LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Feb 13th, 12, 4:16 pm   #1
TJINSF
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 410
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Can you screw hooks into a Billy Bookcase?

Hi,

I'm new to this (the forum, as well as building or modifying any piece of furniture), but have a question and I was hoping someone out there had the answer and/or some advice for me. I'd like to build a coat cubby for my 3 small children -- like those cubbies they have in preschool. My plan was to use a short skinny Billy bookcase in white and sandwich it between 2 sets of Billy extenders to make each cubby. Question 1: can you screw coat hooks into the bookcase? I'd want to put hooks on each of the 3 sides inside of each of the skinny bookcases. Question 2: how do I attach the extender units to the skinny bookcase? Question 3: how do I attach all 3 cubbies together? Like I said, I'm new to all of this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Share |

TJINSF is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 14th, 12, 1:44 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 233,385
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
Re: Can you screw hooks into a Billy Bookcase?

Welcome to IKEAFANS, TJ.

I don't fully understand what configuration you're trying to create (maybe you could post a drawing), but there are still issues that need to be addressed.

First and foremost, this isn't a project to be taken on lightly. You've said you're "new to all of this", and we have no idea what kind of tools and skills you have. I would think long and hard before taking on this project yourself.

That being said, Billy height extenders aren't designed, constructed or engineered to bear much weight, so using them as a bench probably isn't the best idea. They also don't have a bottom, so they don't actually "hold" anything.

The Billy line is made from particleboard, so the components will hold screws fairly well. This means you can install coat hooks, and it is relatively simple to use screws or other fasteners (like connect sleeves) to secure together the various units.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 12, 2:27 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 410
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto

Thanks for your reply, Chuck! I appreciate your feedback. I don't have a picture (it's still in my head), but I did upload a quick visual & explanation so you can see what I'm trying to do. We don't have a high skill level, but we have managed to put together 2 Malm dressers & 2 Pax wardrobes and we have installed coat hooks into our closets with one of those electric screwdriver drill things (sorry I'm a total amateur, so I have no idea what it's called). Are those extenders meant to be used only on top of the bookcase and not on the bottom? If so, I guess my next thought would be used one extender on top of the short billy, and put the whole thing on top of something else. Your thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: xls Billy Cubby.xls (26.5 KB, 3 views)

Share |
TJINSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 12, 7:04 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 233,385
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!

You are correct that the extenders are only intended to go on top of the bookcases, so you're a good part of the way home.

Obstacle #1 to the final part is there's no standard way to install an extender under a bookcase, but you could use "L" brackets or similar hardware to accomplish this.

Obstacle #2 would be the whole "using the extender as a seat" idea, which I mentioned above. My initial thought of your layout involved 80cm. extenders, so using the 40's is a bit better, because they're not as wide and thus subject to less weight (narrower opening=smaller/lighter bottoms).

Depending on your skills, etc., as well as how finished you need this to look, you could use a piece of plywood cut to size and laid across the top of the lower extender to add extra strength to your configuration.

Obstacle #3

Regardless of how you proceed, you're going to need to secure he whole layout to the wall in a few places at the top and bottom.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
billy , cubby