Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Mar 3rd, 07, 3:33 pm   #1
Orijnal
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 90
Gallery: 0
Stain to match the Billy black-brown color?

I am planning to do a project using two Billy bookcases (adding some molding, creating some connecting shelves between them, etc.) and need to determine how to match the original finish of the bookcases as close as possible. Does anyone know of stain color (specific brand name, if available) that matches the black-brown finish? Also, any other tips on how to get to finish of the new wood to match these bookcases would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Share |

Orijnal is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 3rd, 07, 7:18 pm  
Moderator; Member #123

iKarma: 10,898
Gallery: 53
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Lidingo (+ Hallarum in master suite)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

I've been blogged!
I have not looked at them side by side, but I did a refinishing project that looks pretty darn close. I used General Finishes Java over bleached oak, and it came out great. Espresso color is essentially the same, just a different type of stain. Most stores carry only one of the general finishes gel stains, so you can get either one. I got mine at Rockler. It's worth going out of your way to find it. Great product, kind of fun to use.

Kathy

Share |
kmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 08, 9:14 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: USA-Detroit:Canton
Re: Stain to match the Billy black-brown color?

HI Orijnal,

Where you able to match the black-brown stain? I'm about to start a project and would like to match my fireplace mantel to that color... Can you please share with me what type of wood did you use and what products did you end up using?

Thanks!

Share |
erawac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 08, 4:04 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 655

I also used General Finish Java to match Black-brown finsh (for kitchen cabinets instead) and the match is great. I used it over birch.

Share |
wrtau23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 08, 9:17 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: USA-New York:Brooklyn

Hello, I have an ikea table which is a light brown and I would like to make into a darn brown to match all my other furniture. Can you all suggest the step by step process on how I can do this? Do i just by the paint and paint over it or do I have to do something before hand to prep it? Can you all also suggest the specific paint color and brand to buy to match the black brown color

Share |
NYC82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 08, 9:27 am  
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 83,052
Gallery: 2962
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

I think Kathy covered that up above. As for the steps, Id probably start be seeing what the application instructions are for the General Finishes. Looks like Java is a popular color btw , Rockler's sold out till Nov 20th!

Anyway, love to hear how it turns out, and we'd REALLY love to see some pictures! We're hunting for nice shots for the site blog doncha know

This was Kathy's post that I was talking about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcg View Post
I have not looked at them side by side, but I did a refinishing project that looks pretty darn close. I used General Finishes Java over bleached oak, and it came out great. Espresso color is essentially the same, just a different type of stain. Most stores carry only one of the general finishes gel stains, so you can get either one. I got mine at Rockler. It's worth going out of your way to find it. Great product, kind of fun to use.

Kathy
James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources
Tigratrus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 10, 7:40 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 202

From the rockler.com website: This stain is great. I had a customer who wanted their desk to match the Ikea black brown finish. 2 coats of the General Finishes Java gel stain and 1 coat of Minwax ebony, and you have it.

Share |
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 12, 5:10 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 134
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

I just did a table with the Rockler Java stain and it's almost perfect. The clerk said that because it's oil-based, you can just squirt a tiny bit of black artist's oil paint into the can and stir it up to get it exactly right.
If you need to paint something, just take one of the pieces to any paint store. They can scan it on their computer and make a perfect match.

Share |
Editoranne is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment