Old Jun 7th, 08, 1:40 pm   #1
Abster64
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 70
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:College Park
Blum Drawers and Fittings in IKEA cabs

Hello Everyone,
I am interested in building an Ikea kitchen but I would like to do a few things that I have not seen possible with the standard cabinets.

I would like to use Blum drawer systems and I wonder if I can use them in the Ikea cabinets. I would also be using the Blum slides to make things easy. I would also like the Blum sink cabinet drawer. Has anyone tried this?

In a 36" base cabinet, I would like to use three drawers rather than four. I saw a modification where someone glued the front panels together to operate as one large drawer. I need a large drawer for the top drawer rather than two separate drawers.

Thanks for your help!

Share |

Abster64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 7th, 08, 1:41 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 171,819
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise
Doorstyle: Stat or Lidi

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Re: Blum Drawers and Fittings in IKEA cabs

But…ikea uses Blum hardware, so what exactly do you want that's different?

EDIT I know that there's a mod here for drawers in sink cabinets. Let me see if I can find it for you.

Share |
Harpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 08, 1:48 pm  

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

Here's one discussing the pros and cons:

Domsjo double in a 36" drawer base???

and one about pullouts:

http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/modif...nder-sink.html

Share |
Old Jun 7th, 08, 2:18 pm  

iKarma: 12,799
Gallery: 22
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Burlington
Doorstyle: Adel White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!

HI,

I looked into using the BLUM Space Saver corner drawers cause I thought it was so cool........

Until I received a response back from the Blum company ......

read more here:

BLUM Space Saver corner drawers - complete with a response from Blum directly.......they are so cool.....

On a side note: the hardware in Ikea Cab's is Blum.

Hope that helps.

Deb

Share |
dalbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 08, 2:19 pm  
IKEA FAN

Hi Harpy,
I was talking about the Blum Tandembox drawers. Ikea does not appear to sell a 36" single drawer for the top position in the cabinet. Also, the sink drawer is for the top level of the cabinet. I know I am not explaining this correctly. I have included the links to the blum website for what I am looking for. It is really hard to get to but http://www.blum.com/popup/slideshow/...d=slm&pmod=slm for the sink drawer.

I would also like to use the Aventos system for the upper doors.

thanks!

Share |

Last edited by Abster64; Jan 3rd, 09 at 10:33 pm..
Old Jun 7th, 08, 2:21 pm  

LBG Adoptions

Oh, I see. That is pretty cool. I'm sure someone with more experience will be along to tell you why it would work, or not work.

Share |
Old Jun 7th, 08, 2:31 pm  

iKarma: 12,799
Gallery: 22
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Burlington
Doorstyle: Adel White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

I've been blogged!

Your best bet would be to contact Blum directly and tell them what you are thinking of doing with the Ikea cab's.

I got a response next day and even a place where I could get it from locally.

You can see my response here:

Got me on the hunt.....

How cool would this be......

So I emailed blum.......

I contact Blum regarding the corner cab - after telling him we wanted to put it in an Ikea 37 corner cab and we were really handy this is his reply.

********************************************************************************
Not to frighten you but....The Blum space corner with SYNCROMOTION will be no easy task for a (pardon the expression) do it your selfer.

All cuts, angles, runner placement and drilling dimensions need to be within a mm of tolerance or you will run into trouble. Cabinet shops with engineers, autocad drawing and CNC machinery can experience some trouble shooting on the first prototype.

You may require Blum planning software $150 but this will be well worth the investment even to do only one bank. Instructions to calculate drilling and cutting...unless you can read detailed drawings and have experience with drafting or engineering I would suggest don't even try it. Only you know your level of experience!

So yes
You can buy the hardware from CFH, Contemporary in Woodbridge .
DYNAPLAN 150 bucks if your serious in building the cabinet I really think you need this.
Yes instructions are available if that's the route you wish to take.
A visit to the Blum showroom is an available option to view the drawer. Friday late mornings the reps are in.

Regards

Tony Henry
Blum

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully your idea would be easier to execute than the corner drawers.

Deb

Share |
dalbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 08, 7:28 pm  

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 

I've been blogged!

I think I'd rather fit the max size sink in the smallest possible cab and get more drawers next to it instead of trying to work around the bowls. You lose a lot of room to the sides & rails of that thing. Now a pullout below for trash makes much more sense--lots of folks do something like that. You can even get a shallow bottom drawer plus pullouts above if you use Dulci's modification. Lots of great opportunities!

Share |
NBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 08, 7:40 pm  
IKEA FAN

Hi NBeth,
I actually plan to use the space under the sink for some trash recycling also. The problem is I need somewhere to put all the stuff that I use to clean dishes and my best friends kitchen has this setup and it is very convenient.

Another option is to build cabinets myself and use the blum hardware if the predrilled Ikea holes will not match the blum Tandembox hardware and glides.

Thanks!
Abster64

Share |

Last edited by Abster64; Jan 3rd, 09 at 10:32 pm..
Old Jun 17th, 08, 3:18 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: United Kingdom-Coventry
Doorstyle: Abstrakt White
Question Re: Blum Drawers and Fittings in IKEA cabs

Have you seen this system from Muellex?:

They actually sell them in Ikea Zurich in the store. The bin lid section is angled to hold your washing up items and then below you can have whatever configuration of bins you want. The bins are connected to the door so they tip open when the door is opened and then close under their lid when the door is shut. We thought it was pretty good and asked about it in store but there was somewhat of a language barrier because we were in the german speaking part of Switzerland.

Here's another configuration with three equal size bins:

Share |
m_13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment