Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jun 24th, 07, 9:15 pm   #1
anmns
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 7
How much did you spend on your Ikea kitchen?

I am new here, and I know it is rude to ask about how much things cost, but hey...it's the internet! We just bought a new house and desperately need to redo our kitchen. I love the Ikea kitchens, but we are on a really tight budget and can't install it ourselves.

Would anyone be willing to share what you actually spent on your Ikea kitchen? Also, let me know if that price includes appliances, installation, etc.

We have a somewhat small kitchen and would like to have all new cabinets/countertops installed proffessionally for around $12,000. Think it is possible???

Thanks!

Amy

Share |

anmns is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 24th, 07, 9:29 pm  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,801
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Re: How much did you spend on your Ikea kitchen?

what is a somewhat small kitchen?

the biggest cost at ikea is the doors, it's also the best way to play with your budget.

i don't remember what i spent on my kitchen, never got around to the actual tally and i had a lot of returns as well ($800 one time, but turned around and spent $900)

i would hate to just throw #s out and not be in the ballpark...you're also going to want to tell us where you are, costs to install vary greatly (as do countertops etc) depending....

That said, welcome to the fray, and congratulations on your new home!!! (and it's not rude at all to ask what others have paid, we're pretty free with information )

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 07, 9:30 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 17,440
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Doorstyle: Avsikt/Kalsebo

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!

Since every kitchen is different, it's hard to truly say how much. If you have a layout, even the existing kitchen, that would at least be a place for us to start.

That said, I can say I'm on the low end of the figure at what should be about $1500 for cabinets/countertops/flooring for roughly a 13x16 kitchen/nook with a penisula, but that's also because we'll be DIY and at least 70+% of the stuff came from AS-IS.

Share |
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 07, 1:30 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 94,020
Gallery: 77
My IKEA: Canada-Vancouver:Coquitlam
Doorstyle: Tidaholm, Abstrakt Red, Abstrakt White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!

We really need an idea of how big your space is. Do you have the dimensions in the Ikea Planner, yet?

My sister spent over $10,000 on the cabinets (Can. dollars) but she has a big kitchen with a high end cabinet door style with every accessory inside she could fit. But there are lots of ways to cut down on the costs.

BTW Don't sell yourself short on the installation - the cabinets are really super easy to to assemble even if you have to get someone to install them. That could save some $'s.

Share |
zeuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 07, 6:53 am  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 1,933
Gallery: 51
My IKEA: USA-New Haven
Doorstyle: Adel Medium Brown

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

I've been blogged!

Here's the breakdown of our kitchen costs.

We demoed a wall between the kitchen and a small study. We wanted a door to the patio. We moved radiators, gas lines, water lines. Because the ceiling heights between the two rooms were different we added ceiling to one room and had to drywall the ceiling and the area where the two rooms met (an unexpected expense) We bought all new appliances and added new flooring to what was the old kitchen. We used Adel MB and our kitchen size is about 277 sf (roughly 25'2" x 11") We pretty much did nothing ourselves besides assembling the cabinets (while watching the World Cup - they're super easy to assemble), painting and the backsplash.

Total: $22,129

Appliances (dishwasher, stove, refrigerator, microhood and sink) - $4729

Flooring (my BIL owns a flooring store so we got some breaks but this was to add new hardwoods in the kitchen area, feather them in so you couldn't see a transition, sanded and 3 coats of poly) - $1100

Drywalling - $1000

Cabinets - $4800

Countertop (Formica Limestone in honed finish) - $1000

Backsplash - $500 (tiles only, we installed them ourselves)

Contractor - $7500 + $1500 (supplies) He did demo, plumbing, electrical, installed the cabinets, removed window from kitchen, added door to patio, built small deck and stairs from kitchen to patio, moved the gas lines

The job took 8 weeks including some delays where the floor guys were numnuts (1 extra week) and weren't there when they were supposed to be which caused delays in everything else while we waited to get the floors done. Also the drywall guy was a no show a lot and that caused a delay (1 extra week). And our contractor, while methodical and a nice guy, not so much into working beyond 3:30/4:00.

There are other odds and ends but I didn't keep enough receipts to have those. Also, there are things that we've bought since we completed the kitchen that I haven't bothered to add to the tally. Things like interior fittings to drawers and cabinets - that sort of thing.

Share |
jgsearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 07, 9:10 am  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!

Unless you have a massive kitchen, IKEA cabinets aren't going to be the budget-breaker- it's the countertop, appliances and tile/backsplash.

Here's how to keep it under control:
  • keep all the water, gas, electric where it is
  • re-use appliances
  • if you need new appliances, go to clearance centers
  • be happy with laminate countertops (they're quite nice)
  • choose decorative elements you can install yourself, like tile floors, backsplashes and paint
  • leave all the windows, doors and other structural elements alone

Lastly and most important- only hire out what you TRULY can't do yourself. Tearing out a kitchen requires very little skill, so long as you stay out of the walls. A far as strength, smaller and slower is the answer to anything you can't "manhandle." Building and installing IKEA cabinets is very easy. Cutting and installing laminate countertops are pretty easy too, but if you don't have experience with cutting anything, hire it out. Gas lines, actual electrical (eg more than swapping out fixtures) and structural elements are where I draw the line.

It's about trade offs- you can spend your money on labor or on goods. The more you do yourself, the more you can spend on the stuff that makes your kitchen yours- a special tile, a better appliance...

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 07, 9:29 am  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,801
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

to tack onto Kelly's countertop solution, i also really like the butcher block counters and find that they give off a feel of much more expensive than they are (if you buy them at ikea ) plus they are easy to work with, they're wood!

if you're lucky enough to live in an area where prefab granite is available, it can be a really good solution without the cost normally associated with granite.

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 07, 11:11 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 90
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Doorstyle: Akurum - Abstrakt White

My rough breakdown for our 11x18 foot kitchen:

Bamboo flooring - $500

IKEA cabinets (Abstrakt) and sink (double Domsjo) - $3700

Appliances - $4000

Countertop (IKEA oak numerar) - $500

Lighting - $300

Faucet - $200

Other stuff (paint, trim, etc.) - $300

We planned for about 7-8000 dollars, so we're not terribly overbudget (yet!).

Share |
Q Brizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 07, 9:31 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 210
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Doorstyle: Adel MB

We purchased Adel MB this past April during their 10% rebate sale...and here's how it went:

About $7,200 for cabinets, doors, pulls (22 pairs of them), one IKEA fridge, one IKEA range hood, 2 prefab 6' IKEA countertops, one massive and cool IKEA sink faucet/sprayer thingamabob and last but certainly not least...about $4800 of quartz countertop.

Add to the $12,000....a new dishwasher, range, microwave, disposal and undermount sink for about $2200.

Total so far (we're not quite done with the parts here and there) is about $14,200.

We got a healthy rebate (about $1200) from the sale which we'll use for lighting, window treatments, racks, shelves, and chairs/stools. Kinda like getting those for free.

Oh yeah, the biggie: we are doing most of the install ourselves. Demo'ing was actually a lot of fun with a couple of friends, a sledgehammer and a large dumpster in the driveway (that was $300).

Dunno if I forgot anything else. It's really shaping up to be gorgeous, though. Good luck with yours. IKEA really does a cool kitchen.

Share |
SoCentralRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 07, 9:53 pm  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!

Now that's an endorsement, and right on the money with quartz countertops!

I'm tell'n ya, rip that sucker out yourselves! I took a week off work to kickstart the process and it was totally worth it. Two total days of hardcore demo, with lots of kitchen shopping!

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
abstrakt , akurum , faktum