Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Mar 22nd, 06, 8:39 pm   #1
aristobrat
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 845
Gallery: 0
Long story short, we have a fridge at the end of a run of cabinets. We put in laminate flooring and now the fridge won't fit back under the 15" "over the fridge" cabinet.

Turns out we let the rail dip 1/8" at the end and never noticed. :shock:Apparently neither did the drywall contractor that built an enclosed box that runs across the top of all of the cabinets, .. so there's no way for me to raise the "over the fridge" cabinet to it's proper height.

I've double-checked that the fridge can't be lowered anymore. I guess I could cut out the laminate from under the fridge, but that'd leave the concrete slab, so if a future owner drops in a smaller fridge, that'd be ugly. Ripping down and redoing the enclosed box would require a contractor (and a fair amount of money).

I was wondering what ya'll thought about shaving 1/8" off the bottom of the cabinet and doors. I have no idea if the material could handle that without blowing into a zillion pieces.

Thanks for any advice/comments!

Share |

aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 22nd, 06, 9:24 pm  
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 84,312
Gallery: 2962
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

Hmmm... Dang, my intial reaction was just to move the cab up higher by loosening the bolts, but obviously that won't work with the box above it. Shaving 1/8" off the bottom would probably be pretty messy, you'd get down to bare particleboard... You might be better off taking the cabinet apart and cutting down the sides and back? Maybe the door could just be adjusted up? I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that some folks HAVE cut down Cabs before... ::ponder::

How about shaving the TOP of the cab so it doesn't show and adjusting the door up?

James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources
Tigratrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 06, 10:12 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 845
The doors are exactly as "tall" as the cabinet, so if I shorten the cabinet, I'll also have to shorten the doors in order for the fridge to fit.

EXCELLENT idea about shaving off of the top (where it won't be seen) vs. the bottom. I'm always amazed at the obvious things I miss sometimes. :shock:

I wasn't sure how hard it would be to shave the top evenly, so I was also thinking about taking the cabinet apart, shortening the two sides evenly (which would result in a less-tall cabinet), and then putting it back together. I'd still have to trim the doors (and the cardboard backing), but I think that might be less messy than shaving 1/8" off the the entire top.

Share |
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 06, 10:22 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 6,304
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 15

It would be easier to shorten the sides and back of the cabinet rather than shave the top - particle board is a terrible substrate when it comes to planing. It is actually quite common to shorten a 24" high fridge cabinet to 18" (since the proper doors exist) - this bridges the gap between the 15" and the 24" cabinets.

Share |
Old Mar 22nd, 06, 10:23 pm  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 50
Doorstyle: Stat
Have you double-checked your fridge manual to see if your fridge needs space around it for air circulation? It may not be the greatest idea to have it wedged tightly under the cabinet (I'm assuming since 1/8" makes the difference between it fitting or not, that it'll be a very tight fit).

Share |
jen_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 06, 6:53 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 70
Gallery: 4
Here's what I would do...

1. Take the over the fridge cabinet down.

2. Measure exactly where the little wheels, legs orwhatever the four points of contact are for the bottom of your fridge.

3. Cut out ONLY a square inch or so of the floor where those points will be when the fridge is pushed in.

3. Push the fridge in until it "drops" into those holes.

4. Reattach the cabinet.

Might not be the easiest or best idea, but it's what I would do. You can save some extra flooring incase the next owner puts in a different fridge.

Share |
hendoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 06, 7:59 pm  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 615
Gallery: 9
I've been blogged!
Part of the joy of remodeling is discovering what crazy stuff the PO did, then drinking a beer, and mocking them.

Not that I did that when I discovered that the PO painted the exposed brick wall in my (old and now demolished) pantry closet.

Cut a gap in the floor and buy the next owners a 6 pack and smile as you sign the documents at closing.

Share |
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 06, 12:12 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 1,213
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Arlig Beech
Do you have "feet" on your fridge? Could they be replaced with shorter feet?

Share |
Apri is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment