Old May 18th, 09, 8:47 pm   #1
Dwarfskinner
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 260
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Modifying wall cabinet heights

Greetings,

I'm in the midst of my kitchen renovation and have identified 2 areas I wish to modify...one being an over the fridge cabinet (24*24*24) and the other a 24*30 wall cab with a microwave oven mounted underneath.

In both cases I only need to fudge the height by a couple of inches. I'm not adverse to cutting the cabs down...I'm just curious if someone has done the same and has any tips or tricks to make the mods look seemless.

The microwave cabinet needs to be cut to accomadate a GE Spacemaker PEM31 which several articles in this forum have addressed. I don't much care for the fact that the oven hangs about 2.5'' lower than the cabinet; hence I want to cut that amount from the cabinet.

The fridge unit only requires about 1'' cut...I could go with the 15'' cab but don't really want to as I'm so close to a snug fit.

Thanks for your consideration and comments.

D

Share |

Dwarfskinner is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old May 18th, 09, 8:54 pm  
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 84,312
Gallery: 2962
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

Re: Modifying wall cabinet heights

Hey! Nice avatar

I know cutting cabinets down has been done several times with good success. You might try:
http://www.ikeafans.com/index.php?op...FORID:11&hl=en
Hope the link turns out ok there... It's a sitewide search.

A more specific thread with useful info is:
24 or 27" wall oven cab

James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources
Tigratrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 09, 8:59 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 221,833
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!

Cutting the cabinet height isn't difficult, if you're half handy.

The bigger issue is going to be your doors and getting them to fit on the "new" cabinets. Some styles, by their design, are more amenable to shortening; others, by their design, are real bears to try and shorten.

Share |
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 09, 9:17 pm  
Installer

iKarma: 18,053
Gallery: 51
Doorstyle: Kalsebo, Arlig Beech
I've been blogged!

Like Chuck already mentioned, before modifying the sizes of cabinets, you want to make sure that there are door sizes that will match the new, modified cabinet sizes.

Changing the sizes of most Ikea doors is usually not an easy proposition. The usual option for may people is to use custom made doors (not from Ikea), which can be ordered in the required sizes to start with, but you do have to know the modified cabinet sizes before ordering the doors anyway. This also tends to be a more expensive solution.

Another more affordable option (when possible) is to use a combination of standard doors and filler pieces, but that will depend on the creativity of your designer/installer.

Share |
Old May 18th, 09, 9:38 pm  
IKEA FAN

Wow thanks for the quick responses

The doors on microwave cab are my main concern. I guess what I'm really after is 'What do I need to know/do if for fitting the doors?' Is a router the way to go for making the new 1 3/8'' cutout or is there a drill tool method I can use? Also, what to use for the filler material...Bondo?

I'm thinking of cutting up to 4'' off of each door of the microwave cab; 2'' on each end. The finish is Adel Birch which should cut and sand well.

Grats

Share |

Last edited by Dwarfskinner; May 18th, 09 at 9:45 pm.. Reason: clarity
Old May 19th, 09, 12:02 am  
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 84,312
Gallery: 2962
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

If you're ok with the rails being a bit thin top and bottom .

Too bad it's not Nexus Birch, the slab doors would be a lot easier to deal with.

2 inches... Does that clear the hinges ok?

James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources
Tigratrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 09, 12:18 am  
Installer

iKarma: 18,053
Gallery: 51
Doorstyle: Kalsebo, Arlig Beech
I've been blogged!

That would be pretty dämn close to the hinge holes on the door.

But besides that, the hinge itself would bump against the top/bottom part of the cabinet when attempting to close the door.

Share |
Old May 19th, 09, 7:17 am  
IKEA FAN

I'm thinking of making new hinge holes...thats the 1 3/8'' cutout I was refering to.

Also, I may take 4'' off...I could probably live with 2'' total. If I can get 4'' then that would allow me to install some puck lighting directly underneath the microwave.

Thanks again.

Share |
Old May 19th, 09, 10:05 am  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 221,833
Gallery: 6
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!

Two inches of cut-off on each end is going to get you into the structure of the door, too - the dowels that hold it together are that close to the edges of the door.

As for re-drilling the hinge holes, you're going to need to be very careful with your alignment of them in relation to the holes for the hinge plates, though there are ways to deal with that if you don't align properly.

Share |
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 09, 8:00 pm  
IKEA FAN

Done...not as hairy as I thought but then again I chickened out and only cut 1 1/4'' from each side. This was fortunate as the door hinges just rubbed against the frame...had to break out the dremel for a little surface prep so the doors would shut on their own.

I'm thinking about ditching the usual suspects for the over fridge cabinet and using a horizontal cab instead. I'm thinking about just framing it out so that the front will be 2'; even with the base cabs. Havent seen this mentioned in these forums...how hard could it be

Share |

Comment