LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Feb 27th, 08, 4:47 pm   #1
sarschlos
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Costa Mesa
How do I get a built-in refrigerator look?

I would like to make a box to surround the refrigerator so that it has a finished/built in appearance. Can anyone show me how they did something like that?

Share |

sarschlos is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 27th, 08, 6:17 pm  
IKEA addict
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 33,418
Gallery: 21
Doorstyle: Adel MB, Birch and Stainless

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I've been blogged!
Re: How do I get a built-in refrigerator look?

Here are some pictures of one we just did. It requires at least two 3 x 8 panels and some good carpentry skills. You definitely need exact specs on the frig to make it work. This one was so tight, you could hear air rush out as we pushed it in! It was a pretty complicated task. How good are your carpentry skills?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Built-in Frig Final.jpg (59.7 KB, 719 views)
File Type: jpg Built-in Frig without countertops.JPG (41.8 KB, 711 views)

Share |
ikitchensetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 08, 7:38 pm  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Costa Mesa

Well, my carpentry skills are carp, but DH has built very nice furniture from scratch using instructions. How did you build your box?

Share |
sarschlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 08, 7:49 pm  
IKEA addict
GOLD Directory Member

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

The box is basically built out of 3' x 8' panels that are available for most of the cabinet styles. You need at least two depending out your design. You also need to build a frame/box that will bring the over-the-frig cabinet forward. Your hanging rail gets attached to the box. It requires some really good measuring and calculating to get it look right. If you don't want the "boxed-in" look you can just bring the panels and box forward whatever the depth of the side of the frig. If you want the box, then you need to cut the front strips. I choose to laminate the cut end of the filler strip towards the frig. If I didn't have edging that matched the cabinet style, I would have "wrapped" the panels so no cut edge would be seen.

It is really difficult to document all the steps that it took to achieve this. Maybe next time I do one of these, I'll try to take photos along the way and post a proceure.

Share |
Old Feb 29th, 08, 12:16 am  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 1,033
Gallery: 1

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikitchensetc View Post
Here are some pictures of one we just did. It requires at least two 3 x 8 panels and some good carpentry skills. You definitely need exact specs on the frig to make it work. This one was so tight, you could hear air rush out as we pushed it in! It was a pretty complicated task. How good are your carpentry skills?
Wow, that one is really well done.

Share |
yankeelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 08, 6:09 am  
IKEA addict
GOLD Directory Member

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Thank you very much. It was somewhat expensive due to the time and materials but the customer was very happy with the end result.

One tip: When the calculate the depth you need, make sure you account for the thickness of the electrical plug. Most of the time the actual depth away from the wall is larger than the published depth. This is becuase you hit the electrical plug which can be 1/2" to 3/4" thick on most 90 degree plugs.

Share |
Old Apr 3rd, 08, 12:05 am  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: Canada-Vancouver:Coquitlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikitchensetc View Post
That's fantastic! Are the 3 x 8 panels available in the planner? If so, what are they called I can't seem to find them.

Share |
LingoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 08, 7:41 am  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Burlington
Doorstyle: Adel MB

Those 3x8 panels are called "Perf Adel cvr pnl 3x8 Mbrn Na " Article No. 700-227-58 .This is for the Adel MB that I am about half finished assembling. The description and numbering will change with different styles and colours
I am not sure that they are available in the planner program but when you place your order your Ikean will know what you want.

As you do this built in layout be sure to consider your refrigerator height. You may have to lift the opening to make clearance for between the bottom of the cabinet door and the top of the frige hinge.

Share |

Last edited by irdave; Apr 3rd, 08 at 7:50 am..
irdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 08, 6:05 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 120,815
Gallery: 8
My IKEA: USA-Tampa:Ybor City
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown-Black +Abstrakt & Rubrik White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 6

I've been blogged!

Sweet! Love the sound of air rushing out.....

Share |
quiltmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 08, 6:31 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,808
Gallery: 77
My IKEA: USA-New York:Brooklyn
Doorstyle: Stat White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 6

The 3 x 8 cover panels are not in the planner. However, Irdave is correct in that your Ikean should know what you're referring to when you place the order.

Take a look in my gallery or blog (I can't remember at the moment) to see 2 pics of Chuck installing the over the fridge cabinet so it aligns with my fridge.

Share |
madp67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment