LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jul 14th, 13, 10:50 am   #1
Hestia
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 9,736
Gallery: 1
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Craftsman Room Divider with Akurum Cabinets?

Hi, I am trying to decide if we can use Akurum cabinets to create an Arts & Crafts style room divider as seen on this page:
craftsman style room divider columns added to DIY living room renovation. | Jenallyson - The Project Girl - Fun Easy Craft Projects including Home Improvement and Decorating - For Women and Moms
The Akurum cabinets would be mounted sideways against the wall, and I would use plywood for the back with Ikea doors mounted to the backs and sides (Adel style doors). Ikea cabinets call for mounting to the back only, and I would be mounting the sides. We like the idea of using 24" wide wall cabinets (12" deep) and would mount stained butcher block for the tops, then create the columns as stated in the linked article.

just would like to know if:

1) anyone here has done this;
2) Is this a bad idea structurally, and should I just create them out of plywood?

Thank you!
Hestia

Share |

Last edited by Hestia; Jul 14th, 13 at 12:10 pm..
Hestia is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jul 16th, 13, 9:40 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 9,736
Gallery: 1
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Anyone?

Just wanted to see if anyone had advice on this.

"No, you can't do that" or

"Sure, you can do that"

Should I have posted this to the Hacking forum instead? I want to modify the way I install kitchen cabinets - not for a kitchen design per se, but just outside the kitchen. Sorry if it is in the wrong spot.

Thanks!
Hestia

Share |
Hestia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 13, 8:35 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 14,555
Gallery: 10
I've been blogged!
Re: Craftsman Room Divider with Akurum Cabinets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hestia View Post
Hi, I am trying to decide if we can use Akurum cabinets to create an Arts & Crafts style room divider as seen on this page:
craftsman style room divider columns added to DIY living room renovation. | Jenallyson - The Project Girl - Fun Easy Craft Projects including Home Improvement and Decorating - For Women and Moms
The Akurum cabinets would be mounted sideways against the wall, and I would use plywood for the back with Ikea doors mounted to the backs and sides (Adel style doors). Ikea cabinets call for mounting to the back only, and I would be mounting the sides. We like the idea of using 24" wide wall cabinets (12" deep) and would mount stained butcher block for the tops, then create the columns as stated in the linked article.

just would like to know if:

1) anyone here has done this;
2) Is this a bad idea structurally, and should I just create them out of plywood?

Thank you!
Hestia
As a contractor I've used Ikea glass cabinets in somewhat similar ways for built-ins (see pics). Two things though: 1) There is no 24" wide Ikea cabinet that can be had with glass doors. Your options are 15", 18", 30" and 36". 2) The Adel door is not available with clear glass (although with some effort you can remove the patterned glass it comes with). I prefer to use Ramsjo glass doors in applications like this, as they are clear glass doors - and it's a nicer-looking door anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7494.jpg (1.20 MB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 100_6009.jpg (974.5 KB, 23 views)

Share |
johnbh is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment