Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Apr 30th, 07, 1:24 am   #1
newhome
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
How many inches between island and cabinets?

Hi there!

Just wondering how much space is really needed between an island and cabinets. The ikea home planner is telling me 48", but I don't know if I have the space. Does anyone out there have less then 48" between there cabinets and island, if so, how is it working for you? Do you have enough space to work, open doors,etc?

Thanks
Tara

Share |

newhome is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Apr 30th, 07, 7:36 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 6,125
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 15

Re: How many inches between island and cabinets?

I've had cases where only 36" were available - it works, but can pose a problem if there are two people working in the kitchen at the same time.
Generally I recommend at least 42"

Share |
Old Apr 30th, 07, 9:18 am  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,680
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

Yep, torrus is right on. Also take into consideration any doors or drawers that need to open across from each other.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 07, 6:01 pm  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-West Sacramento
Doorstyle: STAT White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I have 45 inches on one side of my peninsula and 46 on the other side. Everything opens/clears fine, and I have doors, drawers and a range all around the space.

hth !
Kristine

Share |
momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 07, 6:44 pm  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!

I'll join the fray- 48" is what to shoot for, but you can work in 36-48" pretty well. My neighbor just did her kitchen, and the first thing we did after telling her how wonderful it looked (and it really really did- we use her for a shot in the arm when nothing seems to be happening on ours!) was ask to use her measuring tape! She had 38 or so on a side with her diswasher and 46 with her oven and fridge vs an island- it all felt very roomy, no issues.

We're trying our best to keep it to 48," but I'm not stressing because I know it will be fine if slightly less.

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 07, 10:17 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 150

our island is 36 inches away from the cabinets on 2 sides - seat side of the island it is 45 inches. bigger would be a little better but not possible in our space. we don't have any issues with opening doors or drawers. in fact it works that the dishwasher is open and the drawer where we keep the plates open on the island at the same time - it makes for pretty easy unloading

brett

Share |
breed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 07, 4:43 pm  
IKEA FAN

Gallery: 4
My IKEA: USA-Dallas:Frisco

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 

My current house has 42" of space between island and cabinet run and is fine. I'd not go any lower than 42" if possible....but in a pinch 36" would suffice at the absolute minimum. Somewhere around 48" is indeed the sweet spot. I think if you land somewhere between 42" and 48" you'll be fine with it.

B.S.

Share |
B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 07, 6:51 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 94,020
Gallery: 77
My IKEA: Canada-Vancouver:Coquitlam
Doorstyle: Tidaholm, Abstrakt Red, Abstrakt White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!

Not that it is an option for you here, but what ever you do, don't go over 48." I have that in my current kitchen and it doesn't work. When I put in my new kitchen, I'll be making it 48 at the most.

My sister's kitchen could only fit 36 and she thinks it works great! Some people actually prefer a small amount especially when they are the lone cook. In her case, we added a snack centre and clean up area on the other side of the island so the kids wouldn't be underfoot in the main cooking area.

Share |
zeuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 07, 7:01 pm  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,701
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

i really like 36, but have to take that from counter top edge to counter top tip, that makes for about 39" between cabinets. i won't go over 42" i just don't like it (with the 42" being from the farthest point like a fridge...)

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 07, 9:11 pm  
IKEA FAN

Gallery: 4
My IKEA: USA-Dallas:Frisco

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 

Agree with Zeuss here. Don't go over 48" it gets too far and you lose functional convenience.

B.S.

Share |
B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
island