LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Aug 4th, 13, 8:40 pm   #1
yoda123
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 916
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
thoughts on this gut remodel of small kitchen?

SORRY! reposted this thread here:

remodeling 80s galley kitchen

Hello ikeafans, I'd love your thoughts on this layout. I've done a gajillion and this is the current winner.

http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/US/UI...SharedDesign=1

The total common space (including dining, kitchen, and living) is a small 450 sq ft. It's also pretty dark, with 2 windows for the entire area and not much direct sun. So I want the room to be as streamlined and light as possible.

In my first iteration of this layout I had a sort of open galley kitchen, with the sink on the front island and fridge and range on the back wall. I still like that but would like to see if we can save the $$$ and keep the plumbing and drain where it is. Also, I'd love a shelf for cookbooks and space for vertical pan storage. But at the same time I don't want any visual clutter--any ideas? Lastly, that back wall backsplash will end where the kitchen cabinets end.

Really look forward to your feedback! Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf kitchen2.pdf (95.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: pdf kitchen1.pdf (87.7 KB, 2 views)

Share |

Last edited by yoda123; Aug 5th, 13 at 10:48 am.. Reason: added picture
yoda123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Aug 5th, 13, 11:08 am  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 328,470
Gallery: 99
My IKEA: USA-Pittsburgh
Doorstyle: Fagerland, painted
I've been blogged!
Re: Small open plan kitchen in 70s townhouse

Hi Yoda and welcome to IKEAFans!

http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/US/UI...SharedDesign=1

While I like the idea of hiding the appliances on the back wall, I didn't think you'd be able to open your refrigerator doors fully. Now it's over handy to your diners. To its right I've stacked three 30" corner upper cabinets. So crazy it just might work. It would need a custom base of 2x4s - but maybe the legs would work. A length of mirror on the angled face close to the window could up your natural light quotient.

Vertical storage above the fridge:

http://designingyourdreamhome.blogsp...series_25.html

I put your cookbooks in the island - just left of the doors on those shallow bases.

Microwave solutions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat94
I don't know if this works for you, but for best use of space, we decided NOT to use the microwave cabinet, and instead use an under cabinet micro.

Click for larger version

The Micro is a GE Spacemaker II PEM31SMSS. It hangs about 1.5 to 2 inches below the edge of the cover panel/light rail, but the cabinet above is a full cabinet that gives us a lot more accessible space than a micro cabinet would.

Here's a link to the micro at AJ Madison

GE PEM31 1.0 cu. ft. Countertop Microwave Oven with 800 Watts, 10 Power Levels, 6 Sensor Settings and Glass Turntable

You have to buy the hanging kit (about $20) to install it as an under-cabinet.

The thing I really like about it is how "built in" it looks. It is just about 1/8" narrower than the full width of the cabinet (about 1" wider than a micro that would go on the micro shelf cab - because is includes the width of the side walls of the cabinet). And it is just about perfectly flush with the doors above it on the cabinet - it sticks out maybe 1/16"

Ted
Larger microwave solutions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by personalshopper
A possible problem-solver for some kitchen designers? I just stumbled across this over-counter (NOT made for over the range) microwave - a very handsome one, I think. It's more generously sized than the GE Profile that has been suggested quite often in the kitchen planning forum, so if the petite size of the GE model doesn't meet your needs, take a look at this Sharp model. It's available in stainless, black and white, and would fit nicely below a 24" wall cabinet. Sharp R121 1.5 cu. ft. Over the Counter Microwave Oven with 1,100 Cooking Watts, Defrost Center, Interactive Cooking System and Auto-Touch Control Panel

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yoda 1.jpg (32.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Yoda 2.jpg (20.6 KB, 3 views)

Share |
tbb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 13, 1:48 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 916
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg

how ingenious! stacked corner cabinets creates a lot of storage.
to reduce the bulk...what about an ikea pantry there instead? perhaps not as elegant a way to end that row of cabinets though. as for the island shelves, I love it. I don't have much in the way of display items, mostly junk that guests shouldn't see, maybe I'll flip the island around so the shelves face in.

Thanks so much. Really wonderful to get a fresh, knowledgeable set of eyes.

Share |
yoda123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment