Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Mar 6th, 06, 2:06 pm   #1
Debbie555
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 90
Gallery: 0
As I stated before, I am installing a kitchen in my basement. I am dealing with a low ceiling height. How much clearance is required between the countertop and upper cabinets? I ready somewhere that it is between 15 and 18 inches. A friend told me it cannot be less than 18. Appreciate any replies.

Share |

Debbie555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 6th, 06, 2:24 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 110
My IKEA: USA-New York:Paramus
Debbie, you should check local code just to be sure in case there are limitations in your area, but the current line of thinking in "smart home design" is to put the upper cabinets at 16" above the countertops. 18" was the old standard, but lower uppers are considered more ergonomics-friendly. (Remember to take into account the light rail, if you're using one.)

Or you can split the difference and put them at the 17" mark, of course.

Have you considered the horizontal upper cabs? If you've got a really tight vertical squeeze, you might be able to get more storage space in there with them.

Share |
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 06, 3:34 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,740
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
If you are planning on putting a blender, mixer, or other tall appliance into that space, go with 18 inches from countertop to bottom of light rail.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 06, 4:00 pm  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 1,721
Gallery: 10
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:College Park
Doorstyle: white painted tidaholm
I just looked on the KitchenAid website and their stand mixer - the Artisan, is 13 29/32 in high, the Accolade is 14 in. - those are both tilt-head stand mixers. But the bowl-lift style is taller - 16 1/2 in. for Professional 5â„¢ Plus Series and 16 1/2 in. for the Professional 600 Series. Those are all shorter than I would have anticipated.

Share |
Old Mar 6th, 06, 8:55 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 6,282
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 15

If you are concerned about clearance, consider 24" high wall cabinets - they are available in 24, 30 and 36" widths.

Share |
Old Mar 7th, 06, 6:32 am  
IKEA FAN

Thank you! You are all so awesome for taking the time to answer my questions.

I didn't know ikea made the 24 inch cabs and I do have my heart set on Ikea. I would prefer the 30 inch though for more storage in a small kitchen. Is the 16 inch doable with a kitchenaid stand mixer? I hadn't even thought of that. I went and measured mine (mother in law has the same) and it is 14". I didn't know about the horizontal cabinets either, so will have to check them out. I am going to have one problem, maybe someone here will have a solution. We are putting in a corner sink, the plumbing is already done and hubby will have a fit if I change my mind again. There is no way to do the 25x30 diagonal corner now. Even if the 30 inch will fit, I know there must be more clearance above the sink. Anyone have any ideas for this space? You all are so nice, thanks!

Share |
Old Mar 7th, 06, 7:44 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 13,550
Gallery: 10
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Elizabeth
Doorstyle: Fagerland

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Maybe just open shelving above the sink? You could also use the 30" for most of the area and put a horizontal cabinet above where you would keep your kitchenaid, to give it more room. Or....a tall pantry cabinet with the kitchenaid living inside behind one of the doors?

Share |
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 06, 7:59 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 14,005
Gallery: 127
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 8

Keep in mind that 14" is the height of the stand mixer standing. When you want to tip the head back, you'll have to pull it forward on the counter (you probably do anyway). Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Susan

Share |
Old Mar 7th, 06, 8:27 am  
IKEA addict

Doorstyle: Applad/Stat
anna wrote:
Quote:
...the current line of thinking in "smart home design" is to put the upper cabinets at 16" above the countertops. 18" was the old standard, but lower uppers are considered more ergonomics-friendly. (Remember to take into account the light rail, if you're using one.)...
Anna, I want to make sure I understand: if one is going to put lights under the wall cabinets, and then hide them behind a light rail, the 16" is measured from the counter to the bottom of the light rail, not the cabinets?

I am glad to have seen this, because I was planning based on the 19" height I now have, even though I find it a bit high.

Thanks
Martine

Share |
ourmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 06, 8:42 am  
IKEA FAN

Gardenweb, Yes I actually did think of this LOL . I usually do pull mine out to use it (not often!) and I'm sure she does too.

Any ideas for corner shelving? I like the idea, but looked at the Akurum horizontal wall cabinet frame, it has a glass shelf. Size is perfect, 30L x 15H, very nice, except to do two of them in a corner wouldn't look right since they are closed on both sides. Please excuse me if my questions sound dumb, I have never ever done this before. Also, my husband is ready for the kitchen and bugging me to make up my mind already..LOL.

Maybe I should add, I am planning to use either the Stat white or Nexus Birch, haven't decided yet.

Share |

Comment

Tags
akurum , kitchenaid