No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Feb 6th, 08, 8:09 am   #1
Wheeler
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 70
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: United Kingdom-London:Edmonton
Adding castors/wheels to Expedit 4x4

Hello there, first time poster after some advice. I've had a bit of a search but can't find a definitive answer to this question. I live in a studio flat and am currently using an Expedit 4x4 bookcase (laden with books) as a divider between the sleeping and living areas of the room. To this end I'd like to attach some castors/wheels to the base of the bookcase so that I can extend either space as the need takes me. I've found some heavy duty castors (swivel mounted with brakes and a 600kg load bearing tolerance between a set of 4 which I think are good enough for my purpose, though I will ideally use 6 rather than 4) which attach via a flat base with 4 M8 sized holes. My query is really whether I can use a screw/bolt of this size with the expedit boards or whether I should mount them to another thick ( ie solid, unlike the expedit) board with the screws/bolts recessed in the top and then attach this to the bottom of the bookcase with glue or further screws.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Share |

Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 6th, 08, 9:08 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 100
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Burbank
Doorstyle: Ädel MB
Re: Adding castors/wheels to Expedit 4x4

Wheeler,

I don't doubt that the casters will support the weight of the expedit (inclduing books/objects) but I would fear for its instability as you roll it around....

Just a thought before you proceed. Good luck!

Cheers

Share |
Old Feb 6th, 08, 9:21 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 70
My IKEA: United Kingdom-London:Edmonton

Thanks Swedishsam, I wasn't so worried about the weight bearing and tipping over as the implications of drilling/screwing into the actual bookcase. I've seen that some people have done it with static legs, but no-one as far as I can see with wheels...

I shall keep on searching!

Share |
Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 08, 2:01 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 224,399
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!

Expedit bookcases are designed, engineered and manufactured to sit flat on the floor. The top, bottom and sides are made of a honeycomb material that isn't designed to hold screws, so it is entirely possible that your casters could rip out of the bottom of your piece.

Also, because of the foot print of the piece, the way it sits on your floor, and how it is loaded, it should be secured to the wall in order to avoid tipping over. I know you said this isn't a concern, but I think you're courting danger.

This is one of those ideas that could be done, but shouldn't.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 08, 9:42 pm  
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 84,312
Gallery: 2962
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

Suggestion?

For a Looooooooooong time movers (as in professionals hired to pack/unpack a moving truck) have used the rug/tarp/towel trick to move heavy furniture around. How about putting the EXPEDIT permanently on top of a rectangular rug and just move it back and forth by moving the rug? That way you aren't changing the center of gravity or really doing *anything* that the EXPEDIT isn't already designed to do? Might be simpler/safer... And even quite a bit easier/cheaper!

James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources
Tigratrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 08, 3:27 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:College Park

I have seen it done.

I was touring a house I was interested in purchasing and the owners had an Expedit- at least I am pretty sure it was- in the basement (4x4) and it had casters attached to it.

They had it filled with books and it was next to wall so that might have alleviated the danger of it toppling over. It looked pretty cool.

Of course I did not try to roll it around or anything. Maybe they emptied it before moving it.

Share |
JackLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 08, 8:53 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 224,399
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!

Look, let's face it - there's lots that can be done when it comes to "modding" IKEA furniture. Heck, with a little creativity, you could install your Expidit so it sits as diamond, rather than a square.

But again, just because you can doesn't mean you should - this is one of those.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 08, 10:56 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160
My IKEA: Denmark-Copenhagen:Tåstrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
..Expedit 4x4 bookcase (laden with books) ..I'd like to attach some castors/wheels to the base ..
I've found some heavy duty castors (swivel mounted with brakes and a 600kg load bearing tolerance between a set of 4 which I think are good enough for my purpose, though I will ideally use 6 rather than 4) which attach via a flat base with 4 M8 sized holes. My query is really whether I can use a screw/bolt of this size with the expedit boards or whether I should mount them to another thick (ie solid, unlike the expedit) board with the screws/bolts recessed in the top and then attach this to the bottom of the bookcase with glue or further screws.

The shelves were not designed to have the load placed one the four corners. Filling a 4x4 Expedit with 90-100 records in each space, will get you to about 200 kilos payload PLUS the weight of the Expedit. This means that any corner you drag onto and any two wheel pushed onto to move the shelf will have to be able to take the load without stressing the Expedit in the process. Difficult. But not impossible.
Books are also dense and perhaps you do not fill it up completely. But perhaps you do not place an even load everywhere.

I would not screw the castors to the Expedit, I'd rest the Expedit onto a dolly that itself can handle the load of the Expedit + books.
You should be able to get a dolly made to the length and width of the Expedit plus whatever you need to grab onto the dolly. This dolly will support the entire flat bottom of the Expedit and by moving the Expedit only by moving the dolly you do not stress the Expedit. Your Expedit will remain prestine for any other setting or someone else - Problem solved.
Any company that manufactures rack enclosures and dollys will be able to make a suitable dolly to place Expedit onto.
I'd prefer if the dolly extends 1.5 inch on all sides and there is are long holes to place your fingers drilled into the edge so you cannot slip your grip.
You can also easily transport the dolly by lifting it up in any of the drilled handles.

Let's not forget that a professional mover will empty the Expedit and move it on a dolly of much smaller size, or one small one an each end, with an extended board with an arm for pulling. After all they are professionals, but you can enjoy the same luxury in your home by either having a shelf liek the Expedit made for this (you do not) or making your Expedit safe to move by adding what the factory did not design into it (the dolly).

You might get lucky using wide metal plates under the Expedit for each castor and also one on top with a wide washer and nut per screw. But then you'd have the top plate, washer and nut & screw where you'd rather have books. And it doesn't look great either.

If you have a smooth wooden floor I'd get a movers blanket and do as suggested by someone else above: pull the blanket to position the Expedit. This is your best, cheapest and easiest solution. May not be the prettiest, but the castors will be large and raise the entire Expedit by the full size of the castors + the plate you add them to if you make a dolly. This blanket solution will also render your Expedit prestine and good for other uses and a new owner.

-Mikkel

Share |
mikkelbreiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 08, 11:43 am  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 32,550
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

The sky is falling.
Oh yes, and someone should warn IKEA, because they have EXPEDIT on both legs AND casters at my store.

The EXPEDIT carcass, for the most part, is made from thin (1/8") MDF. Look inside a LACK shelf and you'll see. Common sense...it's IKEA, not dovetailed, mortise and tenon oak. And any time you have a mobile object loaded with heavy crap that's open on both sides a little care is in order.

Screw the casters to a piece of 3/4" plywood cut to the same size as the bottom of your EXPEDIT. Paint if desired. Attach the ply using construction adhesive or short screws around the outer perimeter. Keep out of reach of small children or intoxicated adults.

Share |
splatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 08, 9:07 pm  
ted
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 106,530
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!