Gallery: 4
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Doorstyle: Nexus BB, if the IKEA gods smile upon me

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I've been blogged!
Can you shorten a LACK shelf?

I have a nook I'd like to put LACK shelves into, but the width of the nook would require me to cut the length of the LACK shelves. Is that possible? I know these are hollow core...is it safe to assume that the shelf is held together well enough that if it's missing one of the sides it'll still stay in one piece? Also, how to you cut the metal fitting part?

Thanks!

Share |

ikeafan60657 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jan 6th, 08, 1:43 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 17,440
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Doorstyle: Avsikt/Kalsebo

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!
Re: Can you shorten a LACK shelf?

You can prolly get away with it if you're not going to put anything heavy on it. You can't get any narrower than the center steel ... that's where the shelf's structural support is.

How wide an area anyways? Perhaps some other shelf is in order instead ...

Share |
Please note that all advice, information, and layouts provided by forum members on this site was done on a voluntary basis and out of kindness of their hearts. If you appreciate the help you received, please support this site and donate to keep it going.
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 08, 8:54 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 90
Gallery: 7
My IKEA: USA-Detroit:Canton
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

I think you could shorten it easily enough. Just take note of where the posts go, and try to retain as many post locations as possible. Then, simply cut the bracket (steel) to the same length with respect to position it fits into on the shelf.
In other words, cut the shelf and the bracket at the same places, while trying to keep as many of the posts as possible.
As long as the sides are covered by wall, or something, you will not necessarily need to cap the ends either.

Share |
Old Jan 6th, 08, 2:18 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 17,440
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Doorstyle: Avsikt/Kalsebo

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!

At least on the shorter shelves, there are only 2 supports, so you really can't go any less!

Share |
Please note that all advice, information, and layouts provided by forum members on this site was done on a voluntary basis and out of kindness of their hearts. If you appreciate the help you received, please support this site and donate to keep it going.
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 08, 9:15 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 166
Gallery: 4
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Doorstyle: Nexus BB, if the IKEA gods smile upon me

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Thanks for the replies!

Any idea how far from the ends of the shelves the metal supports start? Thanks again!

Share |
ikeafan60657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 08, 10:12 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 131
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: France-Grenoble

you could cut up the lack board, and insert / glue some piece of wood in the hole. this would restore the box design of the thing

Share |
sxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 08, 2:41 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 388
Gallery: 1
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Carson

LBG Adoptions

ikeafan- Cutting it works fine.

I've done what everyone else here has suggested. In one location where the shelf was in niche i cut the ends and left the ends as is -- the open end with the cardboard honeyboard was stronger than expected and is holding up fine....only seemed to fail in testing when trying to crush it with my hand.

In another location i used the glue blocks cut the fit the gap...this was for a lack shelf where i cut a u-shape into the shelf (fit around the range hood). I used a jigsaw w / good bi-metal blade to cut the stl. support in half and trim it to fit.

re: location of the supports....for the 48" shelf they are a good 12" in from the ends so you have plenty of room to cut the ends off. The tube supports that protrude from the bracket that is. The edge of the bracket is closer to the end, but you can cut a portion of that off to suit your needs.

Share |
kingjosiah is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment