LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Sep 17th, 08, 10:09 am   #1
alieholder
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 213
Gallery: 0
Cut white Pax door? Vinstra?

Hello! I am always on here posting about modifications. This time for the Pax. We have a set of Pax wardrobes, with one that has been modified for width so it is approximately 40 cm rather than the standard 50 cm. We are trying to figure out which Pax hinged doors will be the easiest to modify (cut narrower).

Ideally I want the Pax Vinstra high gloss white doors. Has anyone seen these close up and do you think we could cut it down on a decent table saw with a new blade?

Or an alternative Pax door in white that might be easier to cut neatly?

I was hoping to get the Vinstra dresser, and am looking for wardrobe doors that match fairly well.

Any advice gratefully received!

Share |

Last edited by alieholder; Sep 17th, 08 at 10:15 am..
alieholder is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Sep 22nd, 08, 12:26 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 225,114
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
Re: Cut white Pax door? Vinstra?

As with any of the IKEA pieces, your relative success in cutting the doors will depend on just how careful you are in doing so, and the equipment you use.

The first thing is to start with a brand new, fine tooth blade - the more teeth, the merrier. There are blades made for particular types of cuts, and if you can find one that says it's for fine or finish cuts, I'd go with that one. I also think a thinner blade is better than a fatter/thicker one.

The finishes on IKEA products change all the time, and so it's hard for me to judge whether one will cut better than another. What cut well a year ago might not do so well today. A good example of this is the Akurum Abstrakt line - it's nowhere near as good as it was a couple of years ago.

That being said, take your time, carefully measure and layout your cuts, and use the new, thin blade and you should do well. If you want to experiment, see if you can buy a smaller version of the actual door you want to use - is there one available for the wall cabinets that you could use as practice?

Share |
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote

Comment