagerland, painted
I've been blogged!
Re: Painting Ikea Cabinets

A potentially helpful thread:
How can I paint Ramsjo "white" cabinets?

Share |
tbb123 is online now   Reply With Quote

Comment