No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Mar 11th, 08, 11:44 am   #1
april.hatton
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 310
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:College Park
Question built in microwave in base cabinets

Has anyone built a microwave into an ikea base cabinet, I would like to do this in our island so that we have counter top space left open.

ideas and pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks

Share |

april.hatton is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 11th, 08, 12:29 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,808
Gallery: 77
My IKEA: USA-New York:Brooklyn
Doorstyle: Stat White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 6

Re: built in microwave in base cabinets

Welcome to IKEAFANS!!!

One of our members - Knutter - did actually do this with an over the fridge cabinet as a base one.

Here's the thread:
Where to put this microwave?!

Here's a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Micro in Base.jpeg (20.7 KB, 689 views)

Share |
madp67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 08, 3:54 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 8,471
Gallery: 20

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I have an almost-finished base microwave mod that I was going to post later, but here's what I have so far since you're asking.

This is a 24" base cabinet with one deep drawer and one standard drawer. Whats missing in the picture is I will eventually frame the microwave with filler to get that built-in look. Actually, I plan to build a one-piece frame from an oven panel, but you can use filler to save money.

The safety conscious folks out there will notice that I'm not using a trim kit for ventilation. Instead I've drilled large ventilation holes behind the microwave through to the floor. This might be some kind of code violation, so be careful.

To hold it firmly in place, the microwave is mounted to the shelf. To accomplish this, I replaced the microwave's rubber feet with wooden blocks of the appropriate height, which are then glued to the shelf. This might be a pain I ever need to separate the microwave from the shelf, but it seemed like the easiest way to install the thing.

One thing that was non-obvious to me in the beginning is that the microwave shelf does not actually need to live above the upper drawer front. As long as the shelf is clear of the drawer sides, you are good to go. Placing the shelf one hole down from the top of the drawer front allowed my microwave to fit in the space perfectly.

Hope that helps.

Share |
wtmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
iKarma Awarded to wtmoose for this Post
Date Member Comment Amount
Apr 9th, 14 Cinjolin Exactly the info i was looking for! 0
Old Mar 13th, 08, 6:06 pm  

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!

That looks fabulous! I hope it works well for you--will be interested to hear how the vent etc. works over time.

Share |
NBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 08, 9:46 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 6,304
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 15

I would consider leaving the microwave as is - it looks 'built-in' already, and the small side gaps will help with the venting (not sure about your m/ w - but most models have vents on the sides). Looks great.

Share |
Old Mar 16th, 11, 5:16 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 388

This is exactly what I want to do. The only problem I forsee is that I am using the Ramsjo Black doors. I am concerned with the white base showing. Any ideas?

Share |
crimsontribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 11, 7:20 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 181,285
My IKEA: USA-Orlando
Doorstyle: Ramsjo BB

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 

Ideas? I'm full of it...full of them, I mean. We're wrestling with the same thing, crimsontribe, but trying to conceal the birch-look cabinet box instead of the white. We're trimming all the boxes with peel and stick edgebanding, so the front edge won't be a huge problem, although I might band that one with iron-on birch veneer finished to match the Ramsjo doors*. For the shelf that the microwave will sit on, I could prevail on DH to locate his router so we can cover that shelf with black laminate ($13 for a 2x4 sheet at Home Depot). The inside of the cabinet - the part you might get a glimpse of if you drop to your knees and stick your head up next to the oven in which case you deserve a far greater penalty than the mere sight of birch melamine - that part we might camouflage with the black spray paint made for plastics. (Krylon or Rustoleum) Also under consideration: having Kitchen Owner buy a 15" Ramsjo black wall cabinet (cabinet only, no door, no shelves) IKEA | Built-in kitchens | AKURUM/RATIONELL system | RAMSJÖ | Wall cabinet with glass door so we can use the sides as the shelf material for the microwave.

Mostly, I'm going to lean on her to part with $100 for a microwave that will fill the space so well that anything beyond the edgebanding is fairly invisible. Magic Chef MCD1311ST 1.3cu St Steel Microwave

And it all seemed so simple when we started down this path...

* General Finishes Java stain, with their Pitch Black Glaze painted over it (don't wipe off very much if any), a couple of coats of some kind of sealer. So far, my best results are Minwax Wipe-On Satin polyurethane followed by a light misting of a matte clear finish whose name eludes me.

Share |
personalshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 11, 7:40 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 388

Would a cover panel be thick enough to hold the microwave?
I am going to use the wood countertop so maybe a piece of that for the shelf would be a good idea. I just wanted the sides of the shelf and the front edges to be black if possible. Maybe iron on is the way to go.

Dang my lust for a two toned kitchen with a black island! This could all be solved by using the white on the island.

Share |
crimsontribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 11, 8:08 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 181,285
My IKEA: USA-Orlando
Doorstyle: Ramsjo BB

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 

I think you just solved your problem - and mine - easily. Use the wood countertop material and stain it black with India ink?

Pictures of black-stained countertop here: Finished Kitchen: 1840 Farmhouse Kitchen, Lidingo and Tidaholm

Share |
personalshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 12, 9:24 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,030
My IKEA: USA-New York:Brooklyn

@wtmoose, how did you get the base cabinet short enough to fit the microwave? Was it a standard base cabinet height that you cut down? Or did they sell a short base cabinet back in '08? How is it holding up for you several years later? We are thinking of doing this, the only way to do it from what I can tell is to either cut down a 24" base cabinet, or to use a 30" above-the-fridge cabinet that is base cabinet depth. I would rather do the former since our island is going to be small and I don't want to waste those 6" of dead space next to the microwave, and I think the drawers would be much more functional under the microwave than cabinet doors. But I have concerns about the structural integrity of a cut-down base cab, especially with the weight of a microwave on top of it.

Share |
bklynman is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment