Old May 7th, 07, 10:00 pm   #1
zeuss
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 94,020
Gallery: 77
My IKEA: Canada-Vancouver:Coquitlam
Doorstyle: Tidaholm, Abstrakt Red, Abstrakt White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!
Silverware inserts?

Has anyone heard of a source for the non-tarnish velvety lined drawer inserts? I remember seeing something like this in a butlers pantry of a high end show home. There must be some after market insert out there.

I'm tired of trying to find a place for the old silverchest with Grandma's silver in it. I use it several times year, so I want it somewhat handy, but the box is a pain. It would be nice to dedicate a drawer to storing the real silver silverware and the china in built in an Ikea cabinet hutch type thingy.

Thanks

Share |

zeuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old May 7th, 07, 10:05 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 14,005
Gallery: 127
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 8

Re: Silverware inserts?

I'm not sure where you would get such a thing, but what you're looking for is Pacific Cloth. Good luck! Let us know what you find - I've often thought about the same thing myself...especially now with the 12" deep drawers I could put some in my hutch!

Susan

Share |
Old May 7th, 07, 10:16 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 409
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Doorstyle: Tidaholm

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

Zeus,
The trick is to prevent the tarnish, you must protect the silver from air pollutants. You can buy anti-tarnish strips but for them to be effective, they must be with the silver in an air tight enclosure:
Q. How do I use them?
A. Simply put 3M Anti-Tarnish strips in a well-sealed enclosure with tarnish-free metal items. The more air-tight the enclosure, the longer the strips will remain effective. The enclosure can be a china cabinet, silverware chest, drawer, jewelry box, plastic or cloth storage bag, safe-deposit box, toolbox or other container.
The Silver Flatware Storage Rolls work pretty good and put the flatware into smaller bundles that can be more easily stored. I've got some that are probably 50 or more years old with some antique silver in them that still look good though I have not polished (or used it) in at least 30 years.

Share |
woodswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 07, 10:18 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

I've been blogged!

The search isn't going well. It turns out that there are sources of exactly what I want, but you have to buy quanitity. Here is the link:
Cabinet Accessories Unlimited - Drawer Inserts:Silverware Drawer Kit

I found a few custom cabinet and furniture makers who provide an anti-tarnish silverware drawer as an option.

The closest aftermarket is this:

I think 2 might fit side-by-side in a 24" drawer.

Spacious enough to hold 120 pieces of sterling or silverplated flatware (measures 19" x 12" x 2-1/2")

Silverware Protector - Tarnish-proof Zippered Flatware Organizer - Drawer Liner

Share |
Old May 7th, 07, 10:32 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

Zeus,
That is a cool storage thing! I've never seen one of those before (of course I wasn't looking )

Amazon has them: Zippered Silver Storage Drawer Liner

Share |
Old May 7th, 07, 10:37 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodswell View Post

The Silver Flatware Storage Rolls work pretty good and put the flatware into smaller bundles that can be more easily stored.
The rolls look OK, but they don't seem like they would be easy to access and set the table quickly. I do use my silver, so I was hoping for a silverdrawer that was kindof like the inside of the silverchest.

The zippered bags look like a good option - 1 zip and there is all is!

Share |
Old May 7th, 07, 10:41 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 14,005
Gallery: 127
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 8

You won't be able to fit 2 in a 24" drawer, though. The interior of a 24" cabinet is only 22.5", plus the drawer boxes are set in a bit to account for the glides/sides of the boxes - say another 1/2" either side, plus the sides slope down, so you don't get a true 90 degree angle at the bottom. I don't have a 24" to measure, but I would guess you're looking at about 21" on the botoom of a 24" drawer box .

Those do look cool - I hate the rolls we have - it's part of the reason I don't get my silver out more often. I have to remember which roll has the pickle fork...pain in the yahoo.

Susan

Share |
Old May 7th, 07, 10:47 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

Here is another possibility:
Flatware Organizer Case with Cloth Dividers
Size: 11 1/2"tall x 11 3/4"wide x 5 1/2"deep

You could store a place setting in each divider and pull out however many you need. Not as convenient as the zipper case, but still pretty good.

Share |
Old May 7th, 07, 10:47 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

The October Company has what I want, but no prices or ordering info. I have a feeling this is for furniture manufacturers to order in bulk for their products.

The October Company : 1-800-628-9346 : Furniture Components : Dining Room

Protect against tarnish with this special insert completely covered with your choice of Pacific Silvercloth® or Guardian Cloth®. A protective flap covers and protects silver. Slotted blocks hold knives, forks and spoons.

Custom sizes available.

Share |
Old May 4th, 08, 3:13 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Elizabeth
Smile Re: Silverware inserts?

I am not sure if this inquiry is still relevant, but I recently found these stuff on a website, couldn't remember its name only after a quick googling. Finally I got it, just follow the link.

October Guardian Cloth® Silver Drawer Insert, appears to be very similar to the above mentioned items from The October Company.

Cheers.

Share |
shvemel is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment