No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old May 17th, 08, 7:10 pm   #1
jennesy
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 457
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-New York:Hicksville
Expedit & Hanging Files?

I have 2 Expedits in my office and I'm wondering if there's any way to turn one of the cubes into a filing cabinet. I want something where I can hang files. I've tried different hanging-file boxes but nothing fits in the Expedit cubes. The boxes that IKEA offers for Expedit don't work for hanging files.

Does anyone use their Expedit for storing hanging files? I'd love to hear what you've used!

Share |

jennesy is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old May 17th, 08, 7:16 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 222,383
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
Re: Expedit & Hanging Files?

Jennesy - Welcome to IKEAFANS.

I've assembled lots of Expidit bookcases, but have never had anyone ask me about them in the context of a hanging file. IKEA has only recently introduced doors and drawers for the unit. I think it's one of those pieces that's designed and manufactured to be used in a particular way.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 08, 10:52 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 430
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: blue grey applad

Hi, I have this question too, has anyone come up with a solution fitting some sort of hanging file in a expedit shelving unit???
thanks
krissy.

Share |
krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 09, 1:55 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 750

I'm also thinking about getting EXPEDIT and hack it to make some of them as hanging file drawers.

I haven't tried yet, but here is my idea...

1. Buy two-drawer kit, and make one big drawer front out of two shallow drawer front. Possible I'll do the same for back panel, too.

2. Attach one drawer damper to the drawer front (I'm thinking to attach it to upper half, but will need to test it around to find the most stable way).

3. Buy a metal file hanger like this, and attache to the drawer.

Do you all think it would work??

Since I haven't bought EXPEDIT yet, need to go to store to measure inside of the opening to make sure it will fit. Also I haven't see their drawer damper system in person yet either. Does it look like the same system from IKEA akurum drawer? If so, I guess I can only attach it at the bottom of the drawer...

Would appreciate any feedback on this idea!

Share |
kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 09, 1:56 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Elizabeth

Did anyone figure out how to acheive a filing cube in Expedit? I am looking for a solution to that too. Will lekman boxes accomodate the summera filing system? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Share |
shaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 10, 7:37 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 457
My IKEA: USA-New York:Hicksville

What I've done is get plastic file boxes from an office supply store and shove them in the Expedit. It's not ideal but it makes an impromptu "drawer" for my files in the Expedit. The boxes I have are from Office Depot and came with a lid, they have grooves on the side for hanging files.

Share |
jennesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 10, 11:53 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 111

A good post has recently gone up on Ikea Hacker about this - one of the square Kassett magazine boxes that fits perfectly in the Expedit cubbyholes is kitted out with what I think is a freestanding hanging file rail.

Here's the link:

ikea hacker: Hanging file boxes

Share |
Lyndar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 11, 5:29 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 330
Gallery: 1

I haven't tried it yet, but I think you could get the large Expedit drawer and put a hanging file frame in it. These are available for $5-15 at any office supply store. Most of them say they fit drawers 24-27" inches deep, so I don't know how easy it would be to trim them down to 15" or whatever the inside dimension of the drawer is.

Share |
MamaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 11, 2:33 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 158

We put together 4 of the Lekman plastic bins that fit in the Expedit boxes and used hanging folder rails purchased at Staples but not listed on their Web site. They are Oxford (Esselte) ActionFrame 18 designed for 14-18" drawers, rather than the more common 23"-27", and are just a bit too long. They have crimp marks to snap them down to 14" but I had to use pliers to make my own mark at about 13.5". Once I'd snapped off that extra bit, they fit in perfectly. A 2pack of rails was about C$15.

Share |

Last edited by davidpwhelan; Feb 20th, 11 at 3:18 pm..
davidpwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 11, 3:00 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 103
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Paramus

by far the easiest and most economical solution i've found was this snap-n-store box from office depot:

Snap N Store 70percent Recycled File Storage Box LetterLegal Size Black by Office Depot

just get some legal-sized hanging folders and you're done.

Share |
dreitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment