Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Dec 16th, 09, 1:26 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,322
Gallery: 0
Re: What's the deal with Ikea Direct shipping???

I was aware that the prior post was by you. I however, was still addressing RoYY.

Thank you for you "guess-tamation" into why IKEA's shipping charges are out of line. However, don't you think almost all companies buy in bulk and have the same concerns as IKEA? Let's go with Walmart for instance. They are the kings in buying in bulk and pushing around suppliers...(don't want to argue the good or bad of that..it would take too long)..They however, still can ship stuff without the consumer paying huge prices. Walmart.com, makes big big money for the Walmart Corporation. They use a variety of shippers for their products as well.

I still contend that IKEA has not investigated this well enough and is loosing a substantial potential market. I don't know if IKEA is traded in the market..but if they are stock holders should be unhappy.

It's funny actually, because if they explored other options as I've suggested, IKEA could be brought to millions more people. I would think as IKEAFANS..you would champion this idea.

Share |
desb782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 09, 6:34 pm  
IKEA FAN

While I have your ear NBETH..maybe you could answer a question I have about this website. The following was posted in the karma section

Weekly points leaders! These are the top point earners for last week. Remember that the top point earner each week is automatically entered in the drawing for the gift card at the end of the Summer of Fun contest! Stats for week ending Dec 15th, 09. Congratulations to quiltmaster, who earned 3,462 credits last week!

...and so my question is this..what gift card are they talking about..who pays for this gift card...and if this is a collection of IKEA Fans..then why the offer of a gift card...What exactly are these Karma points and how are they awarded. Inquiring minds want to know. Thank you.

Share |
Old Dec 16th, 09, 6:36 pm  
IKEA FAN

While I have your ear NBETH..maybe you could answer a question I have about this website. The following was posted in the karma section.

Weekly points leaders! These are the top point earners for last week. Remember that the top point earner each week is automatically entered in the drawing for the gift card at the end of the Summer of Fun contest! Stats for week ending Dec 15th, 09. Congratulations to quiltmaster, who earned 3,462 credits last week!

...and so my question is this..what gift card are they talking about..who pays for this gift card...and if this is a collection of IKEA Fans whose only goal is to promote their much loved IKEA..then why the offer of a gift card...What exactly are these Karma points and how are they awarded. Inquiring minds want to know. Thank you.

Excuse my posting this twice..I replied to my own at the end..sorry

Share |
Old Dec 16th, 09, 7:35 pm  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,801
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

clarifying one point, it's an important one to me: if a co-worker is a member here, the title "co-worker" will appear under their name (if we've missed some, let Susan know, we like to highlight them. Roy is new, so likely hasn't "met" the administrators of the site). If we have 30 co-workers out of the 125,000 members I'd be surprised.

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 09, 8:12 pm  
IKEA FAN

well then..perhaps you can answer my question regarding the Karma points. Thank you

Share |
Old Dec 16th, 09, 8:20 pm  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,801
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

i don't have the time to read through this entire thread right now, so i don't know what question you're asking about. I stick to mainly installation and assembly or modifications. But if you start a new thread to ask that question one of the mods/mentors might answer it OR do a search, i know it's been answered before.

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 09, 8:27 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 15,158
Gallery: 102

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by desb782 View Post
It's funny actually, because if they explored other options as I've suggested, IKEA could be brought to millions more people. I would think as IKEAFANS..you would champion this idea.
I'm an IKEAFan and I surely would love IKEA to pay attention to the online/mailorder market. I'm 5+ hours from the nearest IKEA and have experienced the same shipping sticker shock asking about getting some Billys shipped.

How do you think we as potential customers can bend corporate's ear and convince them to serve us?

Gloria, who doesn't know the answer to the iKarma question even though she's a moderator.

Share |
Old Dec 16th, 09, 8:55 pm  
IKEA FAN

Well Gloria, I would think that IKEA would have to abandon their thoughts about the way they've always done things. For the brick and mortar stores they are apparently doing well..but to do online marketing they have forge new alliances with shipping companies and the like. They would have to advertise and push for a place in the online market. They would have to supply in large numbers to make their profit...but I really think they could do it. I think that the USA is a largely untapped resource for IKEA , one that could bring them billions if done right. I've looked at their product and think that it appeals to a large majority of shoppers..those on a budget..which most of America is. Even in this economy, I think they would do well....because they are reasonable priced for a better than average product.

Some things would require a little more doing..like their kitchens. That may require a trip to the store..or maybe not depending on how innovative they can be.

There is no way to prod IKEA along..I'm not sure why they are so hesitant. Most of their products are very conducive to online sales.

I live about 45 minutes from one..I thought that was far..I guess I was wrong. 5 hours..holy cow..they'd never see me!! LOL

Share |
Old Dec 16th, 09, 8:57 pm  
IKEA FAN

Years ago most store avoided the rural areas of the USA ..look what Walmart did with that market. Say what you want about Walmart but Sam Walton was a marketing wonder! The other store said there was no money in that market..ya know the ones that are now out of business.

Share |
Old Dec 16th, 09, 9:01 pm  

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!

I might be wrong but don't believe we actually have a current karma points contest, though Ikea did donate some cards for a contest a while back. That's about the most they've ever done for the site, and it's very new for them to do anything whatsoever. They don't actually advertise here, as far as I've noticed, nor contribute to the servers, bandwidth, programming, etc..

Share |
NBeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment