No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jul 13th, 11, 8:40 am   #1
teacherchick
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 3,435
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Cincinnati:West Chester
Blind Corner Wall Cabinet - how to make useful

We wanted to do a regular corner cabinet in our new kitchen, but because of our 1980's soffits, we're stuck with the blind corner.

How can I make them more useful? I currently have a 36" butted to a 21" cabinet. (see pic ). I found on an older thread here and idea to make the wall cabinet similar to the base - there was just no reply to the idea. I posted that pdf pic as well.

Is it possible to connect two uppers and cut out the the side of one? Will it still be stable enough to be functional?

I really despise the blind corner wall cabinet, but we're stuck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1621.JPG (1.86 MB, 100 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wall cabinet.pdf (61.5 KB, 39 views)

Share |

teacherchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jul 13th, 11, 9:46 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 12,769
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-Round Rock
Doorstyle: Workspace/Craft Room: Nexus & Adel Birch, Kitchen: Lidingo Glass & Stat White
Re: Blind Corner Wall Cabinet - how to make useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherchick View Post
I really despise the blind corner wall cabinet, but we're stuck!
Then ditch the whole blind corner problem and open up the space around your window - you won't regret it!

My original kitchen design had wall cabinets squeezed into every possible inch of available space - I had a corner cabinet and a skinny cabinet next to it in one corner next to a doorway in my original design, and I ended up dropping those on the advise of many people here - on my "sink" side I actually only have two wall cabinets, and neither is full of stuff. I actually don't have a ton of stuff in any of my upper cabinets, since I went from a total of 5 drawers in my kitchen (2 of which were only 12" wide) to a whopping 26.. I have all the storage space I need and then some.

Here's an idea for you (and I ditched the glass doors near the cooktop - the Lidi doors will be a nightmare to keep clean there due to the way they are put together - you'll end up with grease behind the slats)

http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com/US/UI...SharedDesign=1

Share |

Last edited by sarahspins; Jul 13th, 11 at 9:58 am..
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 11, 12:39 pm  
IKEA FAN

I love the concept - I'll have to run it by DH .

The planner you used was an old one - we don't have room for an island, we need to keep our peninsula. I like it though, it breaks up the space for me.

I think in the end I'd only be losing the size of a 12" cabinet, plus we're actually gaining two or three pantries.

Thanks - this site has been great so far!!

I forgot to add the new planner link: http://tinyurl.com/6zy8dm5

Share |

Last edited by teacherchick; Jul 13th, 11 at 12:43 pm.. Reason: forgot to add:
Old Jul 13th, 11, 1:08 pm  
IKEA FANatic

Doorstyle: Workspace/Craft Room: Nexus & Adel Birch, Kitchen: Lidingo Glass & Stat White

Oh, well ignore the island then, I didn't realize it was an old version.. but you could still do something similar with the wall cabinets

I know it's scary to feel like you might be "giving up" some cabinet space (especially compared to what you have now in your current kitchen) but once you realize how much more efficient IKEA cabinets are in general (especially those pantries) you'll realize that it's not going to be much of a problem at all. We technically have fewer wall cabinets now than we did before, but we have a TON more useable storage space, and we are much happier with the more open feel of the sink area.

Also, I should add that removing the soffits in our kitchen wasn't as scary as we expected... we couldn't be happier that we did it (we also removed a wall and a closet so we were going to have drywall work to do no matter what). Ours were 14" tall and didn't really give us enough room for even 30" cabinets - our prior kitchen had used 24" high cabinets!

Share |
Old Jul 13th, 11, 2:08 pm  
IKEA FAN

This is an even newer concept - I must admit I stole it from a pretty popular thread around here about "dalbrough's" finished kitchen.

How would the window wall look if it wasn't equally balanced around the window? We have the cabinets to the right of the window right on the edge. Do you think it would look 'off'?

http://kitchenplanner.ikea.com:80/US...SharedDesign=1

Share |
Old Jul 13th, 11, 2:14 pm  
IKEA FANatic

I would definitely open up more space to the right.. it doesn't need to be as much as there ends up being on the left, but having the cabinets right up to the window is going to make it seem closed in, plus you end up blocking a fair amount of natural light in your space.

Share |

Comment