LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jul 7th, 13, 3:06 pm   #1
jancop
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 250
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Question Narrow sink in corner base cabinet ?

Hi, all. I seek your help. I'm putting a little Ikea kitchenette into a basement room, and would like to use the 37" corner cabinet to hold a narrow sink (Moen Camelot - bowl is 16 deep front to back but only 14 inches wide - really a large bar sink).

I see others have previously said the 37" corner base cannot be readily modified to hold a standard rectangular sink, but I am hoping it's more doable with this narrower sink.

Seems to me I have 12" wide of full depth available in the corner base and only need to find 2" more. Maybe I could scoop out the top of the base cabinet side wall enough to let the bowl sneak 2 inches into the next cabinet. Or if I moved the adjoining cabinet over by 2 inches, with a filler in front to hide the empty 2 inch gap, then the sink could rest on the top of the next cabinet. Does this make sense?

Any other ideas? (Unfortunately, the 49 inch blind base is too long for my space available. I have to fit in an 18 inch dishwasher and only have 56 inches total available in length.)

Thanks!!!

Moen Camelot SINK DESCRIPTION
• Manufactured of 20 gauge, type 301 nickel-bearing
stainless steel
• Single bowl is 14" x 16" x 7"
• The sink ledge has three fixture mounting holes,
1-1/2" in diameter located 4" on center
• Has one 3-1/2" diameter recessed drain opening
• Soundshield undercoating maximizes sound
deadening and inhibits condensation
• The exposed surfaces are polished to a lustrous
satin tone finish
• Includes all necessary mounting hardware
CUT OUT DIMENSIONS
• Cut out dimensions are 16-1/2" x 21-1/2", with a 3/4"
corner radius. A tolerance of plus or minus1/16"
is acceptable
STANDARDS
• Third party certified by IAPMO to meet ASME A112.19.3
and all applicable specifications referenced therein.
WARRANTY
• Warranted for ten years against material or
manufacturing defects
Camelot®
Single Bowl Kitchen Sink
Model: 22231
(K-1722-3-7)
12-1/2"
(318mm)
2-3/4"(70mm)
R. TYP.
4"(102mm)
4"(102mm)

Share |

jancop is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jul 7th, 13, 7:35 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 348,075
Gallery: 99
My IKEA: USA-Pittsburgh
Doorstyle: Fagerland, painted
I've been blogged!
Re: Narrow sink in corner base cabinet ?

Hi Jancop,

We can be more helpful if you post a link to your planner file. With the file open:
File (to the right of the gold IKEA logo) --> e-mail --> e-mail to yourself --> open provided link --> copy and paste that URL into the text of your post.

Share |
tbb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 13, 1:53 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 8,312
Gallery: 1
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/custome.../A10049341.pdf

If you look at step #21, you will see the 37"x37" base corner is basically a 36+" base plus an 12" wide add-on.

I think your small sink can fit in the 36"+ wide portion of the cabinet.

Share |
aiwei1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 13, 12:11 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 233,966
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!

Welcome to IKEAFANS, jancop.

A sink in the 37" corner is a bad idea, even if your sink fits in the cabinet. It can be done - it doesn't mean it should be.

Instead, try using a corner wall cabinet as your corner sink base - you can use a full size (25 x 22") single bowl sink in that cabinet. Do a search using my name to find out how to mod the corner wall cabinet to work as a corner sink.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 13, 12:47 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 348,075
Gallery: 99
My IKEA: USA-Pittsburgh
Doorstyle: Fagerland, painted
I've been blogged!

Here are Chuck's instructions:

From Installer Extraordinaire Chuck, who I would quote, but when I do I get an error: corner sink
OK, here's the mod I used for Madeline and about 6 others. It uses
regular 25 x 30" corner wall cabinet, cut and installed as follows. The big advantages to it are it gives you nearly 18" of diagonal working space at the sink (while taking up only 37" off running wall space on either side, it leaves no dead space, and it allows you to use a full size single bowl sink.
Unfortunately, I've never taken pictures of this.

First off, keep in mind that the working measurement for this mod is still 37" x 37", just as if you were using the "regular" base cabinet.

When you begin to install the base cabinets, leave a 37" "hole" for the corner cabinet, and just place the two adjacent cabinets - don't actually secure them to the wall just yet. Make sure that the front "inside" leg blocks on these adjacent cabinets are set so they protrude into the corner space, as the cabinet will rest on those.

Assemble the corner cabinet using ONLY the top, bottom and 2 sides - leave out the 3 pieces that make up the back. Also, only use the two front sets of screws, cam locks and dowels in the top.

From above, drop the wall cabinet into place, and pull the cabinets together, so that you have a continuous run. Once all of this is done, cut out all but the very front 2" of the top of the corner cabinet, leaving yourself a 2" "rail" as in the other base cabs.

At this point, there will be a 12" gap "behind" the base cabinet. Have your installer fabricate a new "bottom" for the corner cabinet using a 36" square piece of 3/4" plywood. It will take a little "gymnastics" and patience to get this piece in place, but it leaves you with a cavernous space below the sink. A standard single bowl sink fits easily into this space.

Also, depending on the material you use for your counters, your installer may have to install wall cleats into the corner to support the tops.

If this isn't clear, or you have any questions about this, feel free to PM or e-mail me.

I'm hoping the OP posts a planner file link. I'll bet a no-corner plan (galley) might work better. My inspiration tiny kitchen:
Richard's Bright, Well-Lit Kitchen | Small Cool Kitchens 2011 | Apartment Therapy

Share |
tbb123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
kitchen , modifications , planning