Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Feb 15th, 07, 3:32 pm   #1
kuma
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 750
Gallery: 0
Modify 24'' deep cab to 18'' for bathroom sink vanity?

Hi,

I need your help on the idea of cutting down the depth of base cabinet from 24'' to shorter!

I'm looking for 24'' wide 18'' deep bathroom sink vanity, 24'' wall cab + 15'' tall wall cab as bench+strage for my bathroom. I'm thinking about semi-recess install for the wall cabinet.

I looked for many comapnies for this option since I would like to have matched door style for my all bathroom furnitures. Since our budge is a bit tight, it seems IKEA kitchen cabinet will be the best option for price and quality!

So now, I'm wondering how hard it would be to cut the base cab depth from 24'' down to 18'' for my vanity. We don't have enough space for 24'' deep vanity... I installed IKEA kitchen cabinet for my kitchen last summer, it looks like we need to cut everything in 18'' deep, then drill several halls and shallow regle to have the back panel slide in.

But I'm not sure it will be that simple?? Do we need to do any extra things to make it strong enought to stand for the daily use?

I would also love to see your pictures or hear tips and "todo"/"don't do" from your experience!

Another question related to this project, I'm wondering what would be the drawer option for this modified vanity. I love the idea of using dead-front panel for sink cab converted into the usable drawer at the bottom of the cab. Since we will have only 18'' deep, my only option will be w24'' d12'' drawer. correct? Is there any other options?

Also, if we want to add more drawer behind the door, can I use the same drawer with different hinges for the door?

I had a bad experience that I installed w18'' d20'' drawer in to my kitchen cabinet with regular hinges, then I found out that I can't pull the drawer out I had to un-install and drive 1 hour to return it. I believe IKEA didn't carry the different hinges at the time. Would be great to hear about new hinges and drawer option to make this vanity more usable.

Thanks for your help in advance!

-kuma

Share |

Last edited by kuma; Feb 15th, 07 at 3:38 pm..
kuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 22nd, 07, 8:38 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 6,125
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 15

There is no problem with cutting the 24" deep base cabinet to 18" - just use particle board screws to fasten the sides together...there is a 18" shallow drawer box available - use the 153 degree hinges if placing drawers on the inside (behind doors).

Share |
torrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 07, 9:04 pm  
IKEA FAN

Thank you, Torrus!

Thank you Torrus for your reply!

I almost gave up on the idea, so it's great to hear, especially from YOU, that we can still use IKEA cabinet for our bathroom!

If anybody has cut down their cabinet and has pictures, I would really really appreciate to see them!

I'll try to look for the sink which would fit this modified cabinet next!

Thanks again!

-kuma

Share |
Old Feb 22nd, 07, 9:23 pm  
IKEA FAN

18'' deep drawer

Hi Torrus,

I just went to IKEA website to look for 18'' deep drawer box, but couldn't find them.

Is it possible that they are still new that ikea US hasn't post them on their web site yet??

If you know the link to the drawer, or where to find it online, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks again!
-chiaki

Share |
Old Feb 22nd, 07, 9:27 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 6,125
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 15

The article # for the 18x12" deep drawer is 501.089.27 (these drawers are soft closing).

Share |
torrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment