Old Mar 31st, 08, 12:08 pm   #1
madp67
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,808
Gallery: 77
My IKEA: USA-New York:Brooklyn
Doorstyle: Stat White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 6

Converting Akurum to File Drawers

This has been discussed in the past about converting kitchen cabinet drawers into filing drawers.

I'm wondering (actually, my sister is wondering) if using the Metafile system would work - pdf file with specs attached below.

Looking for assistance from the mod mavens.

Thanks so much.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Metafile.pdf (100.7 KB, 81 views)

Share |

madp67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 31st, 08, 6:26 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,808
Gallery: 77
My IKEA: USA-New York:Brooklyn
Doorstyle: Stat White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 6

Re: Converting Akurum to File Drawers

No replies, but a pic indicating it is possible has been found!

Panaluu has actually done this - now to know the details...

Here's one of Panaluu's pics.

Share |
madp67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 08, 8:37 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 6,282
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 15

Thanks for the info madp67 - one of my customers called me today with the same request! I'll check out the Blum hardware soon.

Share |
Old Mar 31st, 08, 9:41 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 409
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Doorstyle: Tidaholm

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Torrus,
I checked earlier today - a standard hanging file will fit into a 12.5" deep drawer but not into an 11.25" deep one. I had hopes that the IKEA deep drawer dividers would be tall enough to support the hanging files, but nope, they are too short.

The Metafile hardware looks cool - but how would you fasten it to the metal back of the drawer - or to the sides if you wanted to make a lateral file drawer?

Share |
woodswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 08, 7:35 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 409
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Doorstyle: Tidaholm

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Not to knock IKEA, but I went a different route for my file storage. I found a 30" wide two drawer "lateral" file cabinet from Staples.com on sale. It just arrived today and we assembled it in less than an hour. The assembly is very much like IKEA assembly, though the cabinet has a more solid back to it.

I am impressed with the cabinet - I got the oak which is darker than Tidaholm but which matches my antique oak very nicely (too bad this cabinet will not be in a room with any of the antiques ). The cabinet also comes in a cherry finish. The edges are solid wood and the panels are veneer. It is very heavy - 90 pounds - so it really did need two people to assemble it.

I put "lateral" in quotes - although Staples.com lists it as a lateral file cabinet, it isn't really. There are two configurations: in one, you can put legal size files with a short area for letter size to one side in the lateral direction. The other configuration allows two rows of letter size files in each drawer.

This file cabinet and the standard letter size narrower version are on sale until April 5:
Save 20% on select wood file cabinets

For $112 delivered, I consider this a great deal for a file cabinet!

Share |
woodswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 09, 5:53 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 2,946
Gallery: 27
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

Yup its mine. NOthing to it. We put the drawer unit on the floor to make it the right office hight instead of their legs. We bought some little pound in plastic feet things from HD which were basically nails with plastic bases. For the hanging files, it was as simple as a trip to Staples. They fit in perfectly w /o any fudging.

Share |
panaluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 14, 9:11 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 598
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Akurum lidi white

Quote:
Originally Posted by panaluu View Post
Yup its mine. NOthing to it. We put the drawer unit on the floor to make it the right office hight instead of their legs. We bought some little pound in plastic feet things from HD which were basically nails with plastic bases. For the hanging files, it was as simple as a trip to Staples. They fit in perfectly w/o any fudging.

Share |
Fitznh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 14, 9:14 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 598
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Akurum lidi white

Quote:
Originally Posted by panaluu View Post
Yup its mine. NOthing to it. We put the drawer unit on the floor to make it the right office hight instead of their legs. We bought some little pound in plastic feet things from HD which were basically nails with plastic bases. For the hanging files, it was as simple as a trip to Staples. They fit in perfectly w/o any fudging.
Hi! I'm drawing out office plans now using the akurum cabinets also. Do you think an 18" 3 drawer cabinet would work as well with the file frame insert? May I ask the measurement of your cabinet with the insert in the picture? Thank you! How have those little feet held up? Seems like you only need a 1/2 in boost to allow the drawer to open.

Share |
Fitznh is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment