No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jun 15th, 10, 8:34 am   #1
SuperX7
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 404
Gallery: 0
Modifying/cutting vika table top?

Hi guys,

I'm considering buying some ikea vika table tops and modify them as I cannot find furniture to suit my needs anywhere without dishing out 3K....

Does anyone have any experience cutting ikea table tops and if so what the best way is to go about it? I read somewhere that sometimes they are hollow?

I'm looking to get 1 vika table top 150cm x 75cm as the top, 2 vika table tops 75cm x 75cm as the SIDES (legs) and another vika 150cm x 75cm table top to use as a DRAWER. I'll need to cut the "drawer" top as it would be too wide (and I need to fit rails in).

Question is, would it be ok to take off about 3.4cm from each side to fit the rails, and also if it will be strong enough to support some weight?

Hope someone can shed light on this matter

Regards,

S

Share |

SuperX7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 15th, 10, 9:12 am  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 230,182
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
Re: Modifying/cutting vika table top?

Welcome to IKEAFANS, SuperX7.

From your dimensions, I'm assuming you're dealing with the Amon series of tops, which are made from the dreaded honeycomb material. It means beyond a thin perimeter, the tops are essentially hollow.

You can cut these, but you will need to fill in the ends to provide some strength to the edges. And you will need to take care so as not to chip the finished top surface when you make your cuts.

But your biggest obstacle may be that the honeycomb material won't support much weight, so making and supporting a drawer may be an issue.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 10, 2:29 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 404
Gallery: 0
Re: Modifying/cutting vika table top?

Hi and thanks for the reply and welcome Chuck...

I can see it being a problem if its hollow.... I guess cutting the sides and filling is out of the question.

What if I attach the rails directly onto the sides of the table without cutting in... Do you think it would be adequate? Also any ideas how thick the edges are so I dont use too long screws?

S

Share |
SuperX7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment