Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jul 20th, 07, 7:29 am   #1
pipsqueak
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
How to secure cabinets to floor for use as an island?

We have purchased Akurum cabinets for use in our kitchen remodel, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions about how I could secure them
to the floor to prevent movement as I am using 4 of them to make an island.

Share |

pipsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jul 20th, 07, 8:44 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 15,208
Gallery: 102

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Re: How to secure cabinets to floor for use as an island?

Hello pipsqueak, and welcome to IKEAfans!

Depending on your countertop material and how large the cabinets are, they may be unlikely to move anyway, but there are several ways to attach them to the floor, one is a simple frame made of 2x4's, harder to level than the legs, but easier to attach to the floor. At the bottom of this page, there are "similar threads" with several ideas on how others have done this. There's another thread that recently talked about this: Tell me about how you built your island

I hope that helps. I'm interested in hearing more about your kitchen.
Gloria

Share |
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 10, 5:07 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 584
Gallery: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Hello pipsqueak, and welcome to IKEAfans!

Depending on your countertop material and how large the cabinets are, they may be unlikely to move anyway, but there are several ways to attach them to the floor, one is a simple frame made of 2x4's, harder to level than the legs, but easier to attach to the floor. At the bottom of this page, there are "similar threads" with several ideas on how others have done this. There's another thread that recently talked about this: Tell me about how you built your island

I hope that helps. I'm interested in hearing more about your kitchen.
Gloria
thats what we did..

Share |
tydougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 10, 12:32 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 2,305
Gallery: 4

Much to my dismay, my husband insisted on doing a couple of 2x4 strips under our cabinets - one for each as we knew the countertop and the tie-in of all cabinets would pretty much prevent the whole thing from moving. But he was concerned about a nephew or someone hanging from the countertop and pulling it all over. (He agreed that would never happen but I had to agree it wouldn't be worth the risk!)

He stacked the wood to the proper height for under the cabinets and then *NAILED THEM IN* to our brand new wood floor! (That was the dismay part - the entire project I kept saying, "I want someone to be able to rip this all out easily and do a new design if they want to.")

It's very sturdy and he just ran a few screws through the bottom of each cabinet into the 2x4 stack. (We have drawers there so it didn't impact an actual "shelf" for us by doing this.)

Good luck with your kitchen!

Share |
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
akurum , island