Register to remove these ads today!

Old May 19th, 10, 9:00 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 29,799
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch
Re: opinions on MANSTAD sofa bed

I've been salivating over the MANSTAD also... but I've been holding out for the interchangable unit.

I think interchangable covers will be much easier to make/find if the sofa is more modular. But if you take the plunge before the new unit comes out (I'm concerned it might come with a price hike, but who knows - maybe IKEA will be kind)...

EDDIE ROSS - Before & After - An IKEA Sofa Makeover

I priced out the required pieces a while ago, I think it came out around $150 for everything.

Share |
wruwtrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 11, 11:01 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 685

1. Is the manstad comfortable as a bed?

Do you end up using an extra foam mattress etc on top?

I'd use this daily if I got it.

2. Also - How do you put sheets on it? Is there space around the cushions to allow you to do this?

3. Do the mechanical parts break after 1 year? 2 years? ...

4. Did you find any decent cover for it?

Thanks in advance.

Share |
PvtJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 11, 2:11 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160
My IKEA: United Kingdom-London:Brent Park

Hi everyone, first post. I've lived with a Manstad for a few months now, so thought I'd add my opinion. I live in a studio flat during the week, so I sleep on it 3-4 nights/week. It's had little use as a sofa.

Good points:

Size! The longest sofa bed I've ever seen - I'm 6'4" and I can stretch right out.

Looks good in blue and doesn't show the dirt

Easy to convert to bed and great storage

Feels strong and well built

BUT...

Bad points:

It's cheap and it shows. Non-removable covers are a start, but I knew about that when I bought it.

More crucially, is the comfort. When in bed mode, the sleeping area is made up of 3 different cushions. After 3 months use, all cushions now feel completely different. The cushion above the storage unit is still firm and supportive, but the main sofa cushion has gone very soft. The pull-out cushion is somewhere between the two. This wouldn't be a huge problem, but when lying on the bed, you can clearly feel the wooden supports between the cushions. I'm using a 3" memory foam topper which hides it enough to make it bearable, but without it, it would be terrible.

The wooden supports are also a problem when in sofa mode - you have to be careful where you sit. Above the storage unit is fine, but the main sofa cushion is so un-supportive it is not comfortable to relax on for any length of time. Sit between the two, and it's like sitting on a narrow plank of wood.

I've disassembled and reassembled the sofa to check I'd put it together properly, and I had.

Overall, it's cheap, so I wasn't expecting perfection. But I was impressed by it's good looks, comfort, and functionality in the shop, and there was a lack of reviews on the web to check that it lived up to that. Maybe it's intended as a very occasional sofa bed, not for regular use, but that should be made clear.

I'm so disappointed, because I love the idea and the design. It's just been let down by the quality of the cushions. Of course, if no one else has this problem, maybe I had a faulty model - I hope so! I am now looking to see if I can get a refund on the basis that it is unusable.

Share |
stan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 11, 7:01 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 192,323
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: Cyprus-Verginas
I've been blogged!

Hi

There aren't many sofa beds that are designed for permanent use. They are really sofas that can be used occasionally for sleeping.

The Manstad isn't a cheap sofa. It is one of the better sofa beds I have come across and I would happily have one in my house.

The new design is out now, the difference being now that you can have the chaise on either end. The rest of it is still the same though.

Share |
bigredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 11, 11:57 pm  
IKEA FAN

Thank you stan1 for an honest account of the manstad.
Like many ikea products , the idea is better than the execution.
Regarding options, the best sofabeds are made by American Leather and cost approximately 3000, so anything cheaper 'and' functional would be worth it.

Sounds like manstad's biggest issue is the foam 'padding'. Perhaps they are saving $ here by putting in cheap stuff.

Has anyone bothered/considered switching out the foam? It might not be worth the cost - just an idea.

I'd love to get the manstad, but I can't if stan1's experience is typical, which I believe it is.

To bigredbird: The manstad IS a very cheap sofa. Its not even a grand, please..

Share |

Last edited by PvtJoker; May 19th, 11 at 12:01 am..
Old May 19th, 11, 12:12 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

I've been blogged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtJoker View Post
The manstad IS a very cheap sofa. Its not even a grand, please..
Not in IKEA terms it isn't; there are plenty of cheaper ones.

I have built many dozens of these over the years and have always found them to be a good piece of furniture, but you have to accept only occasional use as a bed.

If you are put off because the Manstad is good value, maybe IKEA isn't for you.

Share |
Old May 19th, 11, 12:17 am  
IKEA FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredbird View Post
If you are put off because the Manstad is good value, maybe IKEA isn't for you.
How is the manstad 'good value' if its not usable after only 3 months?

You're obviously staff if you've built many of these over the years.

It would be good value if it was functional. I guess its a good value if you don't actually intend to use it at all.

Share |
Old May 19th, 11, 12:24 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

I've been blogged!

Nope, I'm not IKEA staff. I am an independent contractor assembling furniture and kitchens for IKEA.

The Manstad is usable after three months if you use it for the purpose it was intended for, as I have said above.

You have clearly made your mind up and are only interested in negative comments, so I'm out of here................

Share |
Old May 19th, 11, 12:34 am  
IKEA FAN

I'm only interested in good value, not a 3 month sofa.

Share |
Old May 29th, 11, 10:10 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 149
My IKEA: USA-New York:Brooklyn

I've owned the Manstad for a year and it's probably been slept on for half that time by 180 pound, 6' roommate. Unfortunately, though its kept its shape by day, upon waking i noticed i was sleepimg in a valley.

I'm speaking of the unconverted long side of the L shape... that piece bows in the middle now.

looks fine by day, and heck, i still get a good sleep on it, but be prepared for curious guests when they awaken in the morning.

Share |
Cowspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment