Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 25th, 07, 10:34 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 70
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Costa Mesa
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

Re: How much did you spend on your Ikea kitchen?

If you're brave you can try to make a concrete countertop. Heavy, but cheap.

Share |
climber_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 07, 10:57 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 7

Thank you Everyone!!

Our kitchen is small, probably 10 x 10 feet. I would love to knock down the wall between our kitchen and dining room, but that just seems like a lot of work and extra messy. Our kitchen right now is horrible! The people we bought the house from built the cabinets themselves. They are very poorly organized, cabinet doors don't close well, and unless you push the drawers all the way back in they swing back out with a nice loud "thump". On top of all that they are ugly! Thankfully the house came with a very nice oven and refrigerator, practically brand new.

We don't have time to do much ourselves. We have a three year old and a one year old, yikes! My father is excellent at all home improvement type things but he has very little time to spend on his daughter, he prefers to work on improving his boat

It does sound like even with hiring everything out a new Ikea kitchen is in our budget. It doesn't have to be top of the line, even the cheapest they have is 10x better than ours!

I am getting a new computer next week and will start working on the planner. I tried on this one and it totally froze!

Thanks,

Amy

Share |
anmns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 07, 11:27 pm  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,701
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

finding a babysitter is cheaper than hiring a contractor if you're up for the challenge of diy
btw , i did my whole (9x14ish) kitchen alone (as in, just me) while my kids were 2 & 4... that included all demo, laying the bamboo hardwood floors (kitchen, nook and family room), taking the ceiling up 6" (taking down the framing that was there and installing new drywall up there--ok, had a little, not much, help holding drywall) and installing the cabinets and finish work... did my own plumbing (didn't change location) and hired out some of the electric.

when i'm working, i work like a dog though... and i didn't want to go long without a kitchen sink (we went 4 days, my marriage wouldn't have lasted past that ) I don't recommend it to everyone, but it is possible with some creative thinking and scheduling... anything you can do yourself will cut down your costs.

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 07, 8:15 pm  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!

I just have a terrible time getting over paying for other people's time! I rarely hire out anything- babysitting, house cleaning, gardening, heck I even have a clothes steamer and a lot of dryel! This does not extend to the electrical trade or complex construction, however. I just really like to spend money on durable goods.

That said if DIY is not for you and yours, IKEA is still an awesome idea!

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 07, 9:36 pm  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 1,738
Gallery: 51
My IKEA: USA-New Haven
Doorstyle: Adel Medium Brown

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

I've been blogged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybmw View Post
I rarely hire out anything- babysitting, house cleaning,
You are dead to me

I have a hot, young, energetic babysitter and an older, not so hot, still energetic house cleaner -- both completely worth every dime I pay them and then some.

Share |
jgsearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 07, 11:20 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 398
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

We're mid-project so I don't have anywhere near final numbers yet. . . .

Our STAT (one of the cheapest styles) cabinets, a single apron front domsjo sink and the thicker of the butcher block countertops came to just under $2000. (my plan is on here in a thread somewhere, although I deleted one cabinet--we ended up with 8 cabinets.) Delivery from the store is $149. Assembly is $30 per cabinet through the IKEA Woodbrige store.

We are paying a carpenter $50 an hour plus materials for demo, drywalling, laying our cork flooring and installing our cabinets. So far we've paid him about $3500 and he's taken the walls and ceiling down to studs, rebuild some of the studs, removed a wall, stripped three to fours layers of flooring off and repaired the subfloor. I really don't know how much it will be to put it all back together again. Probably more than to demo. . . .

(We had a lot of demo because we wanted soffits and a wall down, then the electrician said the wiring was such a mess it just should be redone--we agreed--and the electician and carpenter advised that it would be cheaper in the end to rip the ceiling out--electrician's time is a lot pricier than carpenters and there was going to be a lot of patching on the ceiling. . . .)

We are also spending a small fortune to have the wiring totally redone as it was quite a mess once we opened up the walls. I think the electrical work will end up around $3,700 plus fixtures. (6 recessed cans provided by electrician with 6 LED inserts at around $800 --enviro friendly yada, yada, 2 pendants from Pottery Barn around $200 and one flushmount ceiling fixture around $51.)

We also have a plumber and he'll have to do a bit of work (there was some random pipe under the old cabinets that has to be capped off properly), but I think that'll be under $200.

IKEA Woodbridge 's price sheet says,
$75 for home measurement
$75 to confirm customers plan
$150 for planning service
$30/cabinet for assembly service
$99/cabinet for basic installation
$70/lineal foot for demolition of cabinets
$40/appliance for removal of appliances
$25/linear foot for countertop installation
$500 to install 4 appliances
custom work at a price to be determined after site visit

Hope that helps a bit with pricing,