LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Feb 18th, 14, 10:08 am   #1
arosso
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 6,949
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Question Perfekt Cover Panels as 'Counters'?

I'm not sure if this should be posted here or the living room forum. I'm looking to use akurum cabinets to create some built in cabinets in the living room with the Gnosjo finish.

Since the top of the cabinets won't be used as a work area but just more for trinkets, maybe some books, etc. I was thinking that rather than get a 'real' counter I could just use the perfekt cover panels on top of the cabinets. Has anyone done this before? Are there any gotchas?

I was going to install 3 cabinets - 18", 21", 18" - and then cut the 80" cover panel down to size to put on top.

Working with the panels in the kitchen they seem fairly sturdy so seems like it should work?

Thanks.

Share |

arosso is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 18th, 14, 10:32 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 32,703
Gallery: 17
My IKEA: Canada-Calgary
I've been blogged!
Re: Perfekt Cover Panels as 'Counters'?

I'd be interested to see how they work out, as I was considering the same.

I'd imagine the laminate/MDF door styles would hold up better than the wood ones. I know people have made shelves many times over out of cover panels with much success, so can't see why it wouldn't work as a counter top.

If you're concerned about it holding wight you could always bract underneath better, or run a sheet of plywood under (but then you've got to deal with creating a lip.

I'd say the biggest drawback will simply be the "thinness" of the panel might look a bit off, perhaps.

keep us posted.

Share |
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 14, 10:37 am  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 28,415
My IKEA: Canada-Vancouver:Coquitlam
I've been blogged!

Arosso, that's partly why I'm going with BESTA in my living room - because the tops are finished.

But here are some really nice ways that people have used the kitchen cabinets for the same thing:

DIY Fauxdenza from Ikea Kitchen Cabinets - IKEA Hackers

‘Denza. Done. | Yellow Brick Home

DIY: Fauxdenza from Door Sixteen: Remodelista

Fauxdenza Crendenza! | Chris Loves Julia

Share |
feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 14, 3:23 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 6,949
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina

Ducay - I think the thinness wouldn't be an issue. If I put cover panels on both ends and on top I would think it would give it a nice even look. I am actually trying to make the cabinets look like they aren't really for the kitchen so a thin counter top might actually help.

I guess for extra support I could try to run a few extra 'beams' in the cabinet. They would have to be flush with the top of the cabinet so that I don't have to somehow create a lip like you said, especially if I'm using the MDF styles (which I think Gnosjo is).

Feisty - Thanks for the good links. It gave me some other ideas to explore.

My case here is that I'm trying to put cabinets on either side of a fireplace. The space on either side is uneven too (57" on one side about 51" on the other).

I actually like the BESTA system a bit more for this but all the cabinets are basically 24". Since there is no counter, making fillers is a bit tough. Not sure I could pull it off. And on the 57" side it would be too much of a gap. I also don't think cutting the cabinets to size would be easy.

Unless I'm missing something?

Share |
arosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 14, 3:38 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 418
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto

We were contemplating this so we rigged up a "test counter" in the demo'ed bathroom. It actually worked well. It held up to water and actually looked good. Granted, we didn't run the whole length of the bathroom and it was fully supported, so I don't know if the flexing would be a problem, but I'm sure both of those problems are solvable.

Share |
xartle is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
counter , cover panels , gnosjo