iKarma: 875
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Adel

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Modifying an upper cabinet into an 18" base cabinet

We've installed our kitchen base cabinets, but have yet to put plywood or countertop onto them. In a peninsula, we used 2 upper 24"-wide cabinets as base cabinets essentially back to back. This was so one of the uppers (used as a base) can be accessed from an adjacent dining area. The other upper is sandwiched between a 12" base and a 24" sink base.

But I now (belatedly, of course) see the opportunity for a useful modification. Because the base cabinets are against a pony wall 7" thick, there is a 7" gap between the 2 backs of the upper cabinets. So I could take out the back divider of the upper used as a base on the kitchen side, add a bottom of some sort to cover the 7" open bottom of the new, deeper cab. I've already got side walls on this 7" space--- the side walls of the adjacent base cabs the upper is sandwiched between. It's true that these side walls are 3/4" wider (on each side) in this new back 7" of the cabinet expansion, but I could fur them out. And I could drill shelf hardware holes back there. I mounted this upper on 2x4 ledger at it's back (and Ikea legs in front), so the cabinet has great support underneath it and is nicely sandwiched between strong adjacent base cabs.

Basically, it will be relatively easy to make the 12" deep upper cab into a 19" deep lower cab with shelves. But what I'd really like to do is put drawers into this cabinet. (Because shelving in lower cabs has always seemed hard to use to me.) And thus my question: does anyone know of any Ikea hardware that I could use in cabinets that are 18" or 19" deep for pullout drawers?

Over the last 18 months we've been slowly slogging through deconstruction and building a new house. During that time, this site has been a wonderful resource. It sure made the kitchen installation go a lot easier. I really appreciate all of the time and effort that so many of you have put into sharing your knowledge--- many thanks!

Share |

orangecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 13th, 07, 7:10 pm  
Moderator; Member #123

iKarma: 10,898
Gallery: 53
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Lidingo (+ Hallarum in master suite)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

I've been blogged!
I've heard people talk about cutting down the sides of the drawers, but haven't known anyone to actually do it. You'd have to cut down the drawer glides too, and it seems like there would be many opportunities to mess up. I'm sure you've already considered whether the 12" deep drawers would be useful.

One thing that I know is easy and effective is sliding shelves. I made a 24x24" shoe cabinet with sliding shelves, and it's great. I bought Euroglides (or something like that) at HD for $6 per pair; they come in many lengths. The instructions show you how you need to cut the edge off the shelf, mount the glides, and you're done. Oh, and buy the 153-degree Ikea hinges so you can pull the shelves out. I'll attach a picture.

Kathy

Share |
kmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 07, 7:51 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 875
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Adel

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

thanks; clever idea

Kathy (or do we call you Imelda?)
That seems like a good way to do it. I'd thought I'd have to get some expensive hardware from a cabinet supply maker, and that finding the non-standard length would be a problem. But $6 from the Despot? Done. I'll go down and get some tonight and then build shelves/a drawer to put onto them. Thanks!

Share |
orangecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 07, 10:02 pm  
Moderator; Member #123

iKarma: 10,898
Gallery: 53
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Lidingo (+ Hallarum in master suite)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

I've been blogged!
The funny thing about this is that I'm so enamored of my shoe cabinet that I'm sort of finding it hard to put anything IN it! I realize that the more I escalate the organizational possibilities in my house, the more paralyzed I am when it comes to deciding what actually goes where. I just keep installing cabinets, and maybe next year I'll fill them up! I think it's bizarre, and I wonder if anyone else has this problem. I'm still struggling with what deserves the precious drawer space in my kitchen, installed 14 months ago.

But I'm so glad you found this idea helpful. Keep us posted on how it works out!

Imelda

Share |
kmcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment